Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a box of remington 22 shells and a knife came with it. It looked pretty good, but when I took it out of the box it had the letters ''made in china'' on it. I wish they would have on the outside of the box where it was made at. I thought all remington knives were made in the USA.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Had it happen before. It sucks big time doesn't it :? Life is good, BestLever

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
My current clip knife is a Remington folder, made in China. :?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I had a Remington sheath knife, probably still do, but I don't know where it is. It was in the family, my Grandfather was the foreman in the brass forming end of Remington when they made ammunition in Bridgeport. It had an up swept blade, real nice for skinning, took a razor edge easily, but the steel was rather soft and I'd loose the edge quickly. Sounds like things have gone down hill since then.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The last 20 years or so, Remington folders were made by Camillus, I believe.
That was, until China got so heavily involved in the game.

I am starting back into carrying some cutlery to sell along with my hand forged items at craft shows and blacksmithing demonstrations...as I used to do 15 years ago.

I prefer to carry the first rate goods from US, Germany, Switzerland etc.

I know that there will be some folks who just cannot afford a higher priced knife......

Here's my question...

Do any of those Chinese made or assembled knives have quality steel in them ?

Do any of them use German or Japanese steel for their blades ?

What about Frost of Tn ?

What's your experience ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe some of the Remingtons are still made here, but many are now made in China. I am very careful when I buy a knife, but I have got burned a few times.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
An interesting sidelight;

Jim Frost has some "world knives" that are interesting.
Frost owns Bertram cutlery (Hen&Rooster) of Germany..very fine knives.
Frost claims that they take blade steel from Bertram and send it to factories in China for assembly.

Just out of curiosity, I bought a half dozen pocket knives with burnt peachseed handles .
Scary, the quality of workmanship is incredible for knives that are about $8 @ in batches..

These knives are the "Steel Warrior" line.

If the steel is as Frost says...it's tough news for our own cutlers.

We will have to pay more just to retain our mfgrs....but that may be necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts