Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just bought my first Marlin :), but... :-\ after bringing it home...I fired only a couple of shots, not so good!
I have taken the rifle back to the local dealer who is currently dealing with the Australian importer. I was so peeved that the firearm was of such poor quality I sent an email to Remington, their response I thought was pretty poor, considering we pay approx $1000 for a 336W down here so it’s not something that you can just take as a lesson learned and move on without a follow up.

Here is a copy of the email I sent to [email protected]

I am having some issues with a new Marlin Firearm I have purchased in Australia, and as you guys own the company thought you would appreciate some feedback.

I purchased a Marlin 336W from a local South Australian dealer after waiting for nearly 2 months (due to our import and firearms licensing laws). I picked up the firearm last Friday, took it home and I only put 3 rounds through it and it blew the ejector outwards at 90 deg and was blowing the primers completely out of the Shells it left me with a lacerated finger and thumb and quite frankly scared the hell out of me. The ammo I used was the Marlin recommend factory load Remington Core-Lokt 150grain 30-30W purchased with the rifle. I have taken the rifle and ammunition back to the dealer who is currently trying to get me a resolve through their Australian supplier; they seem to think the issue is with the rifle not the ammunition.

I also had a few other concerns with the rifle that I thought I would let you know about directly. After having to remove the breech bolt and straighten the ejector so I could safely cycle out the rest of the rounds in the magazine, I found the final 3 bullets wouldn't come out until I thumped the bottom of the magazine tube, it was like as if they were jammed or hung up. I also noticed that the back of breech bolt when in firing position sits flush on one side and raised on the other almost like it is not machined correctly, and finally the rear iron sights are not aligned perfectly down the barrel, when you look at them from above the sit slightly cocked to the left hand side. I thought it would be good to let you guys know directly of the issues I have had with my new 336W (and first) Marlin as I don't how far word of my issues would go back via the chain of dealers and importers between me and Marlin Firearms. I must say I am somewhat disappointed to say the least, as I have been wanting a Marlin lever action rifle for so long due to your heritage and reliability, everyone I speak to always says "buy a Marlin and you can't go wrong", unfortunately not in my case!

I hope your Australian dealer/importer can come to a resolve quickly for me so I too can appreciate what everyone says about a Marlin!

And the response from Remington -

Mr. XXXX, I apologize for the inconvenience and scare you have incurred after using Remington and Marlin products. With the difficulty we have of getting product overseas it will be best to have the distributor resolve this issue. They should have a source that can check the ammunition and rifle to try to determine which was at fault and also resolve repair/replacement. I will document your information in case you need my assistance. I am glad that you were not seriously injured and appreciate your patience and understanding.
Sincerely,
XXXXX

Seriously, I would have thought there would have been some mention regarding the quality issues. I have gone out of my way to inform them!! If you can’t get the rear site straight on the top of the barrel what hope do you have for the rest of the rifle? They have taken and American icon and stuffed it!! Not impressed and will not recommend a new Marlin/Remington firearm to anyone from this day forward.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
You should never have had to experience such troubles with Marlin or Remington products. That said, the response letter does not surprise me at all. The exposure to liability is huge and the company is not going to put anything in print that can be used against them in a court of law.

I would say "the proof is (will be) in the pudding." How satisfactory will the final outcome be to you? Time will tell. Will you get a brush off, a free repair, a brand new rifle, etc.?

Keep us posted and best of luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,825 Posts
Good luck in getting it fixed right, I agree with what still hunter said...no company is going to put their neck on the line. It's unfortunate that Marlin by Remington continues to let this junk go out when they should be well aware by now they still don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground! Last Marlin I bought was the 45/70CB last year a 2009 version and I had to smooth the action on it. Within the last month or so I saw 2 336Y's, one LOOKED good, the other :eek: ::) :p , I was considering buying the good looking one , then got to thinking about the other one, if they couldn't get a butt stock or forearm to meet up with the receiver properly, what sort of problems would I be buying for $400.00? Probably would have had to send it in. ::) It's going to take alot of doing by Marlin/Remington to convince me to buy a new one! Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
The best of luck in your pursuit of a repair/replacement for your new Marlin. I too have been thinking of buying a newer Marlin. The one I shoot and enjoy was made in 1947 (model 36) and is almost as old as I am. The thing it, in all the time I have had it, she has never let me down. Fact being I have let her down more than once, but she has forgiven me. Some of the guys thoughts on here is go go ahead and buy the new ones, then send them back, in an attempt to get Remington to correct their mistakes, and learn to built one right. Sorry fellas but for my hard earned money I would rather buy a 15-20 year old used rifle and save the time and anguish of having to return it time and again. Shenandoah

·
Registered
66 Posts
A corporation like this has no shame. The word is not in their vocabulary. Where Marlin 336's are concerned, always buy used if you can.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
Bedrock said:
A corporation like this has no shame. The word is not in their vocabulary. Where Marlin 336's are concerned, always buy used if you can.
I agree, a company like this only cares about the bottom line. Not the quality of their product. But if enough people complain here and on other web sites, their bottom line will suffer.
Don't let up. If you see poor quality, report it. Don't let them drive a great old name down.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am alarmed that Rem/Mar would allow something be shipped out in that condition - especially overseas. Do they not test fire each rifle?

