Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
FY22Raptor said:
I was just wondering if anybody has tried the 250 gr. ammo from Remington? How do you like it?
No I haven't. But what 250gr. ammo are you talking about? Is it the 338ME?

T ::) NY

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
rhendrix said:
Remington Core Lokt Rifle Pointed Soft Point R338ME1, 338 Marlin Express, Soft Point, 250 GR, 2189 fps, 20 Rd/bx I guess if you're a one rifle owner then it's a Ace in a hole for those very big game hunts. But personally I would like to see the bullet weight go the other way. I like to see more choices from 150gr. and up.

I think this caliber was develop for a extra range woods rifle, not necessary a long range rifle. The 338MX, 338XLR are recoil friendly rifle and for medium big game 150gr. - 200gr. would have the intention of this cartridge/rifle covered as an extra range woods rifle.

I'm interested in hearing if someone has range reports on this R338ME1 ammo too and if the recoil change any.

T ;) NY

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm anxious to see how it shoots too...My first hunt will be in a dense woods stand with a 75yd max even with shooting lanes cut....typically I'd have a 35, 444 or 45-70 with me but the chances to hunt open fields always arise after the first week of our two week season

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I'm convinced that a good 180 gr bullet at about 2700 fps would be just perfect in the 338 ME.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I agree totally Hal ..i had a converted 98Mauser G33/40 in 8mm...the 175grains of .323dia bullet running at 2700 always put everything down DRT and I cant think of anything beside big bears that might invoke a second thought of pulling the trigger....a good sturdy quality 180 would be perfect

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
Halwg said:
I'm convinced that a good 180 gr bullet at about 2700 fps would be just perfect in the 338 ME.
A 180gr. FTX would nice but a 170gr. FTX may really turn this cartridge into a long range bean field rifle for deer and pronghorn Not that i need it in my state, the 200gr. FTX is all I need. but it would be nice to make up some 170gr. FTX to about 2900fps to 3000fps at some chucks in the summer time or just 250 -300 yard targets for a day at the range. The 30/06 can let loose a 168gr @ 168 GR. HDY HPBT IMR IMR 4350 .308" 3.230" 54.0 2720 48,500 PSI 58.0C 2903 57,800 PSI I think the 338ME with a 170gr. FTX can do about the same.

T 8) NY

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
You don't want to get too light because the ballistic coefficient will decrease to the point where the bullet will start out fast, but shed velocity quicker that it will be less efficient at longer ranges.

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
A 180 gr FTX would be fine but I think a 170gr or 175gr. couldn't do any worse than a 160gr. FTX out of a XLR.

T : ;) NY

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I called Ablesammo this morning too order 5 boxes, they were out. Don't know how many they had, but they done sold out. If anyone finds them somewhere else, please post.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Rem's 338ME is available just about everywhere online. Do a search and check it out Bud's has them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think the 170-180 gr. would be the cherry on top ;D. I love my 338MXLR and talked to my buddy back home and we were going to load some Barnes 180 into the 338me and see what we get as far as fps & accuracy. I hope Hornady reads this webpage and makes a 170-180gr soon.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Halwg said:
+1...I think that's a winner. The 250gr load may be just the ticket if you only hunt elk or moose, but everyone else would benefit with a 180gr bullet and flatter trajectory.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I see the 250's as a moose/elk load too (although I have no qualms with the performance I had on elk with the 200gr FTX's). I do think if I'm in bear country with this rifle that I will put the 250's in it for that as well.
185 grain GMX type bullet in this cartrige would be great. Too much lighter and I don't think it would be worth while. 180-185 GMX would work for every critter I hunt (antelope, deer, elk, the occasional moose) and give you good range as well. Maybe it will happen some day.
I do like having another bullet option for this cartrige, when it gets here I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes in my rifle. That is if it'll ever quit snowing. We're up to our hocks in mud and snow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The 250 at the listed velocity will be excellent for larger game, especially in the less than 200 yard variety.

There are lots of folks out there who want a heavier projectile for certain applications.

On the flip side, there are also lots of people that will fuss about the lower velocity. I think a 225 grain Barnes, if they came out with one, would split the difference to perfection.

I think lighter than 200 would yield interesting results for the longer range crowd, however, the higher speed may result in issues at closer range shots.

With those 3 choices, a hunter would be given the easy choice of shooting critters at long ranges with the 200, at big critters at short ranges with the 250, and if you were not sure what you may end up with in the field, use the 225.

On the downside, I do wonder why I would ever use the 250 gr 338 when at its velocity, I would probably use my 444 Marlin with Hornady 265 gr FP. It is a proven killer with basically the same trajectory inside of 200 yards.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
At speeds of 27-2900 fps, the normal cup and core bullets from Hornady work very good on game. I see no reason why a mono-bullet wouldn't be great at that speed from a 338 and not tear up a lot of meat. DP

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I plan to try to work with my reloads of the Hornady bullets to try to get one the matches the POI of the 250...that way I can have the best of both worlds

·
Registered
742 Posts
I may be the only one to disagee and that's OK too but I think ,as someone already said, that if you go too much lighter than the 200gr your ballistic co-efficient and the sectional density of the bullet is really going to fall off quickly. You would have a fairly short(stubby) bullet that started off fast but lost velocity really fast too. Once the sectional density gets low then penetration begins to suffer also. Seems that several have already voiced complaints about the lack of penetration with the FTX and this would only seem to make it worse. Look at the light bullet choices for the great old 348...they went away because they did not work as well as the long heavy ones. The option for the lighter bullet was given to us first in the 308 Marlin Express. I imagine that if I only had one rifle I would want more options in ammo also and both lighter and heavier loads for the 338 Marlin Express is a good idea but just keep in mind that you get too light and you start out fast but get slow a lot quicker than a moderate weight bullet with a higher ballistic co-efficient. Then again I know I am preaching to the choir.
Goat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.