Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to hear from those that reload the Remington 405 grain jacketed bullets.

I'm looking for a load around the same as the factory Remington ammo which is 1330 fps I believe?

Reason for a low recoiling load? Total shoulder replacement and I need to take care of it. It wasn't cheap.:biggrin:

Please state your powder, brass, primer and barrel length. Did you chrony this load or going by a load table?

I have a good mix of powders and i'll try something I have. Then I have heard good things about RL7!:flute: Hmmm another powder?

Thanks all! Can't wait to hear from you!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I used 40 grains of Varget, Remington brass and primer. It is very easy on the shoulder and should be in the 1300 to 1400 fps area depending on barrel length. I shoot this load out of both my guide gun and my CB. It's equally good in both. The first picture is an average 100 yard group for the load out of my iron sighted CB. The second pic is at 200 yards with the same powder charge using my 405 grain Lee cast bullets.

45-70, 400gr, 40gr Varget.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bronco Archer no Varget but I may pic some up! It looks like it's works very well for you!

Glen Roamer the shoulder matches both my hips! I am the Bionic Man! LOL!

Scott I'm sitting on a huge pile of these Rem bullets which were designed for low velocity anyway!

I don't have any of the powders mentioned...yet.

I do have Unique, H322, H-4198, 2400, IMR-4227 and even some Lever E!

Keep it coming!

·
Registered
673 Posts
50 grains Varget over the 405 grain Remington. CCI Primers, WW Brass. I get right at 1425 fps per chronograph out of an 18.5 inch barrel 1895. One hole accuracy at 50 yards. This load is relative mild and works really well on hogs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
lever addict: I shoot a 1895 CB in 45-70, and have been for several years. I load 35 grs of IMR 3031 with a hard cast 405 GR LRNFP bullet at about 1200 fps I think, I don`t have a crony. I know you asked about 405 GR jacketed bullets, but I am having shoulder problems also. And I am able to shoot this load with out much discomfort. I use this load for just about everything and it works very well for me. About the farthest I have ever shot it, was at steel at 200 yds. And it worked well for me. I Cowboy Shoot and Pig & Deer Hunt with this load with out any problems. I don`t see why you could not use thoes 405 GR Jacketed bullets in stead of the 405 GR LRNFP bullets like I use. I am sorry to hear that You are haveing shoulder problems. I hope this helps You out.
ken

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
I hope you find the right load to match your New Shoulder. It is not easy, everyones tolerance to Recoil is different. Both of my shoulders have been operated on for rotator cuff problems. I have had to cut back on my shooting, I have also tamed my reloads, go slow you will find the right load to fit your shooting. Getting old is a *****, but it is better than the alternative, being on the right side of the grass is good. :biggrin:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Just a reminder - watch the OAL when loading the Remington 405's. If you seat/crimp in the wrong cannalure, the loaded rounds will be too long to cycle thru an 1895's action.
in my 1895 Cowboy, my 405 gr. jacketed bullet load is the Remington 405 gr. SP bullet, 36.5 grs. of Alliant Reloader #7 (RX 7) powder, Rem 9½ (LRP) primer, and with an OAL of 2.565" (this load was assembled in an annealed Starline case). Chronograph showed Velocity = 1,435 fps. It's a thumper! (at both ends!)
The Remington factory loads with the 405 gr. JSP chronoed at right at 1,200 fps. in my rifle.
Hope this helps.

Skyhunter

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gladesman another Varget load! My LGS has an 8 pounder on the shelf! Hmmm?

cpt-t Im sure I can use the jacketed for that load. If it's near max?? I could back off a bit, but I don't have that powder!

Reload I could use high power loads for hunting. Heavy clothes and a shot or two during the season if im lucky!
For shooting 40-60 rounds at the range for fun I'll keep it low. I just don't need the punishment.
This is my 4th 45-70 so I have shot many a heavy hitters!
The range load will be fine for whitetail im sure!:flute:
Not much a 405 grain hunk of lead cant do chugging along at 1350 fps!:biggrin:

Bearcat 2400 is a definite that I will be trying. Thanks!

Time to drag out the chrony!

·
Registered
95 Posts
lever addict; No 35 grs of IMR3031 is right at a starting load, with a 405 gr LRNFP bullet. Again I find this load very comfortable to shoot at Cowboy Action Shoots, and I find it just great to hunt with.
ken

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just loaded a batch of laser cast 405 with 12 grains unique ,Remington LR primers with Winchester brass. The shoot so nice I didn't flinch after the first shot. I had been shooting several other loads I was trying out. Was not liking many of them. Any way the 12 grained loads hit low on the back board. Destroyed the target supports but the group measured 6 inches at the widest point. The distance was 200 yards out of a 28 inch barrel. The rifle is a single shot pennsciati . Don't know how it will do with jacketed bullets. Good luck with the shoulder recovery.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I use 42 grains of Reloader 7 with the 405 CL for around 1500 fps. It is an accurate easy to shoot load in my Guide gun.

Reactions: lever addict

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Loaded the Rem 405 for my wife when she had a 2009 1895G. She shot the factory rounds and they were fine for her shoulder.

My duplication load was 33.8gr of IMR4198, WLRP, std coal. They chrono'd out a tad slower than factory at 1290fps but didn't require a sight change to 100yds.

She said my loads felt much better ad allowed her to be a bit more accurate with the softer recoil. Maybe IMR4198 has a slower, more gradual pressure curve. I don't think 40fps would be noticeable unless the powder had something to do with it.

I never tried them after she got sold on them so I have to take her word for it. FWIW, it was a blind test. I handed her the rounds and she had no idea which ones she was shooting.

Reactions: lever addict

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lever Addict, I bought an 8 lb can a while back. Varget is my go-to load for the 405 grain Rem. Actually, lately I shoot it mostly out of a Handy Rifle which is much lighter and has more recoil than the 1895. This is my hog gun.

I keep a lot of Varget on hand. The only load I am actually using it for right now is the Rem. 45-70 load. However, I can find a load that will work with this powder for almost every centerfire rifle I shoot. It may not be the absolute best load, but it will shoot hunting accuracy. Hard to beat in a pinch.

I cannot handle much recoil, but much of that is the individual gun. I have a 44 Mag Rossi lever action that I just cannot shoot with any reasonable load. It jars my whole upper body. I have had surgeries for three blown disk in my lower back. I also have blown disk in my neck. I have to be careful about how much recoil I expose myself to. I have to say the Rem./Varget load is easy to shoot in either gun. I do have a grind-to-fit Limbsavor pad on the Handy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts