Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it so hard(or impossible) to find published load data for the remington 300 grn jhp?

·
Registered
871 Posts
All you need is one good load. ;D

My favorite is 30 grains of 2400. I'm pretty sure the latest Lyman manual has quite a few. I will try to dig mine up.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Str8Dave said:
Why is it so hard(or impossible) to find published load data for the remington 300 grn jhp?
[

·
Registered
34 Posts
Coalsmoke,
That is odd in that I used the same load in my GG and it was all over the paper. Like an 8" spread at 75 yds. I've used 2400 in .357 and .44 mags with my pistols for years and it was my "go to" powde for good velocity and hitting the X. But for the life of me I cannot get the Rem 300 JHPs to do anything but act like a shotgun for a group. It was real position sensitive too as I was getting some harsh explosive blasts now and again if I didn't tip the muzzle UP before I shot. That gave me the willies!

But I did have better luck with the cast rounds. Both with the Trail Boss powder my neighbor gave me (just about 3oz. and almost gone) and with Unique. Tried 2400 with a 340 Lee bullet (the only 45-70 mould I have now) and haven't got anything to write home about yet... I did try some 405 gr flatbased cast my neighbor gave me to try and they didn't do too well either. They keyholed a bunch!

Maybe I might get the Lee 405 HB mould and try it. Looks like a modified round from a .58 rifled musket. It has some big lube groves that's for sure...

But back to the original question that Str8Dave asked, I have not seen data on the Remington bullet, but there is lots of stuff on the Sierra, and others in some of my old manuals. I have nothing newer than the Lyman 46th edition (I'm old) and my other manuals are even older!

Sure hope you find your data Str8Dave and my appologies for taking up too much of your thread...

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Str8Dave said:
That shouldn't be hard. There are lots of manuals with 300 grain JHP data. It may not say Rem. JHP in 'their' manual but you can use them. Just start a little low and work your load up safely.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st order of business, thanks for the replies!

I was going to fall back on hornady 300 grn JHP(45-70 levergun) load data if I was unsuccessful in finding load data. Besides, all of the replies pretty much pushed me in that direction anyways :)....let's hope I find a good plinking load. I will be using winchester brass, CCI primers and IMR 4198.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Str8Dave,
Try 51.0grs of H322 with the Remington 300 JHP, they avg about 1875fps out of my GS and SBL and shoot MOA 100yards. Not the hottest load but pleasant and have not had a deer or hog walk off!!! :) ;)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, Just wanted to say to 308/338, Your avatar of "Pete the terrorist dog" Is funny as hell. The wife loves that pic.

·
Registered
89 Posts
60.0 gr. H4198 not IMR 4198. With the 300 gr REM and Winchester brass I get 2417fps in my 1895 straight stock 22" bbl. Groups hover around an inch to an inch and a half. Killed a truckload of deer with that load. It's alittle rough on meat so I always try for a chest shot. The 300 speer is awesome with that load and because its a hot core it holds together and would be a great elk hog or bear load.

Edited: To add the brass

·
Registered
359 Posts
I shoot 50.0 gr IMR4198 under the 300 gr Rem JHP and get 2200 FPS in my 22" 1895. This is with Starline brass and WLR primers.

I was actually thinking about backing the load down a little and seeing if I could get it in the 1900-2000 FPS range.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Giving out load data is fine...but PLEASE....PRETTY PLEASE...list the brass. :)

I really don't want to delete posts after you worked so hard putting them in here ;)

We only have one rule that is specific to the 45-70 forum, shouldn't be that hard to remember... http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,81205.0.html

Rule #1 - Be specific when you post a load...list the brass, primer, powder, bullet, and the source of the load data (Hodgden, Lyman, Lee, Hornady, etc.)
And here is the reason we have that one rule... http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,80939.0.html

swany said:
45-70 case capacities as measured by Brian Pierce!!!

2-.45-70 Remington Brass/76.2 grains of water (1.3 grains less than Starline Brass)

3-.45-70 Starline Brass/77.5 grains of water (2.8 grains less than Winchester Brass)

4-.45-70 Winchester Brass/80.3 grains of water (4.1 grains "More" than Remington Brass)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Now...back to business... :)

Str8Dave,
What is it that you want to do with the Rem 300 JHP?

Just plinking?

Or hunting too?

If its just plinking...look into the reduced loads with Unique.

If its hunting...well, the options are many...how hard do you wanna push it (velocity, recoil)?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Heres my load which is my go to with the 300Rem JHP....its a very safe moderate speed load ...I use the 300gr Rem or Sierra in Winchester brass with 50gr Reloder 7 and CCI standard rifle primers......with either bullet the speed is about 2000fps on the button and for arguments sake my gun that is a 89 model '95SS the Remington bullet is a minute of angle load cutting consistant one hole cloverleafs...the Sierra is a hair less precise but still hovering right at an inch and I think its a slightly tougher bullet as i've never recovered one...always an exit...the Remmys usually come apart and only found in pieces...but no matter because any game ever shot with either bullet has been dropped like a bad habit

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oops sorry forgot to give the full recipie. Winchester brass was used. REM 91/2 primer. I've used this load with remington, starline and federal brass as well. Slick extraction in all brands used. However this is a max listed load that I posted above . To be safe I have reduced the load by 5% when used in starline remington and federal brass. Which gives just under 2400 fps in those three brands. I used to use rl-7 but since it isn't remotely the same powder as the old rl-7 with the red kernels I stopped using it in disgust. the old rl-7 in my experience was superior and slower burning than the new rl-7.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Hipshot said:
308/338,

Go up one this is for the .45-70's ! :)

Hip
Hipshot Yes I know I posted because I was excited about my 300 gr. loads in my 444 rifle not realizing the thread was in the 45-70 category. ::) I guess I reacted on the bold subject title ;D and in my excitement didn't notice the fine print. ;D

But you shouldn't let this bother you there are bigger thing to attend to ::)

T ;D NY

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to use this load for plinking and some more plinking:) I guess I would put myself in the same category as the other minorities on this website. And by minorities I mean those that believe there is no purpose whatsoever to push ANY 45-70 bullet to near/close max loads for 99.99% the situations encountered. 1600-1900 FPS is what I am looking for in a plinking load as well as a whitetail load(If and when I ever want to try something new). I will stick with my hornady 350 grn FPs at around 1800 fps for most of my hunting anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Str8Dave,
It sounds like you want a middle of the road load that has enough power for deer, but won't pound the stuffing out of you. The following load is the only jacketed load I shoot in my 22" barrel 1895. If I do my part it will pretty much put them all in one hole at 50 yards.

Case: Winchester
Primer: WLR
Powder: IMR3031 50 grains weighed on a scale. (some guys like the scoops)
Bullet: Hornady or Remington 300 grain JHP

This data is a smidge over the starting load from the Third Edition Hornady manual, page 301. They call it 1600fps...and it is very easy on the shoulder even from a bench.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
308/338 said:
Hipshot Yes I know I posted because I was excited about my 300 gr. loads in my 444 rifle not realizing the thread was in the 45-70 category. ::) I guess I reacted on the bold subject title ;D and in my excitement didn't notice the fine print. ;D

But you shouldn't let this bother you there are bigger thing to attend to ::)

T ;D NY
Didn't bother me! I just didn't want anyone to accidently get incorrect info. :)

Hip

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Str8,
In Ken Waters "PET LOADS" he lists from a 22" bbl Marlin-------Win. cases, WLR primers and 50 gr. IMR 3031 using 300 gr., 350 gr. and 405 gr. bullets all giving velocities of between 1600-1700 FPS.

I shot these loads using 300 & 405 gr. Rem. and 350 gr. Hornady FN and they are very accurate.

Another load you may wish to try is 30 gr. 2400 behind the 300 gr. Rem.---Verry accurate!
The load was taken from an Older Lyman manual---It does not list case brand or powder brand. The manual lists velocity as 1658 FPS. outa a 26" barrel. I shoot this load using WW brass and WLR primers and the are NO pressure signs.

Hip

1 - 20 of 24 Posts