Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did Remington take over Marlin 1894 manufacturing and turn a nice gun into something that
needed help and lots of it??

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
My 1894 was a basket case, sadly it was a JM, three trips back to Marlin and finally the consignment rack.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had a jm 1894 it was a good little rifle. I'm a .44 mag aficionado and I load heavy high velocity and with its slow twist barrel I could get any accuracy at all with anything over 260 grains which I consider light. My only option was to rebbarell which would have cost me as much as the rifle. So I went with a Rossi 1892 which is an infinitely stronger action and half the price. So I sold the 1894 it just wasn't the rifle for me.

Scott

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I look for pre Remlin guns. I want no headaches! Guys sending them back several times to be correctly fixed is crazy. I bought Marlin guns like this(when they were real Marlins!)................ Ok, I like your display gun, do you have another in back unopened in the box? If so, I'll take that one.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I look for pre Remlin guns. I want no headaches! Guys sending them back several times to be correctly fixed is crazy. I bought Marlin guns like this(when they were real Marlins!)................ Ok, I like your display gun, do you have another in back unopened in the box? If so, I'll take that one.

Sadly those days are long gone.

·
Registered
901 Posts
When did Remington take over Marlin 1894 manufacturing and turn a nice gun into something that
Technically, we were Bought by CERBERUS/FREEDOM GROUP/REMINGTON in January 2008.

It was a few months before they Started To Muddy Up things at North Haven Marlin.

We were told by REMINGTON C.O.O. Joe Gross in our Cafeteria on March 25th, 2010 that NORTH HAVEN MARLIN WILL BE CLOSED IN A YEAR.

Around April/May 2010 the first group of North Haven Marlin Employees are TERMINATED, and the first pieces of Equipment in the Wood Room are 'Bagged & Tagged" to be sent off to Remington in Lexington,Missouri (Formerly S&K Gunstocks)

ALL NORTH HAVEN MARLIN RIFLE ASSEMBLY ENDED IN AUGUST 2010.

That's when we "Bagged & Tagged" ALL the Assembly Equipment to be put on Trucks to be sent to Ilion,NY Remington (Lever Action), & Mayfield,Kentucky Remington (Bolt Action).

ALL BARREL & RECEIVER PRODUCTION IS STOPPED AT THE END OF DECEMBER 2010.

The Final Manufacturing Line Shutdown in North Haven Marlin was the 60 Bolt Line in February 2011.

March 31st, 2011 was the day I, and a handful of others were TERMINATED.

North Haven Marlin was Locked Up after April 1st, 2011, and a Skeleton Crew were left to clean up the building, remove anything that wasn't going to Remington, or sold to the public, and Scrap It All.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

North Haven Marlin was Locked Up after April 1st, 2011, and a Skeleton Crew were left to clean up the building, remove anything that wasn't going to Remington, or sold to the public, and Scrap It All.
I bet that skeleton crew found some cool Marlin stuff.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
KON, thanks for posting that chronology.

In reading through it I took note of something being the woodwork equipment went to Lexington, Missouri and Lever Action to Ilion,NY. Are you saying ALL woodwork equipment including that which produces Lever Stocks went to Lexington?

If yes, that makes no sense to me. Maybe you could shed some light on how they match up the woodwork (stocks) to firearms metal when the two plants are separated like this. In other words, does this explain why we're witnessing such dismal fitting?

Thanks in advance KON.

Jack

·
Registered
901 Posts
KON, thanks for posting that chronology.

In reading through it I took note of something being the woodwork equipment went to Lexington, Missouri and Lever Action to Ilion,NY. Are you saying ALL woodwork equipment including that which produces Lever Stocks went to Lexington?

If yes, that makes no sense to me. Maybe you could shed some light on how they match up the woodwork (stocks) to firearms metal when the two plants are separated like this. In other words, does this explain why we're witnessing such dismal fitting?

Thanks in advance KON.

Jack
Yes Jack,
It doesn't make sense, but to my knowledge almost all of the Woodroom Equipment went out to Lexington,Missouri Remington.
Dom could answer that question to a certainty, as he was in charge of them at the time.
If either Remington Plant doesn't follow any Gage or Inspection Process Properly, you will not get a Proper Fit.

When it was all under ONE ROOF, you knew right away when there was ANY Issue, and said Issue could be taken care of VERY Fast.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Technically, we were Bought by CERBERUS/FREEDOM GROUP/REMINGTON in January 2008.

It was a few months before they Started To Muddy Up things at North Haven Marlin.

We were told by REMINGTON C.O.O. Joe Gross in our Cafeteria on March 25th, 2010 that NORTH HAVEN MARLIN WILL BE CLOSED IN A YEAR.

Around April/May 2010 the first group of North Haven Marlin Employees are TERMINATED, and the first pieces of Equipment in the Wood Room are 'Bagged & Tagged" to be sent off to Remington in Lexington,Missouri (Formerly S&K Gunstocks)

ALL NORTH HAVEN MARLIN RIFLE ASSEMBLY ENDED IN AUGUST 2010.

That's when we "Bagged & Tagged" ALL the Assembly Equipment to be put on Trucks to be sent to Ilion,NY Remington (Lever Action), & Mayfield,Kentucky Remington (Bolt Action).

ALL BARREL & RECEIVER PRODUCTION IS STOPPED AT THE END OF DECEMBER 2010.

The Final Manufacturing Line Shutdown in North Haven Marlin was the 60 Bolt Line in February 2011.

March 31st, 2011 was the day I, and a handful of others were TERMINATED.

Wish I could have been there to pick-up some of the scraps.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Yes Jack,
It doesn't make sense, but to my knowledge almost all of the Woodroom Equipment went out to Lexington,Missouri Remington.
Dom could answer that question to a certainty, as he was in charge of them at the time.
If either Remington Plant doesn't follow any Gage or Inspection Process Properly, you will not get a Proper Fit.

When it was all under ONE ROOF, you knew right away when there was ANY Issue, and said Issue could be taken care of VERY Fast.
Kon,

Then it does make sense that we see so much hit and miss in Remlin's with more miss than hits. I would ask what were they thinking but the answer is obvious. It is a case of manufacturing malpractice.

Jack

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jack,
I just got confirmation that I was correct.
NONE of our Woodroom Machinery went to the Ilion, NY or Mayfield,Kentucky Remington Plants.
It ALL went to the Lexington,Missouri Remington Plant.
I just wanted to be absolutely certain the information was correct.
Just in case I was somewhere else in Marlin working on something, or prepping Machines to travel when they were prepping the Woodroom Machines to go out to Remington. We were doing Multiple Departments some weeks during the Transition Year.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Seems like I had read before that they were making the stocks in Ky. and slapping them on in NY. Unbelievable.
I kinda view them like kit guns now. Buy one, take it apart, reblue it, file down all the burrs, install new screw, correct the woodwork and you'll have yourself a nice gun.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Remington bought S&K Gunstocks out in Lexington,Missouri back in 2009/2010, and turned it into their Woodroom for ALL of their Marlin Production.

So, if there is any rework, they have to put the wood back on a truck, and send it back to Missouri.

They were totally in the dark with our Equipment.
I answered a lot of Questions by Phone & Email for them out there.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
KON, thanks for the confirmation.

Apparently, some stuff shirts who haven't a darn clue about manufacturing sabatoged their efforts from the very beginning with asinine mentally ill decisions. It certainly explains the host of problems Remlins suffer especially in the fit and finish. No wonder it appears that they have settled for simply cutting off the tappering before they even attempt to fit it to the receiver! Obviously, they really never were sincere in producing a Marlin worthy of my dollars. Nor furthering the long Marlin Heritage that was so honored by so many that worked with pride at North Haven.

I've been in manufacturing for over 40 years and honestly, it is the worst example of corporate decision making I've ever heard. Utterly Disgusting.

Jack

·
Banned
2,803 Posts

Thought production of 1894s stopped after the sellout and the move from CT??????
Didn't know Remlin started manufacturing 1894s again
?
If they did that's news to me.
Haven't seen a new 1894 on the gun shop racks in many many sleeps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts