Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of loading up some Remington 158 grain JHP's for use on coyotes. The range will always be 100 yards or less. I want a frangible bullet that will absolutely come apart - hit or miss. What do you all think about this Remington handgun bullet?
Thanks
Greg

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
The bullet will still completely go through a coyote, and if you're counting on it to "blow up" inside the critter and not come out, you'll be disappointed.

If you're intending this for lower ricochet potential, it will do that, as well as kill the coyote quickly. Should this be what you want, and you don't care about hides anyway, this will work fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Reducing the potential for a ricochet is what I am after, not to mention the much lower price for a Remington hand gun bullet versus 35 caliber rifle bullets.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
One should not guarantee that a bullet will or will not ricochet, as that depends upon what it hits and its construction and velocity.

But the 38/357 handgun bullets are a great improvement over 35 caliber rifle bullets in reducing the tendency of ricochets to develop.

Be sure to check the ability of your rifle to feed these bullets by loading up the magazine and making sure they cycle reliably.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
They cycle fine in my 1974 336, I shoot a lot of them loaded at about 2050 fps over 22 gr. of 2400 powder. What powder do you plan to use, and what velocity are you looking for?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have not really thought about the powder as of yet. With stocks on hand I can go 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, and Trail Boss. Also thinking about rifle powders commonly used for lead bullets. Velocity should not be much of an issue as I would suspect anything over 1700 fps would work.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
coalgeo said:
Have not really thought about the powder as of yet. With stocks on hand I can go 2400, Unique, Blue Dot, and Trail Boss. Also thinking about rifle powders commonly used for lead bullets. Velocity should not be much of an issue as I would suspect anything over 1700 fps would work.
I've worked with 18 - 22 grains of 2400. The 22 grain is very accurate out of the 336.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Trail Boss won't get you there (1700 fps), and I'm not sure Blue Dot or Unique will either.

I would use Halwg's suggestion of 2400 as well. Speed should matter to some degree as lowering the velocities will increase the chance of a mostly intact bullet ricocheting. From 357 pistol speed on up they should kill coyotes well. Shooting out to 100, and allowing for trajectory suggests a minimum of about 1500 fps would be good.

I've had best luck with the 158's, accuracywise, as opposed to the short 125's so I certainly like your idea of bullet weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts