Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Remington 788 trigger upgrade

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  HIKayaker 
#1 ·
Thinking about an aftermarket trigger for my .223 , about all I can find is the Timney.
At about $250 to buy here , I am wondering if its worth it.
Is it a gunsmith job? = more $ .
Are there any others?

Reactions: gunscrewguy
#2 ·
man I do my own triggers. I would take it to a gunsmith. I would guess lot less than 250.00 it just needs a bit of polishing and fine tuning,,,,,,,,,

and buy the way a hidden fact is the 788s had Douglas premium barrels, that is why the shoot so good,,,,,,,,,,,

#4 ·
That is probably why many gunsmiths won't do mods on a Mod 788. My Mod 788 has a good trigger--not a target trigger--but good enough for my hunting pursuits.

#6 ·
I have had a couple or 3 of these rifles. the last one I had was a 30-30 the stud on the trigger was broken. I had to fix it, I just can't remember how exactly without looking at another. but they are bad about breaking, I remember I drilled it out and threaded the receiver and put in a hex screw. I did a trigger job at the same time. I had a couple in 22-250 and one in 6mm rem. that was my brother in-laws gun. they were real shooters! especially one of the 22-250s,,,,,,,,,,,

#7 ·
There is a ton of 788 around here. Most in varmit calibers up to 6mm Rem. I didn't know they had Douglas barrels. The early Ruger 77s were said to have Douglas barrels but I never had solid information on that. I have herd that the big gun companies sub out barrels from time to time. The subcontractors bid on it and probably low bid gets it. I have also heard rumors that a certain rifle with serial between X and Z is no good because of barrels used. The last big flap over this is when they came out with CF .17 cal cartridges. The rejection rate was suppose to be so high they weren't profitable. Same source said rejects were rebored to bigger calibers. That didn't make sense to me. How can you rebore a bad barrel without the piolot following existing bore. I think a lot of this stuff is rumors.

#8 ·
My 22-250 Rem 788 will shoot dime sized groups at 200 yards. Most accurate rifle I own. But the factory trigger is awful. Probably around 8#.
Factory trigger has two springs. One to resist the trigger pull, and one to push the trigger back to starting position. Problem is that they work in opposition to each other and give a heavy pull.

If you care to search the web, you can find a published modification, removing one of the springs, and installing another. However, the trigger assembly needs a hole drilled and a pin installed for the new spring to push against. Not too difficult, but the trigger assembly is pot metal and if you screw it up...

Timney makes a drop in trigger for the 788. Remove the middle pin and the assembly comes out. Reinstall the pin, and you're done. Instant 3# trigger, adjustable for a little bit less. Immense improvement.

EBay has 788 triggers for $115-139.00 US. Don't know if they will or are allowed to ship to Oz. Used replacement trigger assemblies sell for $75-90.00 US, if you'd rather try the modification on a used factory trigger.

#10 ·
Yeah, can't import them from anyone, [restricted item?] If I get a Timney , i'll put the factory one in the parts drawer as is.

#11 ·
788's have a long reputation of being tack drivers. Between the quality of barrel made back then, correct bedding, decent trigger, and many say the rear locking system used are the key. A poor man's sniper.

AC
….and me being a poor man....

#13 ·
Did a search on the web for info and I think the Timney is the route I'll take. Found out the 223 was only made for 1 year,1975. Is that correct? Anyone else have a 223?

#15 ·
Reactions: Boris
#16 ·
My wife got her mothers 788, It will shoot any load- 243 55 -100 gr bullets & great groups.

#17 ·
I had a problem with my 788 in 22-250. The trigger froze up real solid. I kept it oiled and inside a gun safe. It appeared to be some kind of electrolysis between the OEM aluminum trigger housing and the steel guts. I was able to unfreeze it by taking it off and flushing with Kroil but after storing it I noticed it was freezing up again. I ended up replacing the whole OEM trigger with a Timney and it works fine now.

#18 ·
Timney trigger arrived today. Fit it tomorrow, maybe a photo or two, if anyone is playing along at home!

Reactions: Ret_Eng
#20 ·
In all its glory! Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun
Firearm Gun Trigger Air gun Gun accessory
Only difference is the colour.
One of the easiest upgrades I have ever done. Loosen one screw , pop a pin , done. Replaced in opposite order.
Did have to do a bit more inletting around the safety and the front of the trigger housing, but very easy working with fibreglass.
I had the stock built many years ago, with extra weight added in the forearm area, making it very stable with a rest, bit awkward carrying it, but its not a walk around rifle.
Appreciate everyone's input. cheers.

#21 ·
I've replaced the trigger on one of my 788s. It's as easy as removing two pins holding in the old trigger, placing the new one, and replacing those two pins.

I did need to relieve just a bit of the stock on the right side for the new safety. Check it carefully. It may be only one of the pins that you need to relieve for.

The old trigger can be modified to reduce the pull. It involves drilling a hole and installing a lighter trigger return spring. You only get one shot at that. But used factory triggers are usually available on EBay for about 1/2 the price of the Timney. But then, they are less than half as good.

Rem 788 Trigger Mod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.