Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Remington 170gr Round Nose Hollowpoint

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  kobeinu 
#1 · (Edited)
It seems the Core Lockt Hollowpoint was first offered as a Peters Cartridge in 1941, as it does not show in the 1940 Remington catalog. Now Peters didn't use the term Core Lockt , they used the term inner belted, but it is shown side by side with the Peters inter belted Soft Point design, which is the same bullet shown in the 1941 Remington Catalog but called a Core Lokt Soft Point by Remington. It was offered as the 170 HP 30-30 load, and in many others such as 303 Savage (180 gr) and 348 Winchester. It has the same inner belt as a Core Lockt, only with a Hollowpoint. It is shown as a slower opening bullet than the traditional softpoint for deeper penetration.

For those lucky enough to have or find these bullets, they are very good bullets. See link below, page 8.

http://cartridgecollectors.org/cont...ters Catalogs/1941-Peters-2 Jan-Dealer PL.pdf

#4 ·
So, is it a deer bullet or an elk bullet?

I have some, and shot some yesterday at the range. They're plenty accurate in my Handi-rifle .30-30 with open sights. I picked them up by mistake at the local Academy Store a few years ago. I didn't read the label close enough, and assumed that they were 170 gr. soft points. I remember Winchester made a similar bullet, but in the 150 gr. size, when I was a teenager. I shot the heck out of those back then, and "back then" was almost fifty years ago. I'm down to a piece of a box now, and I've never used them on deer, as I prefer soft points for deer. Those regular old soft point Corelokts work very well in any caliber for deer. If those 170 gr. HPs are deep penetrators, then they are probably considered a working man's elk or moose round. Who knows, they might even be good for Bigfoot....:hmmmm2:

#5 ·
Have used the Rem 170gr Hollowpoint on a lot of deer, but sped up to 2400/2500 fps out of 300 Savage or 308. Below are some test results, from the ammuntion test forum, focus on the 190 Hawk and 35 Remington. You can see the difference in bullet behavior between 2100 fps vs 2400 fps. Of the other two other 30-30 170gr bullets tested, one penetrated far deeper, and one much less so. I would not hesitate to use that bullet on a large black bear at 30-30 velocities, never hunted elk, so don't want to offer an opinion.

load, bullet weight, velocity, penetration (inches), expansion (.inch), retained weight

1). 170 Win PP Fac.....2257.........17...............515............129.....(30-30 Winchester factory)

1A) 170 Rem RNHP....2018.........15................497........ ....119.....(handload)

1B) 170 Speer FP.......2088.........12...............575........ .....159.....(handload)

2). 170 Rem RNHP.. ...2353.........9.5..............535............10 7.....(300 Savage load)

3). 190 Hawk FP ........2010.........12 ...............630...........180.... (30-30 load, no pressure signs)

#6 ·
The Hawk does retain its weight really good, yet somehow I would expect better penetration with that much retained weight. Oh well, it's all voo-doo magic anyway.......

I don't usually use 170's for deer, and prefer 150s, or 125 gr. Sierras. I just made the post above, because that 170 gr. RNHP was the only specimens that I'd ever seen of that ammo, and the Winny ammo referenced above isn't made anymore that I know of. It's all interesting to me, and I think that those Remington rounds would be really good hog loads. If I ever can score some of the bullets for reloading, I'll try them in my .308. I'm really partial to round nose bullets anyway, as I don't usually take a shot at more than 200 yds, so, I don't need highly streamlined bullets and prefer the terminal effect of the round noses.

This has been interesting......

#7 ·
Basically, the Hawk 190gr does retain weight well, but it is a relatively soft bullet that expands a lot, and keeps its wide mushroom, the resulting resistance is what hinders deep penetration, where as the Power Point maintained a much narrower mushroom, which I think allows for the deeper penetration. The Winchester 170 PowerPoint tested is current production and still listed by Winchester. The Rem 170gr RNHP is also in production by Remington, but is not often found.

#8 ·
The 170 gr Remington hollowpoint is my favorite round in my '64 Marlin 336. I haven't found any in 2 decades and am hoarding the few I have left. I 've killed many deer here in Mississippi with the round. Mississippi, I've been told, has the 2nd largest deer herd in the USA, behind Texas, and has a generous season and harvest. Saw a doe 30 yards behind the house while eating dinner. It has been a in its tracks round for me. Wish I could find some fresh ones to replenish my supply. My levergun prefers the 170 grainers over the 150's. I'm just an old fool, old school kind of guy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.