Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to use this bullet for fun and for whitetails if the load works up well. The chief reason is for the "cheap" factor. I've heard on the old MT (which really is EMPTY) forum that the 300JHP's will shed the jacket if the velocity goes much above 1800fps. Is this true? Then I've read where some have used this with great success for wild boar. I'm not going bear hunting....just punching holes, cans, trees and deer. Maybe with lighter loads I can talk my son into shooting the guide gun?? :)

Perferator

G

·
Most of the origonal 45-70 type bullets were designed for the SAAMI pressures and speed.I think the Rem 300 would make a great Deer bullet.On Deer size game and for the price it would do just fine in my opinion.So if it does shed it's jacket at say 2100 fps on a Deer,more shock!!Same with the 405 Rem.It holds up supriseingly well to max pressures and if not used for Dangerous game,it works as the 300 should for Deer.

If I was just hunting Deer I would choose something like the 300 Rem or In my case it would be the 300 Speer Unicore or Hawk.

Just my opinion.Jayco.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx, Jayco. I'm looking forward to working up loads on the 300's this year. For deer, what could possibly go wrong if shot placement is proper? And half the price of the Hornady's!

Perferator

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi perferator -

I've shot only one deer w/300 gr, ~150# @ ~70 yds/1565mv.
Penetration was complete, so all I can say is it was lethal.

However I will note that I've taken quite a few with Sierra 6.5 & 7mm 140/150 BtSp., 2850ish mv, from 30-170 yds.
In each case, there was no exit, yet I was never able to find more than fragments, the largest ~43 gr of 150.
Always disappointed not to have a "perfect mushroom" to display, but then again, the deer were ALL "drop like a rock" kills, with no meat wastage to speak of, so the "failure" was internal.

Although ANY bullet can fail if driven fast enough (in mid-air, in extreme cases), the Rem300 should give quite satisfactory performance and be pleasant to shoot if kept in the 1600fps range, and I'd be very surprised if you shouldn't find an accurate load in that range.
The lo-vel load I settled on (45.5/3031/1565mv/28") shoots 1" consistently.

Haven't had occaision to try it, but I suspect even sub-sonic loads (mebbe w/tissue filler) could be accurate and gentle on tender young shoulders. :wink:

regards,

G

·
The 300 grain Remington Hollow Point gets pretty messy when
pushed to 2,000 feet per second, and used on deer under 75 yards.
Probably a good idea to keep the speed down some, in view of
what I've seen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts