Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a like-new Rem. 770 in 30-06 for very cheap. I could use this as my truck gun. I would probably remove the
scope (not all that great of one), shorten the bbl., and install a nice set of irons on it. I remember shooting a friends 710 when they
first came out and felt that better guns were being built in backstreet third world garages. Are the 770's any better.
I would not have a chance to shoot it before the transaction was dealt.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I have a chance to buy a like-new Rem. 770 in 30-06 for very cheap. I could use this as my truck gun. I would probably remove the
scope (not all that great of one), shorten the bbl., and install a nice set of irons on it. I remember shooting a friends 710 when they
first came out and felt that better guns were being built in backstreet third world garages. Are the 770's any better.
I would not have a chance to shoot it before the transaction was dealt.

Thanks!
I have NOT handled the Model 770 but my LGS gunsmith describes them as a one hunt throw away rifle. After he told me that--I never wanted to handle or look at one.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Ret_Eng.. Guess Remington just keeps pushing more pooh down the assembly line!

Oh Holy Crap!...I just saw the name of your hometown. I should have said "Remington Mgf." He-he!!!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I'd be hard pressed to buy one for any price. The descriptions you got match my assessment, though I freely admit I've never shot one. I realize you have a potential deal on one, but a well used 700,win 70, ruger 77 or savage 110 can be had cheap if you're patient and would likely serve you better. Even in the bargain basement category a ruger American, TC venture or savage axis feel more substantial....

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I had a 710 in .270 years ago I used it one season and got rid of it biggest piece of junk I ever owned I wouldn't buy one at any price!!!

Reactions: redlegagent

·
Registered
395 Posts
my friends son bought one in 30/06
kid love to shoot it, shoots very small groups, and the kid has about 500+ rounds thru it problem free
just remember it is what it is, its a cheap rifle, never was made to be a top shelf gun, but its safe its accurate and it goes bang every time so far
so?? for a beater truck gun, I'd say its a good rifle for that
would I take it on a high dollar long walk back country hunt??
hell NO
have much better guns I trust a lot more fo things like that!
seen them on sale many times pretty darn cheap new too, so if buying used, it would have to be even cheaper to me!
and as for putting sights on the barrel, that seems like mroe work than I would want to do to a cheap rifle
I'd stick with a decent scope, but then my eye's ain;t as good as they once were, I'm a scope rifle guy these days, and happy with scopes

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
As noted - the 770 is simply a 710 redux. It is an "economy" model rifle and not made to last. Yes - you can find posts and videos saying that someone's "shoots great". To that I would reply shoot it regularly for a while and get back to me. My buddy had a 710 for a while. Within a year of regular shooting he was replacing parts and within 3 years the barrel was shot out and it wouldn't hold any accuracy. "Cheap" firearms are cheap for a reason - that being they are usually made of cheap parts. Yes - they may "shoot great" for a time - but they rarely last unless it's a couple boxes a year (maybe) gun. :flute:

·
Super Moderator
25,165 Posts
I have a Savage Axis in .308 and shoots very well for an entry level gun.
I whole heartedly agree here--Savage makes fantastic lower cost high quality forearms. Since you want a short barreled bolt gun with iron sights--the best solution is to buy a Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter. This rifle has a 20 inch threaded barrel, composite stock, great iron sights, and an oversized bolt handle. It comes in 223/308 Win/338 Win Mag--new they are running around 425-475 bucks but you can find a used one cheaper. I had one of these in 308 Win but traded it for a Marlin Texan in 30-30. I still miss that rifle and I think it would fill your needs much better than a cheaply made Remington.

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I guess it might depend on what "very cheap" means, and what/how you expect to use it? If you want to have something handy in your truck, no big worry about it being stolen, or beat up, etc., it might be worth it if you know what I mean. Good luck to you.

Reactions: redlegagent

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
I guess it might depend on what "very cheap" means, and what/how you expect to use it? If you want to have something handy in your truck, no big worry about it being stolen, or beat up, etc., it might be worth it if you know what I mean. Good luck to you.
There is truth to the saying "you get what you pay for" and thus when buying something one must take into account intended use. If someone wants a cheap few boxes a year hunting rifle and as you note are not that concerned about maintaining it for the long haul - then it might suffice for a time. For myself - when I "invest" in a firearm I want something to last a bit and thus I am willing to pay a bit more for a rifle that should last many seasons as well as some range time. :flute:

·
Registered
395 Posts
there is also a saying folks are slow to change, and new tech
the 770 should be still working fine in 100 yrs IF taken care of, just look back at some of the guns still about that were made with less than the best things, yet still survived the yrs, due to more ior less someone stored then and cared for them enought to make them last
a Modern gun made today has all it needs to last a 100+ yrs if taken care of

an example of change is Computers
many fought them and were very slow to change, saying they would never last
yet now adays, few folks DON"T own one
same with cell phones
once a FAD by many people's view
and now?? again few folks don't have one
sure there are guns tried and true,
BUT to be honest, even the new 700's are not the same guns as they once were
look at how many different one's they make and there price tags, the SPS's can be had many time a yr new with a scope and a hard case, for under 300
bucks at Cabela's
there a 700, but the metal work is c rude and on the cheap side, where the same 700 on there uppper price tag models are still 700's but have better finish on them
but even the bettter once are made differently than they were 40 yrs ago
as time goes by the change the way they build things, facts of life
I am a rem 700 man too, have many custom guns built off there actions, and still my action I prefer
just saying, a number or model will never be teh same from the dam it came out to yrs down the road
every company is into the botom line, and cut corners from time to time, or use cheaper metal process or?? and from "X" yr to "X" yr, the same model can be a different animal!

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you wanted to built the biggest piece of junk firearm You would have a hard time beating the Remington 710 or 770.And I have handled them and shot them.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I personally can't stand them. I'd probably opt for a ruger American, but if it was dirty cheap, with a short barrel and irons it would probably be a pretty cool little beater. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
If its dirt cheap, I don't think it'd be a bad choice of a beater. It's what my cousin uses, granted he's a poor high school student (the only thing worse than a poor college student) but he's never had an issue with his. I carried it one day this past season after getting frustrated my 336 wasn't sighted in. It seemed to be decently put together. I never had to shoot it so can't comment on that. But the bolt was decently smooth and cycled fine. Personally I wouldn't pay much over 200.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Companies can make cheap guns that last. I just don't think that 770 falls in that category. Cheap guns from the past were sometimes cheap but not junk...,example: the remington 788.

·
Registered
363 Posts
there is also a saying folks are slow to change, and new tech
I'm one of those folks. I still prefer polished blued steel and walnut in rifles. I've never needed a rifle to be more weatherproof or invisible to game than I am.

the 770 should be still working fine in 100 yrs IF taken care of, just look back at some of the guns still about that were made with less than the best things, yet still survived the yrs, due to more ior less someone stored then and cared for them enought to make them last
A 770 would last forever if it were kept lightly oiled and never shot. That last bit is what would keep it from lasting forever. Anybody who shoots a rifle with any meaningful degree of volume is going to tend to view a barrel as a wear item that will need periodic replacement. The barrel on the 770 is NOT REPLACEABLE. It is press-fitted in to a non-stressed receiver. It was not made to last forever under enthusiast use. It was made to appeal to very casual hunters who don't venture far from home when they hunt and wouldn't be shooting the rifle a whole lot in the off season.

a Modern gun made today has all it needs to last a 100+ yrs if taken care of
Some do. A Savage 10/110 could last indefinitely under frequent use if one could find new barrels and bolt heads to replace as those items wear from heavy use. A 770 is not an heirloom piece in that sense and wasn't designed for high-volume use or repairability. So some don't have what they need to last 100 years. Some only have what they need to last a very casual user most of his or her lifetime on the assumption that this very causual user is more in to owning a gun than actually shooting one a whole lot.

an example of change is Computers
many fought them and were very slow to change, saying they would never last
yet now adays, few folks DON"T own one
same with cell phones
How is this analogous to whether or not the 770 is a total POS excuse of an enthusiast's rifle? Personal computers don't last indefinitely, by the way, and aren't really designed to.

sure there are guns tried and true,
BUT to be honest, even the new 700's are not the same guns as they once were
look at how many different one's they make and there price tags, the SPS's can be had many time a yr new with a scope and a hard case, for under 300
bucks at Cabela's
there a 700, but the metal work is c rude and on the cheap side, where the same 700 on there uppper price tag models are still 700's but have better finish on them
but even the bettter once are made differently than they were 40 yrs ago
as time goes by the change the way they build things, facts of life
I agree that a new Model 700 is not the same thing as a Model 700 of decades past. That's precisely why I wouldn't want one. I'd rather have a high condition 721, personally. That's as high was the build quality ever got with the Model 700 -which is, in essence, just a product-improved version of the former 721/722. The 721 / 722 was designed for assembly-line build, but was still very much a bench-built gun during its run and the first Model 700's were, too. They aren't now and haven't been for decades aside from Custom Shop models.

I am a rem 700 man too, have many custom guns built off there actions, and still my action I prefer
just saying, a number or model will never be teh same from the dam it came out to yrs down the road
every company is into the botom line, and cut corners from time to time, or use cheaper metal process or?? and from "X" yr to "X" yr, the same model can be a different animal!
Every company SHOULD be in to the bottom line or, more precisely, be in to doing whatever they do profitably. That doesn't mean they have to cut corners from time to time. There are still companies who make rifles with a minimum of corner-cutting but they don't come cheap and probably aren't going to be bought at Walmart. There is a big difference between a Kimber 84 and a Remington 770 that extends from how they are made and what they are made out of through who they are intended to appeal to and how they are marketed.

It isn't me being a crumudgeon that prevents me from seeing value in a 770. It is me being a 600 rounds of high-power centerfire a month minimum shooter that does. It cost me just as much to shoot my .30-'06 handloads through my Ruger No.1-B as would to shoot them through a craptastic 770 and that being the case, with ammo being as expensive as it is even if I load it myself, if I am going to spend what it costs for me to make those 600 rounds, I'm going to shoot them out of the rifle I really want and not some bargin-bin thing whose main appeal is its low, low price.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I've never handles or shot one but it's my understanding that they were made for Remington in Eastern Europe, ie, Serbia. Was supposed to be a better alternative to the 710 fiasco.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts