Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother recently purchased a new Remlin GBL. The fit and finish matches my JM-proofed GBL, however, it came missing the trigger plate support screw which installs from the left side of the receiver. We plan on shooting it for the first time tomorrow and the screw being sent from Ilion hasn't arrived yet. Is it safe to shoot a box of Beartooth 425 gr, 50 gr H322 45/70's without it?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Myguess, and only a guess, is that with the missing screw and a missing screw you could bend something if its the screw I'd thinking of. I'd wait, better safe than sorry. BTW - congrats on the new gun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just ran the numbers for your load in my Quickload software.....

Step Fill. Charge Vel. Energy Pmax Pmuz Prop.Burnt B_Time
% % Grains fps ft.lbs psi psi % m
+00.0 106 50.00 1864 3287 43334 5043 96.1 1.223 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Not sure if that load is safe at all...screw missing or not. Have you worked up to this level in your load development?

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You can shoot it without that screw. More than anything it supports the trigger plate during cycling. I have an old 1893 from before they started putting it there & with the lever open you can twist the triggerplate slightly. Wether or notthat particular load is safe I cant say. You could always just use a screw from another Marlin temorarilly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can you expand on the handloads you shot when you went to the range? I am looking for some heavy for caliber loads and yours is way off any table that I have so I am curious how it went.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Well, if he doesn't come back we'll know he blew himself up! ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This load is straight from Marshall Stanton, Beartooth Bullets. Actually, he gave me three loads, 47, 50, and 53 grains of H322. I worked with all three loadings but Marshall stated that 50 gr was his go-to load and I standardized on it. This is a common load for people using his 425 gr piledriver jr bullet. I use Winchester brass and LR primers. I've shot several boxes of this load through my GBL and it doesn't feel any more punishing than factory leverevolutions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to know. I wish someone would make up a better list of loads. The cast loads tend to be set up for the older guns.

Thanks for the info. I am going to look at some more load options.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts