Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
A void like that won't be structurally significant. If you really like the wood, the void can be filled with epoxy and maintain or exceed the strength of the wood. You could also mix the epoxy with sawdust to match the rest of the wood.

Also you can wipe the blank with water to get an idea of the final color and figure.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have built quite a few scratch builds black powder. I would collect some fine sanding from your wood. I like to keep some dark walnut sand powder in a little medicine vial. Mix your original wood with some Elmer's and let it dry on a scratch piece to see how the color works. If you need it darker add some walnut. I like this when an inlay gets a bit sloppy. It will also take a finish. My mentor said it is how we hide our mistakes in the sands of time.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,640 Posts
Go on Mcmaster Carr web sight. They have resin filled fiberglass rods in all sorts of diameters. Stronger than you know what! Drill a hole just over sized to the rod, and drill a hole from (3/8?) or so from where the action rear tang is inletted down through the wrist with epoxy.

AC

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chances are if it doesn't disappear the epoxy you put in now won't flow all the way down in and likely leave an air bubble or bubbles, and repairing that when you get there could cause more issues. I wouldn't waste my time and resources until I had to. I would wait until final profile and see if filling it is even necessary. At that point you can actually see what's going on instead of guessing what's going on down in there where you can't see.

But, that's me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts