Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what anyones opinion of the remington 405gr jacketed soft point bullets was. right now its hard to find any bullets for reloading but I found these in a bulk buy bin yesterday, I didn't buy any yet just wondering what folks thought about them that had tried them. thanks.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have had no problems with the Remington bullets. I used to shoot their 300 JHP, but went to a Speer simply because the Speer held together better. Can't fault Remington for that, it is a big, deep, hollow point.
I used to buy them in a 500 count plastic bag.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I have used them in the past for fodder. Dont have much use for store boughts.
If you use them, I have found that pouring the powder, then a veggie wad, then Dacron filler, then the bullet lessens the recoil, and tightens the groups up.

With my Ranch Dog molds, there is never a shortage of boolit in my house.

When I run out, I just make more

Reactions: Scout03

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
Great bullets on game if the velocity is kept near factory loads. Too fast and they can fragment, but then they are not a premium bullet and I don't shoot things that can eat me!! Every deer I've ever killed was with the Remington bullets. I have about 800 of the 405's! Great bullet!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Back when bulk bullets were cheap, I bought seveeral thousand .311 180 gr RN Remingtons for my .303s and find them excellent performers. I now use cast and that is all I use in the .45-70 so can't comment on your exact question. Beware using wads and fillers with smokeless powder as pressure can get crazy very quickly.
Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
I seen them yesterday in bulk they were $79 for 100 bullets. I use to use them in my my older 1895 with micro-groove barrel and they shot good. Since I got the New Marlin 1895g with ballard rifling I use cast Lee 405 flat-tip's. My son's will use the older micro-groove since I don't use it anymore. The new Marlin spoiled me with its smoothness and accuracy with hard-cast bullet's. I will load the Remington 405 gr. for my son's deer hunting with the old 1895. Good bullet!!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
just wondering what anyones opinion of the remington 405gr jacketed soft point bullets was. right now its hard to find any bullets for reloading but I found these in a bulk buy bin yesterday, I didn't buy any yet just wondering what folks thought about them that had tried them. thanks.

M&M
Welcome to the forum.
Go back quickly & buy all of those you can afford.!!!!!!!:biggrin:
That's the bullet I shoot & it's given me great accuracy. I think you will like it. I think it was John Barsness who wrote of taking African game with great results using that bullet.
You will have to crimp over the ogive just a bit to get overall length to cycle through the Marlin 95, I didn't & had to almost take mine apart to get the round out. I'd also load a dummy round as the first round to get the OAL correct. After that you will use the dummy to set up your seating & crimping die. Don't put on a real heavy crimp or you might buckle the case a bit & it won't chamber.
Good luck, I hope you can get those bullets.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I used to shoot them in my 1895 before I started using hard cast. They load and shoot well and kill large hogs very well. I still use them in my Ruger # 1 at about 1700 FPS and they are accurate and good big hog bullets. Get all you can afford.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys I just may have to pick some up and give em a try right now I am in the mode of gathering reloading components in 45-70 while I wait the arrival of my new 1895 so I am gathering a little at a time, the wife doesn't get so bent out of shape that way !

·
Registered
563 Posts
They are a great bullet. At trapdoor levels, around 1200 - 1300 fps thay act like a cast bullet. Buffalo Bore loads them up to 2000 fps. I tried them from about 1300 to 18oo and now load them at 1550 fps. I have taken 5 black bears with them. At higher speeds they dont really fragment, but the thin jacket can shed from the lead bullet. You still have a huge hunk of lead penetrating a long way. As mentioned you need to crimp them above their crimp groove. A Lee factory crimp die works great for this. IMO, the best jacketed 45-70 bullet for the money.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
I seen them yesterday in bulk they were $79 for 100 bullets. I use to use them in my my older 1895 with micro-groove barrel and they shot good. Since I got the New Marlin 1895g with ballard rifling I use cast Lee 405 flat-tip's. My son's will use the older micro-groove since I don't use it anymore. The new Marlin spoiled me with its smoothness and accuracy with hard-cast bullet's. I will load the Remington 405 gr. for my son's deer hunting with the old 1895. Good bullet!!
Midway has them cheaper......if they have them!:flute:

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Thanks for the input guys I just may have to pick some up and give em a try right now I am in the mode of gathering reloading components in 45-70 while I wait the arrival of my new 1895 so I am gathering a little at a time, the wife doesn't get so bent out of shape that way !

Bullets are components!!!!:top:

I'd go back & grab all those 405 Remmies you can afford, they are a great bullet!!!!

Reactions: HuntAway

·
Registered
584 Posts
I run them at 1650 fps avg. The deer and bear I've killed with them died very quickly. The bullets were never recovered. Through and through. They also shoot MOA out of my 1895CB @ 100 yds.

I do notice that they vary in weight from 399-406 grains and my best shooters have been in the 403 - 403.5 gr weight range.

HA

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
I shoot the 405 Remingtons and have accounted for lots of game from prairie dogs to hogs to deer to buffalo to elk and have never retrived one bullet from any of these animals. I use a moderate load of 3031 and have no problems putting them down. Get all of them you can. I ordered by the thousand when these were cheap and have no regrets.

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
I seen them yesterday in bulk they were $79 for 100 bullets.
That is absolute PIRACY. Some nutjob at Remington decided a few years ago that their component bullets were underpriced, so they jacked prices up an average of 250% on most of them. The highest I've seen the 405's go for was $40/100, and I think that's way beyond a fair price, they should be substantially less. Good bullet, but not for the price of loaded ammo with premium bullets!

I may be old and out of touch, but their current prices are ridiculous. One more reason I took up casting, and keep adding molds in new calibers!

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought the price was ridiculous. Thanks PJ for confirming my thoughts on those way out of line prices, you could likely get twice the amount in cast for what they are asking. eh

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use the homemade cast,not gonna get raped at $79 a 100 for Rem-hp. Lee mold $24[/QUOTE

Just out of couriosity,I see that your Lee mold drops bullets at .457 diameter. I do not cast but have read that the cast bullets should be anywhere from .001-.003 over bore size to give a good seal and to lesson the chance of leading.How's that work out?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.