Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Remington auto loader

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  br549arkie 
#1 ·
Folks,
My wife had an elderly patient that has what looks like a Remington 7400 in the photo.
From what I can see in the photos, the receiver has some pitting along with the barrels exterior showing some rust.
The wood looks in great shape.
The woman is asking me for an idea of what it may be worth. I said I cannot really give much of an answer without looking it over.
If the bore and chamber looks clean and everything functions fine, does anyone have a price range for these? Caliber may be .308 Win.
I am thinking from $100 to $200 depending on depth of rust.
Andrew

#4 ·
It is hard to tell in the few photos my wife took. I hope to see it first hand next week. If the chamber and bore are in good shape, I think I will make her an offer. I don't want to take advantage of her and that's why I am looking for price ideas.
Andrew

#7 ·
If this rifle is functional and really just needs a good cleaning, I may get it and keep it at my vacation home for shooting hogs or use as a truck gun. This way if it gears stolen or damaged, I am not out any serious cash.
Andrew

#9 ·
Depending on rust and type of scope, $250 - $275 would low end of fair a fair deal IMO.

Not gonna argue with prior posters opinions and personal experiences with this firearm but I've owned the 742. 740 and 7400 version of these rifles and I've killed a pile of deer with them.
Personally, once I learned how to properly clean the rifle all my jamming issues went away.

#10 ·
It's also my understanding, that most issues were due to proper cleaning. It's not a rifle meant for a hundred shots of target shooting, before cleaning it.
I will see it on Monday. Then I will make a decision.
Andrew

#11 ·
The 740/742/7400 series rifles have to be kept cleaned and oiled well to function properly. They are also over gassed and beat themselves to death over time. Make sure to check the locking recesses, to make sure they aren't all chewed up. Sometimes a gunsmith can fix by polishing the recesses.
Don't let that scare you away from them. A friend of mine's dad has had a 7400 for years in 6mm rem, that he's taken dozens of deer with.
There is also sell a kit for $170 that turns them into the 760/7600 series pump action rifles.

#12 ·
The 740/742/7400 series rifles have to be kept cleaned and oiled well to function properly. They are also over gassed and beat themselves to death over time. Make sure to check the locking recesses, to make sure they aren't all chewed up. Sometimes a gunsmith can fix by polishing the recesses.
Don't let that scare you away from them. A friend of mine's dad has had a 7400 for years in 6mm rem, that he's taken dozens of deer with.
There is also sell a kit for $170 that turns them into the 760/7600 series pump action rifles.
I read that if the locking recesses are all chewed up, that pretty much just makes it a wall hanger.
Andrew

#13 ·
I broke this rifle down to the recommended cleaning level. There was some debris from the woods in the receiver, but it did have some oil where it belonged.
The action is in good working order and it feels smooth when worked manually.
I attacked the rust which is predominately on the starboard side. There is significant pitting on this side of the receiver and some on the barrel, but it is just cosmetic. It look as though it was stored in the gun case lying on the starboard side for years.
The bore and chamber are very clean with zero pitting and excellent rifling.
The front and rear sights are missing and there are plug screws in their place.
This is an ADL model with the fancy checkering. The wrist has a short crack in the wood, but it is stable and does not separate. It does need refinishing due to the finish having a bad spot from maybe being wet.
The scope is an old Bushnell that is not exceptionally clear, but it is functional.
I am thinking of offering $150 for it and if she wants more, I will try to sell it for her.
I would like to shoot this thing, but I don’t have any .308 Winchester ammo and cannot find any.
This will be a good truck gun.
Andrew

#15 · (Edited)
Heck, I'd buy that for $150 particularly in 308.

Also, there should be a two or three letter code stamped on the left side of the barrel, above the wood, just in front of the receiver. The first letter is the month, second/third is the year.

You can look up the codes here...

#18 ·
Heck, I'd buy that for $150 particularly in 308.

Also, there should be a two or three letter code stamped on the left side of the barrel, above the wood, just in front of the receiver. The first letter is the month, second/third is the year.

You can look up the codes here...

April, 1971 birthdate of this rifle.
Andrew

Reactions: mac66
#16 ·
I will shoot this on Saturday to see how it functions. I was able to come across a box of .308 150 grain cartridges.
I understand that these rifles are suppose to be a rather soft recoil.
Andrew

#17 ·
I had the chance to shoot it today.
Very soft recoil for a .308 Winchester. I actually expected more. I did not shoot it for groupings, just to make sure it functioned well and it did. If people really just used this model rifle to hunt with and kept it clean, I do not see why there would be jamming issues.
I fired four cartridges at a fallen oak 50+- yards away. I took 2-3 seconds between shots to see where the bullets hit, since I didn't not know if the scope was sighted in. Surprisingly, all the shots were within a 6" radius. Again, this is not sighted in and I was not aiming at a certain point each time.
I thought the scope was an old Bushnell. I believe it's a 1970's Tasco.
The rifle is pretty nice for being neglected and rust covered for decades.
Andrew

#19 ·
I took the opportunity of being on vacation to sight in this rifle.
I tried it with the big 3-9X40 scope that it came with, but I did not like how heavy it made the rifle.
I took it off and sighted it in with the sights that Pig Ninja so kindly gave me.
It took me a few shots to get it to group at the range I want to shoot for.
Being that this is my “grab to shoot hogs” rifle,
I have it set for 50 yards. I am able to shoot three shots in a 4” group off hand standing with cheap Aguila .308 FMJ.
That’s good enough for hog control. The woods are so thick it wouldn’t be worthwhile to scope this rifle.
Andrew

#20 ·
Not sure what you ended up paying for it, but online prices have risen a good bit since they stopped production of the M750 18 months(?) ago and Remington went out of business. There are very few non MSR designed semi-autos out there any more and the prices have climbed accordingly. You could likely get the receiver & barrel re-blued or Cerakoted and still be way under a typical selling price in the "new" market.

Reactions: alawrence
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.