Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard that there are those out there that load this mold for there 44 magnum.
i have waited a long time for this bullet mold and i want drive them out of my ruger redhawk.
to me this is the perfect mold for my 44 mag!!!
PLEASE if there is any one that loads these for there 44/redhawks can you please tell me all about it.
is there any tricks(advice you could offer). i am considering soft tips. i went thru the 13 pages of this section
and could not find any information. i have been following elmer keith since he was hatless in the east and i respect his bullets
but elmer never seen these bullets.
i hope this will be a long thread

·
Registered
661 Posts
I load the Lyman 429244 GCSWC (265g from WW) over 22g W296/H110 with a WLP.

It shoots @ 1800fps from the 1894.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
cold bore, :)

The RD 432-265 is a great bullet for the 44Mag. I do not have a Redhawk, but I shoot it in my 4” S&W 629 …Works real well…

If you go to Ranch Dog’s site – he has many loads for the 432-265 in 44mag..

I’m loading – 21.5grs of WW296…This gives me 1250fps. It’s a good accurate load that’s not too bad on my wrist and still fun to shoot…Hits hard too… :)

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
If you hurry, you might be able to get a similar bullet from Stone Fence (he's in the Industry Partners Section of this forum) as I did, he said that diameter was about all he had left. I can't swear it's the same (Lyman) version you seek, but I just ordered (and quickly received) a batch of 1,000 from Robert a week ago, they're 245 grains, a wide-nosed flatpoint version that are sized to .432". If you're interested, drop him a line. He makes good stuff. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I'm shooting this bullet from a S&W 29, a Ruger SB, a Marlin 1894 and several .444's. It is superbly accurate and very hard hitting. In the .44 Magnum's I load 18.5 gr for about 1250 fps in a 6" HG. In the carbine it reaches 1650 fps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are you guys resizing the bullets? i slugged all my redhawks and there are .431

tony what powder are you using the 18.5 grains with ?

when i went to rd's site i found the rifle data but didn't find any for the handgun.
are you guys using rd's sizer? i think he wrote some where about using his instead of lee's something about resizing
the bullet to small.
can i ask what dies you guys are using?
are you using alox, if so where can i get it cheap?
if i remember correctly rd had a forum when he started it he had a great place to get alox. but, that computer i had it on poop the bed.thank you everybody

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
cold bore said:
are you guys resizing the bullets? i slugged all my redhawks and there are .431

tony what powder are you using the 18.5 grains with ?

when i went to rd's site i found the rifle data but didn't find any for the handgun.
are you guys using rd's sizer? i think he wrote some where about using his instead of lee's something about resizing
the bullet to small.
can i ask what dies you guys are using?
are you using alox, if so where can i get it cheap?
if i remember correctly rd had a forum when he started it he had a great place to get alox. but, that computer i had it on poop the bed.thank you everybody
OK, lots of questions, one at a time.

1. Yes, I resize.

2. Alliant 2400

3. I use Ranch Dog's .432" sizer. If I want to run them through my lubrisizer I size through RD's .432" and then lube in a Lyman .434" The bullet never touches the .434" die.

4. I use a number of different dies. For the money, I think Lee is the best vale but they all work well.

5. White Label Lubes http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/liquid-x.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
I bought the two cavity; liked it so much I bought the six cavity; liked them so much that I bought the NOE lube groove clone in plain base over at castboolits to use in lower end loads in my VAQUEROS.

The discount ALOX is XLOX from White Label Lubes...site at the bottom of the page over at castboolits or on eBay.

For the tumble lube boolits and XLOX, I use the tutorial from RANCH DOG in the stickies in this section. I size to .432 for three different 44 Cowboy Rifles. I also use conventional lube in my STAR lubricator/sizer. The gas checked boolits with XLOX will remove lead from my pistol barrels...super clean after six rounds. I don't know if it is the XLOX or the gas check, but it works.

Being a 62 year old wimp, I like anywhere from 6.5 to 8.0 of either HP38 (231) or TITEGROUP in my generic loads for pistols and Cowboy Action Shooting. I have not done much development for rifle specific loads, but the various handloading sites and manufacturers sites like HODGDON or ALLIANT would have data. (2400 has a wider velocity range than 296/H110.) Other resources are lasc.us for Glenn Fryxell's various articles and castboolits.gunloads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts