Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use these? I'm going to sight in tomorrow and will be hoping they'll be ok. Trying to extend the useful yardage of my .22. I like the higher velocity and the price sure beats the Velocitor.

Perferator

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
None of my Marlins like 'em, but since they all seem to have a different appetite, you may have good luck with them. I have 2 39A's that shoot CCI Mini-Mags better than anything.

Shum8

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's been a long time since I shot Yellow jackets. I seem to remember that my 10/22 did ok with them but I was plinking and not shooting at small game.

I agree with Shum8 about the mini mags.....I have several guns that like em....the solid points, the hollow points are just a tad less consistant in some of my guns.

If you are dead set on hyper vel. 22, and don't mind sinkin some time and money in a new hobby I have a humble suggestion. Green Mountain makes a 20 inch fluted bull barrel for a 10/22 that is chambered specifically for the CCI Stinger (you can't shoot stingers in their other match barrels for a couple of reasons). It would amount to getting a used 10/22, putting a new stock and the barrel on the receiver, and, maybe a 65 buck Clark drop-in trigger. Scope it, and you're good to go. I'm in the process of building one now just to see if it's gonna be a shooter. :lol:

Stingers run about 300 bucks for ten bricks at Midway. I haven't priced Yellow Jackets lately but the stingers use 30 gr bullets and I'll bet they are as fast as Yellow Jackets if not more so.

Just my two cents......anyway, good luck with whatever you shoot and have fun!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oldfart, good suggestions. I have a 10-22 with Clerke heavy and Hogue OM. It shoots better than it should. Really want the HV performance since moving from a house on the edge of a cedar swamp and thickets to wide open hay/corn fields. If I can find a good quick little round that will reach out to 100yds with reasonable accuracy that is where I'm headed. The second consideration (as you are familiar with sometimes finicky 10-22) is the reliability to cycle the rounds.

I guess I'll get my hinder out there and shoot a few. So far, they cycle ok....just gotta see how they group. I'm not concerned with meat damage...in fact, is what I'm looking for. :wink:

Thanx!

Perferator

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Perferator;
Yes, due to the longer case Stingers are not good for your target barrel.
However, besides the yellow Jacket (32 gr @ 1500) there is also a Federal hyper (31 gr @ 1550) and Aguila has a hyper at (30 gr @ 1750).

From my experience, the latter two are at least as accurate as the Yellow Jackets...and perhaps more so...

The Aguilas cost pennies more, the Federals pennies less...all have standard length cases.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I found the Yellow jackets to group much tighter than stingers in a button rifled recessed crown bbled s/a. They are definitely not for the littler edibles as they tear 'em up quite badly even at 50 yds and over.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
251 Posts
Doc Sharptail said:
I found the Yellow jackets to group much tighter than stingers in a button rifled recessed crown bbled s/a. They are definitely not for the littler edibles as they tear 'em up quite badly even at 50 yds and over.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Yeah but will they group tighter in a stinger chambered bull barrel????? Wha haha (maniacal laughter).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
oldfart said:
Doc Sharptail said:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Yeah but will they group tighter in a stinger chambered bull barrel????? Wha haha (maniacal laughter).
Stranger things have been known to happen, and any results of any kind would not surprise me in the least :lol: :lol: :lol: let us know how the Yellow Jackets do in ya new barrel :p

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
251 Posts
Doc Sharptail said:
oldfart said:
Doc Sharptail said:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Stranger things have been known to happen, and any results of any kind would not surprise me in the least :lol: :lol: :lol: let us know how the Yellow Jackets do in ya new barrel :p

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Dammit!!!! Now I have to spend more money onYellow Jackets just to compare!!!!!!!! Doc......you're a mean one!

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
oldfart said:
Doc Sharptail said:
oldfart said:
Doc Sharptail said:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Dammit!!!! Now I have to spend more money onYellow Jackets just to compare!!!!!!!! Doc......you're a mean one!
I'm pretty sure I'd give it a shot if I was the one with a new bbl to test with- not mean by nature at any rate :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
How many quotes within a quote :roll: can we get in one post???

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
719 Posts
yellow jackets.............

i made my longest shot w/ a 22 using the yellow jackets. a measured 175 yards, it was a heavy barreled savage bolt i believe, and a 4x scope. saw some turkeys way out there, and i estimated the range, placed the rifle in the crotch of a tree....pop! the turkey did a flip and ran a few yards. the bullet, went thru the upper gizzard area, breaking up and exiting! drop was about 3ft if i remember right. that was the only animal i ever shot with them...i used to buy my 22's in 5000 case quanity's ~ and yellow jackets were $$$$$ for a young lad on the farm! :wink:
now i have a lean/mean 22mag machine! CCI mags will give me under a MOA and plenty of zip! mn25 free floated barrel. :D

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I know they aren't the absolute best, but I've always found Wally World Bulk Pac ammo of one flavor or t'other would shoot pretty good. The Federal 36gr seems to do not bad at all in almost everything I have. The AirLite prefers Winchester Wildcats (can't find 'em anymore....saving my last brick and a half for a rainy day).

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've gotten some phenomenal groups and outstanding (read: lucky) shots on crows out to 120yds with the lowly Fed Lightnings.

I really like the yellow jackets. This phinicky stinkin' 10-22 really doesnt cyle but a few types of ammo so I dont have much to choose from in terms of accuracy comparison. Not to mention I've whittled the field down to a hand-full of hyper velocity rounds. The other day I shot a group at 100yds and it looked to be satisfactory considering the wind. Right now I'm setting up bottles and plinking at that range just to get used to them. Shot a pop can full of water at 20yds and it just flat blew up. :shock:

Now if I can find a squirrel to pick on. :wink:

Perferator

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If the Yellowjackets (33gr @1500) work well, you may want to try their solid point twin, Viper (36gr @ 1410)...
The Aguilas are HOT...but comparing them on my desk at this moment, the shell casing is longer, ....just like the Stinger...
Do not overlook those little Federal hypers (31gr @ 1550) they are pretty good and seem to shoot well...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yellow Jackets!!...Now thats a trip down memory Lane. I havent seen em in years, but thats all I ever used as a kid when woodchuck hunting. My 780 just loved em and when you hit a chuck with em.....they just fell over in a pile. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Remington yellow jackets came out some time ago and like stingers, they were the "new and exciting" .22 lr round. Back then, I shot CCI mini-mags because of better penetration on ground hogs. My little brother on the other hand, fell in love with the RYJ's but thought that they didn't shoot real well and so, he asked me to "test" them for accuracy....

Shooting his Ruger MKI with 6 7/8 inch Bbl. pistol @ 50 yards(in proper fashion) they grouped under one inch and averaged right at 1/2 inch. I have not shot them since, preferring instead the consistent accuracy of the Federal American Eagle h.p. in my own Ruger pistols. Over the years, I have found Remington to be inconsistent in any of my Ruger .22 lr pistols. They may however, shoot more consistently in a well tuned rifle.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts