Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Rem. 788 223 Rem. Trigger problem.

4K views 39 replies 9 participants last post by  308/338 
#1 · (Edited)
I brought my Rem. 788 NIB some time ago. It has been in the safe most of its life. The last time I took it to the range about five years ago it was shooting ten rings all day. Now that it seems that places of intrest are now open to full capacity here in NYS I'll make a range trip to tune in my Rem. 788 223 Rem.: But when checking out the rifle the bolt won't cock and it seems the trigger is stuck. I wasn't able to free it so after some investigation I found out that the only problem with all 788 rifle was the triggers. I went online to find a new trigger assembly. I came across Timney Triggers but would have to put in a backorder and wait.

Okay. Now I am wondering who has a Timney Trigger in their bolt action rifle. Will appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance
Anthony

Reactions: Boris
#4 ·
G'day Anthony. I have the same rifle and added a Timney trigger. Money well spent IMO. Very easy to do also.

Reactions: 308/338
#7 · (Edited)
The Stock on the Rem. 788 is made to accommodate a variety of cartridges so maybe there is enough room so to just drop it in. I have been watching videos on youtube some timney videos and some self videos and no mention of wood work to be done. But thanks again because if there is it won't be unexpected. PS advertisement said drop in fit. I hope so.

#6 · (Edited)
dunbarboy thanks for your input. Yes I saw it on ebay but I went to the Timney Triggers website and purchaced direct from them. I trust dealing with Timney Triggers for all the good reasons. I once bought a handle for a fishing reel off eBay used my credit card and a week later I got a notice from my credit card company that a ladies purse was purchased for $2100. USD in a store in Manhattan. Well I called up the store and spoke with the person who took the order and told him I didn't place that order and I notified the credit company not to credited your store. So not so eager to deal with eBay anymore.

Old Wound. thanks for you input. It wouldn't move after I tried to degree it so took it apart and spread it WD-40 and had to fine sandpaper the harden grease off the parts. But the trick was to put it back together, good luck with that without the right tools. Those springs just won't cooperate and the thought if I did it wrong the rifle might go off unexpectedly.

Boris. Thank you for you input. I decided to go for it and purchase the Timney trigger direct from the manufacturer. But it's on backorder will probably receive it within two months or less. The price was no more than other suppliers would offer. I bought this Rem. 788 223 Rem NIB think it cost $175. out the door and now 50 years later a trgger assembly is costing me $149.99 USD. But it is worthed because the value of the 788 increase threefold. PS. This Rem. 788 223 R. rifle can shoot a groundhog between the eyes at 100 yards.

Reactions: Skyhunter and Boris
#8 ·
Mine has a custom stock , sorry didn't mention that. The thread is in the rifle section if your interested. Others left some good info too.

#9 ·
I brought my Rem. 788 NIB some time ago. It has been in the safe most of its life. The last time I took it to the range about five years ago it was shooting ten rings all day. Now that it seems that places of intrest are now open to full capacity here in NYS I'll make a range trip to tune in my Rem. 788 223 Rem.: But when checking out the rifle the bolt won't cock and it seems the trigger is stuck. I wasn't able to free it so after some investigation I found out that the only problem with all 788 rifle was the triggers. I went online to find a new trigger assembly. I came across Timmey Triggers but would have to put in a backorder and wait.

Okay. Now I am wondering who has a Timmey Trigger in their bolt action rifle. Will appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance
Anthony
I thought Remington was supposed to replace all the triggers on their center fire bolt guns. Did that only cover the 700

#10 ·
#12 ·
Was the stock original and so did the Timney trigger dropped right in without modifying the trigger area?

Reactions: OLSKOOL and Boris
#17 ·
I brought my Rem. 788 NIB some time ago. It has been in the safe most of its life. The last time I took it to the range about five years ago it was shooting ten rings all day. Now that it seems that places of intrest are now open to full capacity here in NYS I'll make a range trip to tune in my Rem. 788 223 Rem.: But when checking out the rifle the bolt won't cock and it seems the trigger is stuck. I wasn't able to free it so after some investigation I found out that the only problem with all 788 rifle was the triggers. I went online to find a new trigger assembly. I came across Timney Triggers but would have to put in a backorder and wait.

Okay. Now I am wondering who has a Timney Trigger in their bolt action rifle. Will appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance
Anthony
In answer to your issue----I have a 788 in 22-250 and the problem of them becoming "Frozen" was due to a dissimilar metals corrosion. The body of the trigger is an aluminum alloy with steel parts inside and due to some kind of electrolysis over time the guts freeze up. I got mine to "unfreeze" by soaking it in "Liquid wrench" but it will freeze again. I ended up replacing it with a Timney for the 788. The Timney will require you to hog out some of the stock to make it fit and to make sure that the trigger has clearance in the bottom plate. Other than that the Timney is a great trigger.

Reactions: Boris and 308/338
#20 ·
Well it took 45 to 50 years for the trigger to freeze up on me. My fault I should have taken it out of the stock now and then just to maintain the trigger mechanism.
Thanks for the info.
Anthony

#18 ·
I emailed Timney's service and my reply was.: Timney relies very quickly.

There is a possibility your stock would require a little inletting as the tolerances can slightly be different per stock

Okay I may have to buy fine wood files and sandpaper too.
Timney service replies very quickly.

#22 · (Edited)

Thanks in advance
Anthony
Yesterday Thursday I received the Timney Trigger. Today after lunch I started installing the new Timney Trigger in the REM. 788-223Rem. The trigger went right into its place and I tested to see if the bolt would work. It fired (dry fired) safety and bolt in and bolt out, all good. But the trigger cavity in the stock needs sanding all four sides. This didn’t take long and I’m back in business. PS. I had the trigger sent to me with a three pound pull, feels nice.

Reactions: OLSKOOL and Boris
#25 ·
Yesterday Thursday I received the Timney Trigger. Today after lunch I started installing the new Timney Trigger in the REM. 788-223Rem. The trigger went right into its place and I tested to see if the bolt would work. It fired (dry fired) safety and bolt in and bolt out, all good. But the trigger cavity in the stock needs sanding all four sides. This didn’t take long and I’m back in business. PS. I had the trigger sent to me with a three pound pull, feels nice.

View attachment 851126 View attachment 851127 View attachment 851128 View attachment 851129 View attachment 851130 View attachment 851131 View attachment 851132
To much trouble for this old fella
I took mine to my gunsmith, I will give you a step by step to modify the original trigger foe $5
Remove trigger group from rifle.

Remove bolt stop and sear spring
Drill a small hole in the rear of trigger assembly and tap.

Put screw in and adjust length of spring to the depth of the screw.

Trigger will now flop around .

Drill a small hole in the front of trigger assembly and tap.
Using a new screw with a point ground on it fit a new spring for the desired weigh.
Mine is set for 1 and a half pound but depending on the spring used it can be made as light as a few ounces to what ever weight you want.
If you search the net for modifying the 788 trigger there is all the correct Drill sizes and directions you need.
It takes about 15 minutes to convert a crap trigger to a poor man's Timney
Bob Nelson

#23 ·
Looks Good! Just make sure that the trigger is not touching or rubbing where it passes through the bottom plate and has enough clearance to the guard loop.

#24 · (Edited)
Looks Good! Just make sure that the trigger is not touching or rubbing where it passes through the bottom plate and has enough clearance to the guard loop.
Looks fully functional without putting live rounds throught it but plan on going to the range soon.

#30 · (Edited)
Okay I have my trigger problem solved replacing it with a Timney trigger and now I'm preparing once fired 223 cases I picked up right after they were fired at a range.

Max. 223 Rem. case lenght is 1.760" and can be trim to lenght 1.750". After full sizing these caes and matching head stamps I have 100 of the same brass.

Measuring the brass I get lenghts of 1.750" to 1.737".:

Now I'm thinking to trimming forty pieces to 1.740" length.
Okay I have my trigger problem solved replacing it with a Timney trigger and now I'm preparing once fired 223 cases I picked up right after they were fired at a range.

Max. 223 Rem. case lenght is 1.760" and can be trim lenght 1.750". After full sizing these caes and matching head stamps I have 100 of the same brass.

If the brass trimmed to 1.740" I will put a light crimp in cannelure.
But if case mouth isn't within cannelure I will go without a crimp.

What would you do?

#31 ·

Max. 223 Rem. case lenght is 1.760" and can be trim to lenght 1.750". After full sizing these caes and matching head stamps I have 100 of the same brass.

Max. 223 Rem. case lenght is 1.760" and can be trim lenght 1.750". After full sizing these caes and matching head stamps I have 100 of the same brass.

What would you do?

What would you do?
@308/338
If you are using a bolt action rifle there is no need to crimp.
Being range brass I would check the primers haven't been crimped in. Federal are crimped. If you don't stage the primer pockets or clean the crimp out you will not be able to seat a new primer.
Bob

#32 · (Edited)
Finally got to go to the range and fired my REM. 788-223 with new Timney trigger and my reloads of Starling 5.6x45 brass trimmed to 1.740”, fed. SP. 200, AA 2520, 23gr., Bullet - HDY. 3226 SP w/c 55 gr., C.O.L. 2.200” shot off sandbags at 100 yards. I would have had better crouping if I used a rifle rest.

Attachments

#33 ·
So---how do you like that Timney on the 788 ?? I had the same issue with the stock 788 trigger----the internal parts would just freeze up solid. I have 2 rifles that did the same thing. It is some kind of reaction with the steel parts against the aluminum body. I went to Timney triggers on both and never had a problem since.

Reactions: 308/338 and Boris
#34 ·
So far I am liking the Timney trigger I had the trigger sent to me with a three pound pull for target and hunting uses. I was at the range with a friend he asked me if he can shoot my rifle and he shot three shots only right in the bullseye at 100 yards.

Reactions: Cowboy23* and Boris
#35 ·
The problem is solved here but im going to post this info anyway=

This freezing up is a fairly common issue in the model 788. what causes it in general is either cleaning solvents/ oil/ penetrating oil getting into the trigger. The worst culprit is the latter...especially WD40. The housing on these triggers has a chemical reaction to it and it gums up in there. the only way to solve the issue is take it apart and degrease it with brake cleaner. Or replace it which is a much better option.

#36 ·
Whatever the problem is Remington should have thought better by making the housing out of magnesium which bleeds onto other parts for whatever reason causing the mechanism ot seize.

I had problems with salvent, oil, penetrating etc. before with one rifle in W.94-356W. and the other a Browning BAR-22LR both the firing mechanism fail to work but not seized because all parts were made of steel. Ease clean up and back in action.

#37 ·
well, we are talking about a rifle that hasnt been in production since the 80s. i have no idea what remingtons reasoning was as to why they did not adress this. I was told by someone that back in the day the owners manual said not to oil the trigger, but i cant say if it did or not. every one i have owned or currently own has the timney replacement, mainly because it is adjustable and the factory is not.

#38 ·
If the instructions did say to not oil the trigger I never bothered to read my instructions----I still have that original Remington 788 user instructions. In fact I never read any of my firearms user manuals............

#39 · (Edited)
Well Cowboy23 whether the owners manual instruction states not to oil the trigger mechanism or to oil shouldn’t cause parts to seize up in a firearm. Oil will get into the trigger mechanism when cleaning the bore. Yes oil can gum up the works, but not fuse the parts up. Well this trouble is behind me now and I now have a better firearm with the Timney trigger mechanism installed.

Reactions: navajo and Boris
#40 ·

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.