Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1893 .32-40 Octagon 26in barrel, shipped on the 13th Feb 1903, as i have a letter from the Cody firearms museum Letter, it has the Special Smokeless Steel barrel

My question is Surely the .32-40 can be reloaded the same as the .32 winchester special

Both Rifles have the same twist rate 1in 16,both have the same action,both have the same case capacity 40 grns black powder,and both fire a .321 bullet

the only difference is the chambering,so surely you can reload the same as the Hornady leverevolution ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifml8VkFfck&feature=related

Cheers Bernie

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
2 things to watch on your .32-40 is one, the groove diameter. Make sure if it is .318 or .321 just so you know. .318s exist. Second, you probably know, the .32-40 has longer brass and using the cannelure on .32SPL projectiles will usually make a cartridge that is too long for the action. Just seat them deeper to get the correct over all cartrige length. I do not know where the new Flex-Tip projectile will fit in with all of this. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
The problem with seating bullets deeper is that the crimping groove is in the wrong place.You would have to use a crimp groove tool or cut your brass a little shorter.Also I dont like to load these old rifles hot.They are valueable and well.....old.I load my 32-40 to about 1850-1900 fps area.If I need to I'll grab one of my other Marlins for more power.I use the Speer 170 gr in mine.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Bernie - I have to go along with Levergunz concerning your questions about your 1893 32-40. The old girl has earned her retirement. You wouldn't enter your grandmother in a 100 yard dash would you? The rifle has many years of enjoyable shooting left if shot in moderation. There are too many new "hot rod" guns available if you want magnum performance from a lever action. Load the old girl moderately and enjoy the results for years to come. Shenandoah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts