Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to reloading and I am going to set up a room to do it in my basement. I have 2 possible options. 1 is in the utility room where my furnace is which isn't ideal but it would work and the other is in a small room that would be perfect for it cause it has a door that can lock and it just looks like it wants to be in there. Here's the problem, the small room is right under my kids bedroom. Is there any possibility that a round could go off during a reloading session or are they designed so this cant happen. I suppose if I did not put the case in right something could go wrong but has anyone heard of this happening? I don't want to be that freak story you see on the news and say what was he thinking.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you were to have a round go off, the kids would be safe, but you may need medical attention. Without the chamber to hold the case together, the casing becomes a mini hand grenade.

Now saying that, I doubt you could ever have a loaded round go off during the loading process. I'd be more worried about the environmental conditions of the room you plan on using. Powder and primers HATE damp climates. Unless you plan on running a dehumidifier, or live in a dry climate, the basement may not be the best place to set up a reloading room. An unused bedroom, storage room [out of the basement], or corner of the garage would be a better place to set-up your bench. All you need is about 4' of bench, and a cabinat that can be locked.

·
Premium Member
3,477 Posts
I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as an unchambered cartridge. Unconfined powder just burns, it doesn't explode (like you see on TV!) and there is nothing to guide the bullet and give it velocity. That is not to say there won't be some fire... :eek:

As dmsbandit mentioned, if you don't like rusty tools, make sure the humidity is controlled.

I would not put your reloading stuff in the room with the furnace...

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Small room under your kid's bedroom sounds best to me.

Basements sometimes get pretty damp. You'll want to figure a way to keep the reloading room at a decently low humidity.

My loading room is a great place to get away from everybody, and relax with my hunting & outdoor "stuff."

Guy

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Use the largest space available. You can load in A closet but you will soon apreciate any extra space you can get. Reloading setups tend to grow.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Guy, where did you find your bench. Putting my stuff togther now. Was gonna build a bench but yours looks pretty nice. Thanks.

·
Registered
32,303 Posts
Nice set up M700. I have to agree whole heartedly with Gateskinner. I started with a bench inside of a wardrobe (closet in US funds) and it did not take all that long to have to make one of two choices, either extend the closet or use a small room (I now use a 8'X10') to load in.

·
Super Moderator
19,139 Posts
M700
There's evidence to me in your pictures that suggest you have a lot of stuff in them drawers. ;D
I think I see a lot of die's. So I want the readers to know that just like me you have been saving money quite a while.
some day I may have to post a picture. But your play area is picture perfect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts