Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have reloaded but I have a couple of questions on the 45-70

What die recommendations do you have?

I would like to go to a good hard cast lead bullet for deer (mostly) but with the
possibility of black bear and Elk.

What bullet, powder, and load would you recommend. I'm sure with all the reloading
some of you do, there are couple of loads that you've found that one or the others
seems to work in a lot of guns. I know the guy who built my rifle had reloaded for years
and had at least two different loads he recommended. In the three rifles (6-06, 6mm Ackely
Improved, and 17 Remington) he built for me, one of those recommended loads is what I'm using.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
A good hard cast is hard to beat. If you go hard cast I'd strongly recommend RCBS cowboy dies .

·
Registered
143 Posts
I myself Cast an alloy with a 15 bhn same as Lyman #2 alloy I use a PB NOE 460-405 mold Sized to .459 With 29 grains of 2400 under it 0r 38 grains of 4198 no where near the Max on either
Hope this Helps
DOGG!!!

Sorry about that I gave ya My 35 Remy data originaly

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Hi Tim
I and a lot of others here recommend highly the RCBS Cowboy dies! They are great and made specific for cast Boolits.
I'm not sure if you have it but the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is great, Especially if you can find/get the 3rd Version (?1980? iirc !? )

Lyman 49th Reloading book is good too.

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the RCBS Cowboy dies also,for cast and I have another set of Hornady New Dimention dies set up for jacket bullets.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I might be in the minority here, but I shoot jacketed bullets for hunting. I prefer a 300 grain JHP loaded at top end velocity. I like a flatter shooting load. Speers seem to hold together better than Remingtons. If you hit the shoulder or heavy bone, you will get a lot of meat damage. I use Re7. I will probably switch to H4198 but for now, I have over a pound of the Re7 that I will continue to load until it runs out. I have also used IMR4895. I can't quite match the speed of the Re7 loads but I use the IMR4895 in the M1 Garand and I thought I would try it in hopes of reducing the number of powders I use. I also developed loads with the 350 Speer FP and the Remington 405 JSP with Re7 as well. I just prefer the 300 jacketed bullet.
For general shooting (practice/range), it is hard to beat cast bullets. Also, a lot more available and cheaper than jacketed bullets.
I cast soft lead 405 hollow base for the Trapdoor and load them over 25 grains of SR4759. This is a BP duplicate load so it is real slow, but almost no recoil in the Marlins.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
203 Posts
Gas checked 460 grainers from grizzly cartridge. And the best powder for the 45-70 is H322 I don't care what anyone on here says. I use rcbs dies.
Oh come on now.Are you pulling my leg?:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Tim,

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

As you already see, there are lots of directions to go. They mostly get the job done, but some are better then others.

I am a long term handlaoder, but 5 - 6 years ago, when I began my 45/70 journey, I did find that I need to rethink some things.

No problem with using cast bullets, as I had cast for handguns for many years.

I do not recommend pushing the velocity as quite truthfully if long range hits are your desire there are simply much better cartridges to choose from.

I highly recommend a Cast Wide Flat Nose (WFN) bullet of over 400gr and have found them to be highly effective on deer and elk.

I did, early in my 45/70 uses, push the higher velocities and NEVER, EVER, want to see the size hole that a 355gr WFN cast with a muzzle velocity of just over 2300fps left in that first deer.

My 465gr WFN at 1650fps is awesome and deadly as proven in a number of deer and two elk. Does the job and leaves me something to put in the freezer.

Using 47.5gr of H335 behind the 465gr. which is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead alloy that is cold water quenched directly from the mold.

A good, over 400gr cast bullet with a big meplat will cover your needs for any reasonable uses of the 45/70.

Avoid such things as the Hornady FTX ammo. Yes, it will kill, but can and does create lots of meat loss with a poor hit. Plus Hornady had their head in the sand and designed the round with non-standard length brass.

As to dies, I have found my Hornady 3 die set to work very well for my cast bullet loading and providing you properly adjust a good three die set, you simply do not need a 4th die such as the Lee "Factory Crimp Die" (FCD).

Should you feel the real need to waste money for that fourth die, be sure and get the Lee die with the adjustable collets
AND NOT their FCD with the carbide sizing ring at the mouth of the die.

Makes no sense to go to the effort of properly sizing your cast bullets to your barrel and then have that hooky die mess things up.

I read good things about the collet die, but my personal experience with the carbide ring type was very poor and troublesome!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I use the Redding die set and it works very well. I'm still experimenting with powders, but I've loaded 4198, 3031, 335, and Re7. They all go bang, but I haven't really settled on a favorite or even a favorite load with a particular powder. Far too much fun experimenting at this point. I have a load of Beartooth 525 WFN gas checks on the way, but have loaded mostly 405 gr Lazercast so far. They ring the steel very well.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Tim,

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

As you already see, there are lots of directions to go. They mostly get the job done, but some are better then others.

I am a long term handlaoder, but 5 - 6 years ago, when I began my 45/70 journey, I did find that I need to rethink some things.

No problem with using cast bullets, as I had cast for handguns for many years.

I do not recommend pushing the velocity as quite truthfully if long range hits are your desire there are simply much better cartridges to choose from.

I highly recommend a Cast Wide Flat Nose (WFN) bullet of over 400gr and have found them to be highly effective on deer and elk.

I did, early in my 45/70 uses, push the higher velocities and NEVER, EVER, want to see the size hole that a 355gr WFN cast with a muzzle velocity of just over 2300fps left in that first deer.

My 465gr WFN at 1650fps is awesome and deadly as proven in a number of deer and two elk. Does the job and leaves me something to put in the freezer.

Using 47.5gr of H335 behind the 465gr. which is cast of a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead alloy that is cold water quenched directly from the mold.

A good, over 400gr cast bullet with a big meplat will cover your needs for any reasonable uses of the 45/70.

Avoid such things as the Hornady FTX ammo. Yes, it will kill, but can and does create lots of meat loss with a poor hit. Plus Hornady had their head in the sand and designed the round with non-standard length brass.

As to dies, I have found my Hornady 3 die set to work very well for my cast bullet loading and providing you properly adjust a good three die set, you simply do not need a 4th die such as the Lee "Factory Crimp Die" (FCD).

Should you feel the real need to waste money for that forth die, be sure and get the Lee die with the adjustable collets
AND NOT their FCD with the carbide sizing ring at the mouth of the die.

Makes no sense to go to the effort of properly sizing your cast bullets to your barrel and then have that hooky die mess things up.

I read good things about the collet die, but my personal experience with the carbide ring type was very poor and troublesome!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Excellent advice, I could not agree more. Listen to those with actual experience, Guns and Ammo or Shooting Times "experience" don't mean much.

JB

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Redding dies and bullets from 300gr to 550gr. Hey, I love to play with the 45-70. Shooting various size bullets is just plain fun. For deer I would probably stay with my 350gr FP jacketed bullet from either Hornady or Swift A-Frame bullets. For bear I would use my 425gr Pile Drivers from Beartooth Bullets.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
I cast 405 and 355 grain for the 45-70 and have some 430 grain from Doc that are wonderful. My Guide gun likes them all. I use Lee dies and they work fine. But to be honest the only time I ever deer hunted with it I used the Hornady LE and it worked amazing. Bang Flop. I can see how it might waste meat. I hope to use the cast on hogs soon.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I have regular RCBS dies and they work fine but get the cowboy set if you find it. My favorite load is 40gr of imr 3031 with a 405gr bullet sized to .460
Nearly identical setup... Preliminary results look like mine is going to like 38.5 grns of 3031. Same bullet dimensions, mine is the Lee HB, cast of WWs.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I have a set of RCBS dies, just never use them.
I prefer to be one with my inner cavalry soldier and use this
(was in the 11th ACR for awhile)

My load for everything on the planet:

430gr Ranch Dog FNGC (NOE makes the mold now)
42gr Reloader 7
CCI BR primer
.030 veggie wad over the powder, dacron filler between the wad & boolit

I have a slug of other molds, just do not have the massive knock down of the Ranch Dog
Them critters dont wibble, or wobble, they just fall down

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey Pard,

What are those jacketed bullets doing on your "work bench"? I was impressed with your process....until I spotted those jacketed bullets. .:biggrin: Still, it's an interesting video, thanks for showing it.

JB

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.