Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no personal experience with it...but the question gets asked often enough, and I have seen lots of people say its good for high velocity with moderate pressure...I am curious, but no factory 40,000 CUP load data is available.

Load data please...powder charge, brass, primer, bullet, OAL, and muzzle velocity if you have a chrono...no estimates please.

Thank You :)

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
405 RN cast: 40gr R7, Federal match mag primer, WW or RP cases. 1700-1750fps
400 Speer FN: 45gr R7, Federal match mag primers, WW or RP cases, 1750fps

I increased the cast load to 42.5 and it got brutal on my arm.
Might be on or over the edge for a safe load

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Ridge I've used RL7 in my 45-70's almost exclusively for years, it is a great powder for this cartridge. I use WW cases and the Speer 400 grain soft point. Start at 45 grains as was suggested and let your ability to stand pain be your guide....grin. My load pushes the Speer 400 grain soft point over a chronograph an average of 1967fps for 3 shots. It kills on one end and maims on the other, nothing can stand up to this load, I carry it in griz country. I don't use that load for anything else, it's just too nasty to shoot....smile. I like the 330 grain gould hp for deer over a mild charge of 2400.

MM

·
Registered
194 Posts
I only use RL-7 for the 45-70 loads.

Pile-Driver 525 RL-7 40gr 1615fps Starline cases WLR primers COL 2.557

Hornady 350 FN RL-7 50.5gr 2010fps Starline cases WLR primers COL 2.550

This Velocity is from a 1895GS (18.5 inch barrel) at about 12 feet. Anyone thinking about using this data should start 10% lower and use a crono. The loads are above SAAMI listed for the 45-70 so would be +P.

Anyone listing loads/velocity should also list your barrel length used.

Domenic

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Domenic,

Those are moving right along :)

My kinda loads, and I agree...barrel length should be posted, Thank You for bringing it up!

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Sorry Ridge, I'm using a 22 inch barrel and speeds are 10 feet from the muzzle. I can't control the straight grip guns under recoil nearly as well as the pistol grip guns.

MM

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MontanaMan said:
Sorry Ridge, I'm using a 22 inch barrel and speeds are 10 feet from the muzzle. I can't control the straight grip guns under recoil nearly as well as the pistol grip guns.

MM
Not a problem...I shoulda mentioned it....your "bear stopper" is a thumper for sure! (on both ends)

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Ridge that load is plenty accurate too, 3 shots into 1 5/8 inches at 100 yards with the factory irons will do...smile.

MM

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Well, shooting "brand X" ;D ;D - RUGER #1 with RL7, my hunting load this past Fall was 55grs. behind a 355gr LBT/WFN boolit for a velocity of 2290FPS.

Recoil no big thing, very shootable.

I have installed a very nice - thick/soft - recoil pad, but the rifle with a 2X7 Leupold is still quite light.

When I first shot the rifle, with iron sights, it really beat my face, VERY PAINFUL!!!!!, but once the scope was installed and the higher eye/head position being used, the pain and suffering was a thing of the past.

Before I got the scope in place, I wondered what I had gotten myself into as the rifle was JUST NOT!!!!! FUN to shoot! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still looking for better groups, so have some other powder to test, but RL7 is the best I have seen to this point.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
12,374 Posts
I started using RE-7 with the Speer 400 gr bullet about ten years ago. It's listed in the Speer manual. Also later used it very successfully with the Remington 405 gr FNSP.

Good velocity and great accuracy is avail. The top loads listed by Speer are pretty stout - lots of fun hanging onto those from a Guide Gun or a standard 1895! ;D I shot the top level loads, then backed it down a couple of grains for my standard hunting loads.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Ridgerunner665 said:
...I am curious, but no factory 40,000 CUP load data is available.

Thank You :)
Sure there is, just not in CUP, but in PSI form.
Have you checked out Ranch Dog’s data for his bullets??

I have shot a good amount of RL 7
But lately, have moved to RL 10X for 350gr bullets, and will try it on 460-425’s once I get the mold.
In the last 2 yrs I’ve only burned 3#’s of 10X…I need to burn a few more #’s before I’d recommend it, but it is showing promise… :)

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
For target shooting I use :

Hornady 350gr FN # 4503

40.6gr RL-7

Starline cases

WLR primer

Gun : Marlin 1895 Guide Gun

Load is very accurate. Recoil on the milder side of things. I can easily go through 30 or 40 roiunds in one session without any ill effects.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a remarkable small bullet deer load for my GG. It is VERY accurate and the barnes TSX performs like big bullets!!!

250gr Barnes TSX
starline cases
54 grs RL7
2110 fps (chrony)
GM210M primers
1/2" group @50 (yep, on top of each other). Don't do 100 anymore with old eyes ::)
It's also made in 300 grs and both are made for larger game also. They open up BIG TIME.
and retain their weight. Shot two big bucks with it so far and they were DRT!!!
Won't be going back to heavy bullets unless I go to Africa!!!!!

Personal caution that THIS LOAD MAY BE above the max for YOUR gun.
Work up slowly!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to use RL7 in this caliber up until this summer. At work I get to blast as many hogs that I can. Yeah, I know hunting with a paycheck! But here's what happened. First few were plugged with Trail Boss loads......Then I built some real great stoppers with RL7. I had locked and loaded after I shot the hog, as is habbit. The new round was in the chamber for about 5 hours. The weapon was in an unzipped case in the back seat of my vehicle parked in the shade with windows down. When I got home to clean my weapon, the loaded round was removed from the chamber and the lead was coated with ozide. The brass case was dull and turning color. Worst was the bore was coated with light rust! This did not occur with the TB loaded ammo. Nor with those made with IMR 3031. Just with the RL7! An e-mail to Alliant about the problem was met with "How old was the powder?" Less than 3 months old. No further reply. I now no longer use RL7 because of problem. Just my two cents worth....

Wade

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wade, they probably didn't respond because they didn't want to insult you??? The problems you discribe did not happen due to the type of powder!!!

regards

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well it is wasn't hard to figure it was the powder. With the TB loads, within the same week, I had left a fresh round chambered in the same conditions and no oxidation appeared. Same with the 3031. But it sure did with the RL7. I looked at the date on the canister of powder and it was really only 3 months from the date of mfg. This was the first Alliant made RL7 I've used in years. My last was from Hercules and I never had a problem with powder from them. In fact, the Alliant made 2400 "ain't right" either in my loading as compared to the old Hercules made 2400....I now no longer uses any powder from Alliant anymore. Just don't trust 'em......

I am meticulous in my weapon's care and cleaning. The Guide Gun I have is a 2009 model and it looks like it just came off the shelf at the gun shop. Was a licensed gunsmith and ammo mfg. for years and always taken great pride in doing things the right way the first time. I have no other explaination as to how the bore rusted and the round in the chamber corroded in less than 5 hours.....

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Wade, this seems to me kinda strange.

I have been using RL-7 for all my .45-70 reloads and never seen anything like it.

I've been using Alliant powders for other calibers from 9mm Luger up to .45 Colt, and .308, and I like them lots. They burn clean in my guns, they don't leave any grains or flakes in the barrels, they just do their job.

Furthermore, they meter pretty good when I reload.

I don't want to sound right here as if I was writing the ad for Alliant powders, but I've been using them for years now, and I'll still do.

It is also not my point to discredit Wade or his statement. Some experience in the gun world are unique. I'm also not in any ways affiliated with Alliant powders nor am I getting any benefit from telling the above.

Pete

Team .45-70 Member #232

·
Registered
124 Posts
Folks, I know it was weird. I used to load tons of ammo for my police department and was also involved in producing custom loaded ammo for some real hotshots in Ft. Worth. Been using Hercules powders for decades. Never had a problem with loads using 2400 until the Alliant switch. RL7 was my most favorite powder for steady and reliable 45-70 loads for years. I loved the stuff!
But as the rather large amounts of Hercules powder was used up, I replaced it with the Alliant produced powder. SAME loads as before with 2400 in my 45-70.....scorched cases with huge ball of fire the size of a large beachball and a thundering BOOOOM that shook me off my feet. Same load as I always used....
Switch to the RL7 and a grey coating in the bore along with lots of umburnt powder. Cleaned weapon then 20 min. walking from my range to the shop. But the rusting and corroding of the loaded rounds, well that was the end for me.
Personally, I'm glad that folks are having no problems with the Alliant powder. Well, I am, and thus I'll stick with the IMR powders and such. I know that alot of you are trying to help, and I thank you one and all. I appreciate it. I have a very analytical approach to things. I keep detailed loading notes for all calibers and the results of all loads produced. Over the past 8 months, loads made with 2400 and with RL7 have contributed to failure in my loading. Loads with IMR powders have produced, and sometimes exceeded, the expected results. 25 years as a cop taught me many things about gathering the facts and then proving them when it came to question. I delt with the facts here and concluded the results in my case warranted a change. It's no big deal. I just changed powder mfg's that's all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts