Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot the Remington 250grn ammo again today,off the picnic table resting on a sleeping bag.thought it best to shoot 10 shots before I messed with the scope. this rifle has only been fired about 35 times and is easily the most accurate I have ever owned. the lower group has 5 shots in 1". I am amazed.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
My 338's are my favorites. I agree they are very accurate, I've fired both weapons over 100 rounds. The MX is the prefered for target practice and the one I picked for reloads. I've used both the Hornady and Remington loads, both my guns shot each just fine. Even the hand loads from 40gr-44.5 gr shot tight groups. This is a good all around gun, just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Nice group...hope mine puts them in just as nice and tight,..if I ever get to shoot it ::)

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Shot the Remington 250grn ammo again today,off the picnic table resting on a sleeping bag.thought it best to shoot 10 shots before I messed with the scope. this rifle has only been fired about 35 times and is easily the most accurate I have ever owned. the lower group has 5 shots in 1". I am amazed.
Butch,
Did you ever get a chance to use these on game?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry to say I never got to hunt with the Rem 250's . work Family and four Grandchildren in the last five years have taken most of My time. two years ago I did take a Big Ohio doe with my 1895 45-70 & Federal 300gr, it was the first year straight wall rifle has been allowed in Ohio. I would love to hunt another state where I could use My .338's.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I've got 4 boxes of it. Also, have an elk tag. Was planning on developing a load with the 200 gr Hornady FN but time is running short with lots to do. Thought about just sighting in the Rem 250 CLs and going hunting. Thought I'd check if you had any results.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Never used the REMs, never even seen them here. Have used factory Hornady on last years cow elk with excellent results, and that I do see in the stores. DP

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Yes to both questions. She only went about 15 yd before going down. DP

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Mine likes the Hornady ammo.
But I'd shoot Remington if I had it.
I never cared much what it says on the box
of ammo long as it shoots good.
I typically agree navajo, however, unlike some I haven't been impressed with the FTX bullet performance in the 338 with less than optimum shot placement at ranges under 100 yards. Not saying they are a good bullet for the designed ranges though.
Anyway, just some reasoning why I'm working on an option other than the Hornady Leverevolution ammo.

Conversely, I've killed a couple of mule bucks with the 308 ME at relatively close ranges with excellent bullet performance.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna see how the Reningtons shoot and be ready to go and then work on a load when it cools down. Maybe Jack will have his bonded bullets ready by then as well.

·
Premium Member
24,594 Posts
I agree with what you're saying about close-in.
The Hornady LVR stuff is designed to extend reach.
I like somethin with a wide meplat and heavy weight
for close-in.
I too am waiting for Jack's bullets...

My 338 likes the LVR, and I'm glad it does cause I got
no dies and the'res nothing else around here.

·
Premium Member
11,276 Posts
Lucked into 3 boxes of the Remington 250 grain, haven't had a chance to shoot any yet though, maybe Friday.

Need to figure out what loads I'm using for elk and mule deer season, coming up soon.

Last fall cool temperatures LVR loads shot real well, high temps, can't get a consistent enough group to make me happy !

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
DaveD I looked for some of that REM ammo for my 338 but never could find it. The Remington 150 grain CoreLokt stuff was by far the MOST accurate in my 308mx a few years ago. Good stuff. 5 shots in 1" ?? Sounds like you are ready. I am working on a 225 grain bullet load for my 338mx but this fall will use the 200 grain Nosler AB load again.

By the way my 338mx is more accurate with a 20" barrel than it was with a 22" barrel. That and I am getting factory ammo velocities that Hornady claims from a 24" barrel out of that same 20" barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
DaveD I looked for some of that REM ammo for my 338 but never could find it. The Remington 150 grain CoreLokt stuff was by far the MOST accurate in my 308mx a few years ago. Good stuff. 5 shots in 1" ?? Sounds like you are ready. I am working on a 225 grain bullet load for my 338mx but this fall will use the 200 grain Nosler AB load again.

By the way my 338mx is more accurate with a 20" barrel than it was with a 22" barrel. That and I am getting factory ammo velocities that Hornady claims from a 24" barrel out of that same 20" barrel.
Nodrama,
I like the 225gr AB idea as well. It should make a great 2 shot open country load if you get it to shoot. I'd be interested to see your results.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I got it to 2300 fps with CFE223 the other day. I want to work up a few loads with the AA2520 as well. The CFE 223 is almost identical to Lever and is just above it on the burn rate chart whereas the AA2520 is significantly faster burning stuff. The CFE223 was REALLY good with the 308mx though.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
2300 fps with that bullet is pretty darn good. The Nosler manual shows +2.9" @ 100 yrds for a zero at 200yrds. Just over 11" low at 300 with that zero.

Have you tried the 160 or 185gr. Barnes ttsx at all?

Too bad Hornady doesn't offer another a factory load similar to the Rem 250 CL with their 250 gr RN Interlock. That would be a good complementary offering to their LVR ammo.

But, no reason too I suppose there's barely enough demand for the LVR ammo with Remington now building, er not building Marlin rifles.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts