Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a store near me with a couple of these boxes in stock. Are they a good round? I heard they were quite explosive and destructive when it comes in contact with bone, is this true? Are they worth buying to try to see if they will even be accurate out of my 1951 336SC? Well, on the bright-side it would give me more brass to start reloading with. Would they even be a good varmint round, if they are accurate?

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Anytime you can find ammo for your 35 REM, stock up. I usually see Hornady Lever Evolution ammo for the 35 REM, and buy it when its available. I do have one box of the Remington ammunition, but I am hoarding it and don't know first hand about its destructive power. The 35 REM has a bit more shock power over the more common 30-30 and is a perfect rifle for both Black Bear and Elk in my home state of PA.

Mike T.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
When I've stumbled on the 150gr Rem ammo in .35 before, they had spire point bullets, and not recommended for rifles with tubular magazines. No clue what all bullets were offered by Rem in that 150gr weight though, but may be something to check on and/or consider as well. For what it is worth, the most accurate or best grouping factory ammo I've ever put through my .35 rem is that Hornady LE; my rifle seems to love the stuff.
Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I have a couple boxes of 150 Core Lokt that I bought to make sure I had some ammo and brass to load, but I haven't shot it yet.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Get some, as said, brass and for when one-in-the-gun and 1 in the tube works. It will take WT deer no issue.

·
Super Moderator
25,173 Posts
I know of some members would have loaded this ammo up end to end in their magazines with no issues. It is somewhat pointed but still comes to a flat point at the bullet end. I never see much of it in my LGSs--I would rather stick with the heavier 200 grain bullets anyway in the 35 Rem.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Here are some various 35 loads shot into saturated paper with plywood to simulate a shoulder bone. Would appear to offer potential as a deer load.

load fps penetration expansion retained weight

5). 35 Rem 150 Fac.....2380 ........10 ..............560 ...........121....(Remington factory load, 24 inch barrel)

6). 35 180 Speer FP....2262.........15.25...........490............ 154.....(35 Rem handload)

6A) 35 180 Speer FP...2690..........15...............625........... .119.....(358 Win/35 Whelen)

7). 35 Rem 200 RN.....2050.........12.0............575........... .166....(35 Rem factory load, 24 inch barrel)

7A) 35 Rem 200 RN....2381..........12.5............675........... 161.....(358/35 Whelen handload)

. 35 Rem 200 Fac.... 2093..........11.0............570............166.. ..(35 Rem Win factory, 24 inch barrel)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I will buy a box and try them out, after I'm done sighting in my new Williams peep fire sight. It better hurry up and arrive here soon, so I can put it on. I think the front fire sight, might look out of place on my '51 336SC. Here is a link to the Williams sight: Williams FP-94/36 Set Receiver Peep Sight Front Fire Sight Winchester

I just want something hi-vis while hunting in the woods of Western Washington. Do you think it would look too out of place on my old 336SC?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found 20 boxes of corelokt .35 Rem. the other day, some of it 150's. Since my Remington XP-100 loves that one, I bought a box and left the rest for someone else. The only deer I have shot with it was DRT.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Who cares what anyone else thinks about your rifle and its sights if they work for you! If you shoot better than before or get the animal you want in low light, that is what matters. Hope to hear more in a post titled Range report.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The 150 Core Lokt does have a blunted point. I have shot a lot of it in my 336 back when I was young and didn't know any better. I have part of a box left now and looking at them, I'm not sure I would do it again. I thought the point was flat and about the same size as a primer. Turns out it is rounded and somewhat smaller than a primer.

·
Registered
20,272 Posts
the bullet kills when loaded in a 358 winchester!
since it's factory loaded with no warning, it is deemed safe to shoot in a tubular magazine.
i have some of those bullets in bulk.
i don't think they are as accurate as the heavier bullets in my rifles.
your rifle may be different!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I was at WallyWorld and 2 gun stores today and all had ammo in stock for a change. One of the gun stores had .35 Remington, $36.95 a box. He had 4 boxes displayed on the shelf. I assumed he had more in the stock room but did not ask. First time I have seen any .35 Rem. around here is some time. Everybody seems to be getting powder and primers now but the price is up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw a case of the factory ammo loaded with 150gr CLs at Orions Arms in Jeffersonville, IN a month ago. I would have bought some but I have a few hundred of those bullets that I can load myself. When I get a roundtuit I'll shoot some into my bullet box filled with wet packed phone books and report my findings.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
403 Posts
I bought some that Dick's had on clearance a few years ago. I had read a bunch of posts that a lot of guys did not like their accuracy or performance on deer. My 336 loves them however. Very accurate. I have not tried them for deer and probably won't, only because 200gr does it that much better. Definitely a good source of brass though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
They were real popular back in the '80's in west Ga. I saw a lot of them used in Marlin 336's and never heard of a problem in the tubular magazines. I personally wouldn't be afraid to use them.
I've never bought any but did find a few where other hunters had dropped them. Shot them up for brass.
I did notice they shot to a bit different poi/poa from scoped rifles.
they didn't have a good reputation for accuracy; Different poi I noticed?
I found them to be accurate from the Rem 760 I had at the time. (But it was a very accurate rifle).
I didn't like the ergonomics and rattling for end of the Remington, traded it off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts