Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of Remington golden bullets about two months ago. They are pretty reasonable priced and accurate. Well I bought another box two wks ago and decided to do some shooting. I shot the first round poof sounded like a air Rifle. It was almost like shooting sub sonics. I shot about 25 rounds through my 39a with the same results. As far as accuracy and distance they were pretty good. Shot a moccasin about 90yards out dropped him dead. I wonder if this ammo has less powder than the others I've used? They shoot good and are pretty accurate. Bought 525 rounds this morning at Walmart. There good enough for plinking and squirrel hunting. Have any of y'all every had this to happen to you?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't waste my money buying Remington Gold ammo. I know 22LR is tough to get
but Remington isn't worth buying.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't waste my money buying Remington Gold ammo. I know 22LR is tough to get
but Remington isn't worth buying.
I hear this a lot . It's been my experience however , that my 2 pickiest rifles will eat em up & spit em out . My Glenfield 60 & my M&P 15-22 will both cycle Golden Bullets quite well . They both prefer Federal Bulk but you go with what you have these days . I started buying the Golden Bullets whenever I saw them for lever & bolt action plinking . When the Federal ammo ran low I started using the Remmington in the Semi-autos , no problems . Winchester Bulk , not so much .............

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My revolvers and pumps and levers will feed and shoot them. I've just found Remington
to be very dirty and not very accurate.
The Winchester White Box is worse by far.
I'll spend a bit more to get accurate ammo because I'm a silhouette shooter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why does everyone complain about Remington ammo being "dirty". Don't you guys clean your weapons after going to the shooting range? I haven't found a brand of ammo yet that wasn't "dirty". I've always found my guns needed cleaning after shooting any brand of ammo.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have no problems with rem golden bullets but they are inconsistent on sound. My guns cycle them just fine, eat them up and spit them out with no problems. I do agree they are very dirty, a lot dirtier than other brands.
I will take Remington golden bullets any day over Winchester bulk/white box. Winchester bulk is BY FAR the worst ammo ever made period! That is the only kind of ammo I absolutely will not shoot out of any of my guns. White box Winchester is 100% pure garbage!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Cowboy

It's not about cleaning once home; it's after as few as 10 GB's fired, the long hole is almost blocked from powder residue. That tends to hamper accuracy without uniform velocity. If you hear a poof, it's hard to expect hunting accuracy or maybe get a bulged barrel from two bullets trying to occupy the same space.

Reactions: Loosemarbles

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
No, I don't clean my guns as soon as I get home. I'm lucky enough to get out and shoot.
By the time I get back I don't want to clean the guns as well. I'm usually tired and
hungry after many hours of shooting at the range which is about an hour drive away
and an hour drive back.
I clean my guns for therapy, I do not want to be in a hurry or bothered when I am cleaning
them. I just want to focus entirely on that and not run out of Q-tips or cleaners.

·
Registered
519 Posts
RGB work great in my XT-22. But, the groups are a little on the large side for hunting. 1 1/8 inch, 10-round groups a 50 yards. Great and inexpensive plinking. It saves the minimags for hunting.

See RGB upper-right.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Remington GB run OK in my guns although when I have a choice, I take other brands. If you guys think GBs are bad news, pick up a box of Thunderbolts and you will think the GBs are not so bad. Thunderbolts get my vote for the worst of the worst.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RGB shoot pretty good I my 39a. They sound like sub -sonics. Heck there good enough to do what I want to do with them. I save the good stuff for hunting this winter. Our local Walmart gets a mixture of 22s. One wk it might be RGB the next wk it will be federals or thunder bolts. For right now I will take what ever I can that goes bang. I'm starting to see ammo on a regular base now.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have subsonics for that as well as CB's or whisper rounds.
I want my real 22LR ammo to act like it and be able to cycle a semi-auto.
Rem Thunderbolts are garbage, I have walked out of stores when that
was the only 22LR they had.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Picked three 250 packs just last week. The Henry, Ruger 10/22, Winchester Wildcat, and the Marlin 60 all shoot them just fine and accuracy is very acceptable. At 1250 fps they are at normal 22 LR velocity. If they are dirtier than other 22's I haven't noticed and really don't care. I run a bore snake through my guns after about 500 rounds and they continue to function just fine. As far as accuracy goes, that depends more on the gun and what it likes more so than the ammo. You won't see me pass them up if that's what is on the shelf just because they are Remington.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I just went out and shot the below 5 shot group. Anyone want to tell me these are not accurate in some guns? I do admit though, the little Winchester wildcat rifle shoots everything well.

DSC00005.JPG

·
Registered
416 Posts
Rem Thunderbolts are garbage, I have walked out of stores when that
was the only 22LR they had.
I agree! There are 2 kinds of 22LR I wont shoot... Remington thunderbolts and Winchester bulk/white box.
I think the thunderbolts give the golden bullets a bad name in all honesty.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've had to swear off even the premium Wincester Ammo because of the constant extraction failures in all my rifles. Imagine the store clerks surprise when I walk away from it on the store shelf. It's too bad Winchester Super X is nearly as accurate as minimags.

·
Registered
708 Posts
If y'all think Winchester .22 ammo is bad, you ought to try their Universal shotgun shells. Now those are downright bad. I've seen them jam up single shot shotguns. I stay away from all Winchester ammo unless it's their premium stuff.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Winchester Super Target is all right. I shot at least 15 flats of it last year and it
was fine for sporting clays.
I also was able to buy it pretty cheap. This year I'm using Remington Gun Glub
because the price is much closer to the Super Targets.
No problem with either one.

I don't waste money on Winchester Universals they are made for Walmart and
Dicks I believe and they cost more than I normally pay.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts