Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rem-Marlin closed the CT plants for their guns, where are they being made now, where are the parts from if "assembled" in ///. Recently looked at new 39 and new 44M rifle, did not seem quite the same as my old 39A (1960 or so). Are they still making in USA? Noted that selling point on the Henry guns are "!00% made in USA". kind of curious if Marlin got shipped offshore or such. Hope not!

·
Registered
43 Posts
blizzard said:
Rem-Marlin closed the CT plants for their guns, where are they being made now, where are the parts from if "assembled" in ///. Recently looked at new 39 and new 44M rifle, did not seem quite the same as my old 39A (1960 or so). Are they still making in USA? Noted that selling point on the Henry guns are "!00% made in USA". kind of curious if Marlin got shipped offshore or such. Hope not!
Read some of the posts on this section, lots of info on the changes. 8)
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,179.0.html

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
blizzard said:

From my understanding they are making the Leverguns in Ilion, NY, and the .22's including the 39 in Kentucky! I believe the the Bolt Action Centerfires are being made in Kentucky too but don't hold me too that. I'm not quite sure about those but I think that is correct!!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
blizzard said:
This is really OLD news.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Halwg said:
This is really OLD news.
That must'a been the guy in the TV commercial, that lives under the rock??..................... :-X
The levers, (incl the 39) are attempting to be made in Ilion NY, and the bolt actions in Mayfield Ky.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Halwg said:
This is really OLD news.
Might be "old news" to some, but my Marlins go back to 1950's never saw need to buy a new one, guess you kiddies with the new guns keep up on such stuff, I found no need to do so. And note the old ones still shoot exactly as well now as when I got them new. ONLY thing in 39 is it still has a bit of metal from gum wrapper forced into the little cut out where the ejector metal spring steel existed. They used to break quite regularyily and one day simply shoved the gum wrapper in there to get it to grab and eject. STILL there and works just fine. Blue is worn, stock is worn, I am worn, but we work well together.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
blizzard said:
Might be "old news" to some, but my Marlins go back to 1950's never saw need to buy a new one, guess you kiddies with the new guns keep up on such stuff, I found no need to do so. And note the old ones still shoot exactly as well now as when I got them new. ONLY thing in 39 is it still has a bit of metal from gum wrapper forced into the little cut out where the ejector metal spring steel existed. They used to break quite regularyily and one day simply shoved the gum wrapper in there to get it to grab and eject. STILL there and works just fine. Blue is worn, stock is worn, I am worn, but we work well together.

Hey Blizzard,

Welcome to the forum..........Sorry about my "Guy Under the Rock" comment, its just the first thing I thought of, and its a really dumb TV commercial, if you haven't seen it.....heck, I can't even recall what the commercial is trying to sell!.......Even so, I apologize. I was wrong, and insensitive to say that.

Re: remington and Marlin...........It seems remington is bent on wringing all the dollars out of the Marlin name, at the expense of ruining the product. There's alot of factual info on the whole fiasco, if you search the Rant Forum.

I understand worn bluing and old worn stocks, and I understand us being a bit worn, ourselves.........At 65, I'm no kiddie anymore, either...........And yeah, there are a lot of younger shooters talking about new stuff, that I never heard of, and have no interest in, when I do find out what it is..............

Re: 39's....... Well, they just arn't quite the same now, as your old 60's rifle.........Lucky you!.....The new ones not only have cross bolt safeties, but also rebounding hammers!

The present Marlin offerings don't excite many of us that own older rifles, and the general thought now, is only shop the "used racks" for additional Marlins..........who wants to lay down good money for some poorly made junk?

Enjoy those older rifles.

Best regards,

Tom

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
blizzard said:
Welcome to Marlin Owners Blizzard! I try to pick up the "old" ones from the used gun racks as well even with a little wear on them...

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Welcome to MO Blizzard from another OLD BUZZARD - while I am 65 YO and have been shooting all my life I am new to Marlin Levers as I have purchased all 5 of mine in the last 2 years although they are all TRUE MARLINS made in the Connecticut Plant by TOMRAY and KON and several other MO's. Needless to say the FORMER MARLIN EMPLOYEES (there are NONE in the Remington Plant in NY) are equally disgusted - probably more so - than the rest of us on the total quality failure by REMLIN or MARLINGTON as some see fit to call the new company. By the way the CT plant was closed in August/September 2010 if my old brain is still working and moved to the Remington Plant in Ilion, NY. where they are attempting to build Bushmaster, Marlin, Remington, DPMS, and H&R rifles all on the same manufacturing lines!!!

Rest assured there are a lot of good Marlins out there - - just watch out for anything that has this on it:

That is the Remington Proof Mark. Your old Marlins should have a JM proof mark for John Marlin.

Here are my Marlins - as I said - all made by the real Marlin folks in New Haven and built from 2004 through 2009:

Great folks in MO and great camaraderie on owning Marlins.

GB45

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
PS: Still parts available from MIDWAY, NUMRICH, and BROWNELLS as well as here on the forum in the TRADE/SALE section.

GB45

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
I'm another old buzzard too, but the wife and I have two of the Marlins that were built in Ilion, and both of them are well put together. The only complaint we have is that the trigger pull on my wife's is too heavy, but that is easily fixed. My advice is to examine any new Marlin carefully before laying down any cash.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Welcome to MO Blizzard from another OLD BUZZARD - while I am 65 YO and have been shooting all my life I am new to Marlin Levers as I have purchased all 5 of mine in the last 2 years although they are all TRUE MARLINS made in the Connecticut Plant by TOMRAY and KON and several other MO's. Needless to say the FORMER MARLIN EMPLOYEES (there are NONE in the Remington Plant in NY) are equally disgusted - probably more so - than the rest of us on the total quality failure by REMLIN or MARLINGTON as some see fit to call the new company. By the way the CT plant was closed in August/September 2010 if my old brain is still working and moved to the Remington Plant in Ilion, NY. where they are attempting to build Bushmaster, Marlin, Remington, DPMS, and H&R rifles all on the same manufacturing lines!!!

Rest assured there are a lot of good Marlins out there - - just watch out for anything that has this on it:

That is the Remington Proof Mark. Your old Marlins should have a JM proof mark for John Marlin.

Here are my Marlins - as I said - all made by the real Marlin folks in New Haven and built from 2004 through 2009:

Great folks in MO and great camaraderie on owning Marlins.

GB45
GB45......................

At 65, I'm old enough to remember when Bunker Hunt and his brother, (whoever he was...) cornered the World Silver Market, and prices went wild....

I think you're on your way to cornering the World Market on Stainless Steel, with that fine collection of Marlins!

I like blue rifles, but those are NICE rifles........ ;D ;D

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Thanks Tom . That one 1894CSS on the bottom, the NAKED ONE, is the one you and Leverdude, and Swany helped me fix the cartridges catching on top of the chamber.

Wouldn't trade any of them . .

In case you were WONDERING? :eek: :p

Top to Bottom:

336SS .30-30
1894SS .44 Magnum
1895GS .45-70
1894CSS .357 Magnum Scoped
1894CSS .357 NAKED!

If anyone is wondering how come two CSS's the story is this - - I placed an order with my Gun Shop for a CSS. They called me a couple weeks later and told me it was in. When I got there I found out it was an 1894C - - - you know the BLUED ONE WITH THE LONG OCTAGON BARREL? Well it was purty for sure but it was not what I wanted so they put it on the shelf and sold it the next day . . . . .

So they told me there were no CSS rifles available but they would keep trying. In the meantime an M.O. read my post about the 1894C and sent me a PM saying he had a spare CSS. We made a deal and the rifle was shipped. Got a call from my gun shop that my CSS had come in. Go to the shop and guess what - - - - they multiplied and became TWINS! So on the same day I received TWO 1894CSS beauties - - - - and in one day I went from 3 Marlin Levers to 5 Marlin Levers - - - and haven't looked back since.

GB45

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
Thanks Tom . That one 1894CSS on the bottom, the NAKED ONE, is the one you and Leverdude, and Swany helped me fix the cartridges catching on top of the chamber.

Wouldn't trade any of them . .

In case you were WONDERING? :eek: :p

Top to Bottom:

336SS .30-30
1894SS .44 Magnum
1895GS .45-70
1894CSS .357 Magnum Scoped
1894CSS .357 NAKED!

If anyone is wondering how come two CSS's the story is this - - I placed an order with my Gun Shop for a CSS. They called me a couple weeks later and told me it was in. When I got there I found out it was an 1894C - - - you know the BLUED ONE WITH THE LONG OCTAGON BARREL? Well it was purty for sure but it was not what I wanted so they put it on the shelf and sold it the next day . . . . .

So they told me there were no CSS rifles available but they would keep trying. In the meantime an M.O. read my post about the 1894C and sent me a PM saying he had a spare CSS. We made a deal and the rifle was shipped. Got a call from my gun shop that my CSS had come in. Go to the shop and guess what - - - - they multiplied and became TWINS! So on the same day I received TWO 1894CSS beauties - - - - and in one day I went from 3 Marlin Levers to 5 Marlin Levers - - - and haven't looked back since.

GB45
GB45,
Nice, well rounded Collection.........I wish you the very best, with them.

Tom

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
TOMRAY,

Your Hunt brothers comment reminded me of the cheapest gun I ever bought. On the day silver was the highest I sold 5 silver dollars and then went to the local hardware and purchased a model 19 in .357. Five dollars for a new gun that I wish I still had!!

Arkie

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Welcome to sight blizzard,wile not a old buzzard yet, only in my 50' so I guess that means I'm just a young bird, was at bass pro shop and looked at one and I think they wanted 475.00 for and the exact same one at wllmart was 325.00, its only the second one I'v seen could not work thr action they had it locked shut metal looked good, wood to metal fit was like crap. Not for me.

If it's not JM proofmark, it aint a marlin.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
Arkie said:
TOMRAY,

Your Hunt brothers comment reminded me of the cheapest gun I ever bought. On the day silver was the highest I sold 5 silver dollars and then went to the local hardware and purchased a model 19 in .357. Five dollars for a new gun that I wish I still had!!

Arkie
Arkie,

GOOD FOR YOU!...............At least somebody made out, in that scheme.........I wish you'd kept the gun too.........it'd be nice to look back on THAT purchase now, huh?

Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd just like to butt in and offer thanks for the rehash....i had no idea how much things had changed since the sale.....one reason i was always a Marlin fan even back in the early 60's is because it was a family business and stayed one until of late....my condolences....my last "new" Marlin was a 39 a year or two back, perhaps after the change i wasn't paying attention....had to de-rebound the hammer simply to get reliable ignition of any .22 i tried, and the shooting qualities were unremarkable and the expensive sucker was sold shortly thereafter, not at all what i was expecting from previous 39 experience/ownership....Winchester has had the same problems with its rebounding hammer since introed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tomray said:
Hey Blizzard,

Welcome to the forum..........Sorry about my "Guy Under the Rock" comment, its just the first thing I thought of, and its a really dumb TV commercial, if you haven't seen it.....heck, I can't even recall what the commercial is trying to sell!.......Even so, I apologize. I was wrong, and insensitive to say that.

Re: remington and Marlin...........It seems remington is bent on wringing all the dollars out of the Marlin name, at the expense of ruining the product. There's alot of factual info on the whole fiasco, if you search the Rant Forum.

I understand worn bluing and old worn stocks, and I understand us being a bit worn, ourselves.........At 65, I'm no kiddie anymore, either...........And yeah, there are a lot of younger shooters talking about new stuff, that I never heard of, and have no interest in, when I do find out what it is..............

Re: 39's....... Well, they just arn't quite the same now, as your old 60's rifle.........Lucky you!.....The new ones not only have cross bolt safeties, but also rebounding hammers!

The present Marlin offerings don't excite many of us that own older rifles, and the general thought now, is only shop the "used racks" for additional Marlins..........who wants to lay down good money for some poorly made junk?

Enjoy those older rifles.

Best regards,

Tom
Wonder where they get the parts, metal and wood from, as lots of "Made in USA" is more like "assembled in USA". I also have old model 53 Man Shcnzr, full stock carbine/half stock in 3006 and would never sell them. Rugers are all three screw, and not for sale. But the bluing is worn, the stocks a bit dinged and the best part is kind of point them like shotgun as old friends. DID notice the newer Marlins did not have same "sound" or feel of the older ones, probably the result of moving to cheaper labor areas.. as the folks in NE knew how to build a gun. One reason so fond of Ruger is they do nice job on their pistols and single shot. Do not know about others and their customer service is best in world, legendary is an understatement. Have old three screw long barrel Ruger 22 that makes good mate for the 39A. Sorry to see so many have quality sacrificed to make a extra dollar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mtngunr said:
I'd just like to butt in and offer thanks for the rehash....i had no idea how much things had changed since the sale.....one reason i was always a Marlin fan even back in the early 60's is because it was a family business and stayed one until of late....my condolences....my last "new" Marlin was a 39 a year or two back, perhaps after the change i wasn't paying attention....had to de-rebound the hammer simply to get reliable ignition of any .22 i tried, and the shooting qualities were unremarkable and the expensive sucker was sold shortly thereafter, not at all what i was expecting from previous 39 experience/ownership....Winchester has had the same problems with its rebounding hammer since introed.
A gunsmith bud calls them "Lawyer safety's" as probably corp lawyers added all the stuff to "make sure we cannot get sued" etc. My ole three screw ruger had "fix" and the transfer bar safety broke, factory had to replace. But since no one invented a cure for dumb, can expect this sort of stuff to go on and on, and more "safety fixes"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts