Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just before needing some 45-70 cases, have been using Starline and have had no problems, but I can't find any. What does anyone think about Remington cases? I need some to feed my 1895CB. Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I have been using rem-corelokt and after shooting I reload. I have reloaded some of them around 5 times and all is well, but none of my loads are very hot. I also just picked up 2 bags new of 50 at Bass Pro shops at a reasonable rate so they are in-line to be stuffed. I have not seen aproblem with thte remington brass in this caliber. I bought quite a few bags of 45 acp new brass and about 2 out of each bag the base will not fit the shell holder????? just put them in the discard pile to further inspect. have not had that problem with the 45-70........yet...........

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
doketx,

Just this Ol'Coot's opinion, but I'd stick with the Starline.

About a 1/3 or more less in cost and a great product.

Check out Buffalo Arms and some of the other sources and get your order in if they will allow it.

Buffalo Arms is a smaller company here in Ideeeeeho, and they have always done well by me. Check with them.

I'm not much of a Remington brass fan, while I have been a Winchester Fan for years. Just what floats my boat.

But for my 45/70, it is Starline for a quality product at a great price.

I don't like mixing brass, and having more then one brand is just going to mean that I have more to separate and keep track of. More quart and half gallon milk cartons on the shelf.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
2,262 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
as long as you are not loading hot the rem cases will be fine.. Starline is better quality and WILL outlast the rems but if you got em I would use em

·
Registered
69 Posts
Be patient and keep checking back on the Starline site. Eventually they will allow backorders for your caliber and then order enough to see you through the next panic.

Reactions: Magnum6

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I've used the Remington .45-70 brass & it's been ok for me.
Since CDOC has had great service with Buffalo Arms, I'd give them a call & see what they can do.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Amazon has some in stock through Chinook sales. It is 71.95 + 6.40 shipping. Here is the link Amazon.com: 45-70 Starline Brass (100 New Cases): Sports & Outdoors
Wow 72 bucks:vollkommenauf:!looks like I got lucky when I picked up 100 for 50 bucks shipped to my door from a fellow MO member.
I've loaded Remington brass as it was all I had from loaded ammo before I started reloading. It worked fine but I've since switched to sterling. I buy it when ever I find it.
One might say I'm hoarding it. I have 400 sitting in my reloading cabinet:biggrin:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I only use Remington cases because then I don't need to anneal them for shooting the black stuff. Starlines draw back to me is me needing to anneal the cases before I use them Now I i could find them for the same price as Remington I might consider buying them

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Remington is all that I shoot. I stocked up on nickle plated brass some time ago and have picked up some unplated as well. I use the nickle stuff for full power loads in the Marlin and the brass cases hold cast bullets loaded for the Trapdoors. It makes it easy to recognize ammo.

Reactions: Magnum6 and XMAN

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Although I am and have been for many years, a Winchester brass fan, - guess that proves most of the brands are at least OK, - in the case of the 45/70 why would a person NOT use Starline when it is at least as good and about a 1/3 cheaper.

As said, I am a Winchester brass fan but all my 45/70 brass is Starline and there is no reason to change.

High quality product and a great price!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hmmmmmm? My experience is that Starline is about a 1/3 less in cost then Winchester and Remington

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Wow, 1/3 cheaper, Do you have contact info handy? I have some brass that really needs to be retired to light practice level loads.
I've used Star Line in handguns & it is superior brass.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Frank V,

I just checked Buffalo Arms and the prices for single (1) case is as follows. Of course, prices rapidly go down as order quality increases.

Rem - brass - $1.07ea (Ample stock)
Rem - nickel - $1.22ea (B.O. ok)
Win. - brass - $1.02ea (B.O. ok)
Starline - brass - $.51ea (B.O. and according to their web site, stock should have already arrived or be coming very soon)

Guess my comment about a 1/3 less should be modified to about 50% less. Didn't look at multiple case prices this time, but would be hard to be the Starline prices.

Great price for a great product.

Buffalo Arms is on the web. and located here in Ideeeeeeho.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Crusty,
I just put an order in at Buffalo Arms. They're still on backorder, but I'm not in that big a hurry. I just need some new cases so I can trim my old ones for my 45-60. The 45-60 cases from Jamison (Captech) are too pricey, and except for the correct head stamp, are of no particular advantage, and a head stamp doesn't make them shoot any better.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I like Remington Nickel Plated Cases Just fine . I've used the for YEARS" and get just as much life out of them as any other brand. The hotter you shoot Any case the less life you'll get out of them .

There ALL" to darn high when you buy them , but what can ya do ? that's Corporate America.... We got keep throwing a lot of money @ these CEO's ya know . but I'll shop and spend the LEAST" I can on cases when I need some , doesn't really bother be What Brand they are , as long as there Nickel plated... I prefer Nickel" plated cases period .

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Although I am and have been for many years, a Winchester brass fan, - guess that proves most of the brands are at least OK, - in the case of the 45/70 why would a person NOT use Starline when it is at least as good and about a 1/3 cheaper.

As said, I am a Winchester brass fan but all my 45/70 brass is Starline and there is no reason to change.

High quality product and a great price!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
I agree with ya Crusty" There all about the same . I just happen to have the Remington stuff right now in both rifles and pistols , cause they won the price war when I bought most of this last batch of 44 mag , and my 45~70's I only shoot Full House FLX tipped bullet loads in both cal's , cause that's the load's I have worked up for those two cal's . All those cases are cut down to fit the action's on my rifles , using those FTX bullets . When I buy brass usually 1000 cases for my 44 , Pistol & Rifle , and 500 round for the 45~70 , and I Demand NICKED Cases" , and who ever has the best price on them including Shipping , Get's my money period .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.