Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I recently purchased a 1979 336 in .35, while I was in there bought some old Remington .35 rem. Express core locks and a box of new Remington rounds at another shop. Just for giggles I took out a round from each box. The old corelocks had a small hollow point to them and the new ones didnt. Anyone know when they changed the bullets? Also wondering if they are actually kind of any collectors interest. The boxes are in nice shape but the store put a price sticker on the front of the box.

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I bought some years back off Gunbroker200 of the .35 rem core-lock 200 gr hollow points to reload in a 336-A I had. I could not get the .35 200 gr HPs to shoot accurately, in fact, my 336-A would not group the std 200 gr core-lokt or the hollow point trying several powders known for providing excellent results in the .35 rem.

I did exchange emails with shooters who had killed deer with the Rem 200 gr HP saying the bullet was the "Holy Grail" of bullets for the .35 Rem. I hope the ammo shoots well in your rifle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They are pretty old,the box says"Remington KLEANBORE 35 REMINGTON Express)".On a flap "WARNING Do Not use in Rifles Chambered For .30 Springfield Cartridge."Also on back "These cartridges are adapted to Remington Models 8,81,14 and 141 rifles. " Kind of an olive drab color box. I think they may have been brought in with a marlin 336 rifle that was serial# R 1164 (?).

Reactions: oldschoolron60

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
When I was around 18 years old a man and his 16 year old son came out to hunt with us one weekend. They were relatives of the lease owner and nice people. They both had worn winchester 94's in 30-30 with haystrings wound together to make a carrying sling. You could just tell that they knew how to use the 94's by the looks of them. The younger boy was on a stand down the road from me and I heard him shoot so I walked down to him and he had a dead doe laying on the ground, there was blood all over the ground around the doe and I asked him what kind of ammo he was using and he jacked the 30-30 and showed me a 150 gr Rem HP. It sure did a job on the doe.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I recently purchased a 1979 336 in .35, while I was in there bought some old Remington .35 rem. Express core locks and a box of new Remington rounds at another shop. Just for giggles I took out a round from each box. The old corelocks had a small hollow point to them and the new ones didnt. Anyone know when they changed the bullets? Also wondering if they are actually kind of any collectors interest. The boxes are in nice shape but the store put a price sticker on the front of the box.

They are pretty old,the box says"Remington KLEANBORE 35 REMINGTON Express)".On a flap "WARNING Do Not use in Rifles Chambered For .30 Springfield Cartridge."Also on back "These cartridges are adapted to Remington Models 8,81,14 and 141 rifles. " Kind of an olive drab color box. I think they may have been brought in with a marlin 336 rifle that was serial# R 1164 (?).
Congrats on you Marlin 336.

Can you post a picture of the old .35 Rem cartridge...
I have a question.. Does the old Remington express core-lokt .35 Rem hollow point have a pointy tip with a small hole? If so, I would not use them in a "tube feed" Marlin 336 because the cartridges are loaded one in front of the other and the tip of the bullet presses against the primer of the round in front of it while in the tube feed magazine. Shooting it(recoil) can be hazardous.

( I ask because I brought a 336 years ago & the fellow gave me a box of pointy tip .35 Rem bullets. I still have the bullets. lol)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can't post pictures, but the box looks like that but in better shape. They are round nose just like a new cartridge, with a slight hollow to the round nose.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just wondering if they had a collectors value and what they would be worth or just shoot them.The hollow in them would probably be pretty devastating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.