I own 4 Marlins, the newest one being made in 1980. I would only buy a "pre-safety" rifle I got the itch.

I also own a Remington bolt (Mod 30) with which and I am most happy with the quality - but it was made in 1928.

I guess Rem is going the way of 1980's GM.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Damn shame this happens so often. Hold their feet to the fire till your rifle is right! Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish I joined up with you guys before purchasing the rifle and read some of the forums on the "marlingtons". I'm starting to wish I spent my money elsewhere. A friend of mine has a Rossi rio-grande for less than have the price of purchasing a Marlin out here in Australia, the build quality and the cycling of the action of the Rossi is better!
I have spoken directly with the Australian importer (they are more concerned with my issues than Remington) and the rifle is currently on its way back to them for investigation.
I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I'd sure like to see some pictures of this. For one thing, I cannot imagine how an ejector would blow out. Did you mean extractor? And even if it was the extractor, I am having a hard time envisioning how it would injure your hand. Not doubting your story, but with no more information I have to say it makes no sense.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
I'm not surprised. Read my post here in the Rant forum about the brand new SBL I saw today. Lord only knows what other unseen problems it had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
pisgah said:
I'd sure like to see some pictures of this. For one thing, I cannot imagine how an ejector would blow out. Did you mean extractor? And even if it was the extractor, I am having a hard time envisioning how it would injure your hand. Not doubting your story, but with no more information I have to say it makes no sense.
Yep I meant the extractor blew out at 90deg. The cut to my finger ( im guessing) is from a piece of the primer (found a flattened bit with the firing pin dent in it) I kid you not it went off like an old black powder gun! When I pulled out the spent cartridge there was no primer left to be seen.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gday mate, that really sucks that you got a lemon.

I recently purchased a 336C (Im in Oz too) and same as you, put the deposit on the gun, then joined this forum and read all the quality issues with the recent Marlins and became very nervous. Luckily mine turned out to be a really nice rifle with no problems. Mine is an '09 "JM" branded one though.

Is yours branded "JM" or "REM" on the left side of the barrel?
It'd be interesting to know if it is a remlin or a older Marlin built one, cos I know the Aussie distributer has mostly older stock. I dont even know if they have Remlins out here yet? Ive never seen one.

Its a real shame that your first experience with Marlin is a bad one, cos if you get a good one, they're great guns.

Remington are really making a mess of this arent they?
I was actually looking at a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 30-06 yesterday.....do I tempt fate twice?

Good luck mate,

Cheers, Scott.

·
Registered
274 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Marlin used to. Who knows what Remington is doing?
from what i haveread in some past posts i think it is a lotto fire ,they pick one out of the lot and fire it then say"well if this ones ok then the rest of them are :-\

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
obe-wan said:
Gday mate, that really sucks that you got a lemon.

I recently purchased a 336C (Im in Oz too) and same as you, put the deposit on the gun, then joined this forum and read all the quality issues with the recent Marlins and became very nervous. Luckily mine turned out to be a really nice rifle with no problems. Mine is an '09 "JM" branded one though.

Is yours branded "JM" or "REM" on the left side of the barrel?
It'd be interesting to know if it is a remlin or a older Marlin built one, cos I know the Aussie distributer has mostly older stock. I dont even know if they have Remlins out here yet? Ive never seen one.

Its a real shame that your first experience with Marlin is a bad one, cos if you get a good one, they're great guns.

Remington are really making a mess of this arent they?
I was actually looking at a Remington 700 SPS stainless in 30-06 yesterday.....do I tempt fate twice?

Good luck mate,

Cheers, Scott.
Hi Scott
Not sure about the branding, didn't hold the rifle long enough to take notice, picked up in the afternoon and took it straight back the next morning. I am disappointed with the rifle but at the end of the day they are only machines and are not always perfect. I am more shocked in the companies (apparent) lack of quality control, as I said before what hope do you have if you can't even get the iron sites on straight?
I am glad I took the advice of a rep 12mths ago who happened to be in the gun shop when I was looking for a 22 magnum, I was pretty keen on a marlin then. He recommended a Savage instead of the Marlin (and he was a rep for both brands), I’m glad I took his advice; the Savage is an excellent and very accurate rifle.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Fodiddly did you send fired brass with gun and take pictures of finger. In the end rem. will do something. but these stories are going to get heavy fines levied on remington . If quality is as lack as all these stories make out rem. will have to educate it's people. When someone gets killed or severely injured shooting factory ammo. It will get some major attention.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
me said:
Fodiddly did you send fired brass with gun and take pictures of finger. In the end rem. will do something. but these stories are going to get heavy fines levied on remington . If quality is as lack as all these stories make out rem. will have to educate it's people. When someone gets killed or severely injured shooting factory ammo. It will get some major attention.
The cuts are pretty minor, but I suppose it could have been worse! I have a photo of my hand and showed the dealer when I returned the rifle! The Dealer has photos of the firearm and ammo, and has sent the firearm and ammo back to the importer for further scrutiny.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts