Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on loading 420 grain hard cast gas check bullets for my 1895 Cowboy chambered in 45/70. It seems that through Internet searches IMR 3031 is the powder of choice. Does anyone have load data that has proved to be a good shooter in their firearm?

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I got better groups with IMR4895 & Reloader 7.
The 4895 needs a hard crimp or you get chunks in the barrel.
Reloader 7, 42grs is my standard load

Remember kids, I load my modern powders just like holy black.
Powder, veggie wad, filler, boolit

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
I'm looking for some advice on loading 420 grain hard cast gas check bullets for my 1895 Cowboy chambered in 45/70. It seems that through Internet searches IMR 3031 is the powder of choice. Does anyone have load data that has proved to be a good shooter in their firearm?
Hey Q,

Either of the 4198's, Rx7, either of the 3031's, H 322, or H 335, should "fill the bill".

As to how much of which powder shoots "best" in your rifle, well that is why we reload. LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: Jonny V

·
Registered
953 Posts
I shoot the Ranch Dog 425gr gas checked bullet over 46.0 gr of H322 out of Starline brass and CCI standard primers. I get my information right from Ranch Dog's website.
I don't use wads or fillers. If you need those you are not using the right powder or not enough. Just my opinion.

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/TLC460425RF/data/loadnotes01.pdf

Key

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yup, IMR-3031 is a good choice for the 45-70 and a 420gr boolit!!! 42 to 46gr and you should be happy happy happy
the 3031 loads I have are more accurate then my H322 loads (slightly...)

Doc

·
Registered
17 Posts
I realize my experience is in the minority, so much so that when I stated the following on another forum I was told more than once that I must be doing something wrong.

I cannot achieve even *acceptable* accuracy using Reloader 7 in loads for either of my two rifles in 45-70 (Handi-Rifle and Marlin 1895 Ltd 3). The former has been my go-to deer rifle since the day Mississippi changed its "primitive weapon" law to include that caliber in single-shot, breach loading rifles. It worked so well for my style of whitetail hunting (still-hunting/stalking river bottoms and thick woods) that I started using it exclusively - primitive weapon season and all the rifle seasons. All my wonderful, beautiful, super-accurate bolt guns stayed in the gun cabinet, except for a few occasions when I went as a guest to places where the 45-70 simply isn't a good fit. My point is, the 45-70 is close to my heart, and I've put tremendous effort into making the absolute best hunting bullet I can. And I tried hard to find a place for Reloader 7, but I just can't. In my guns it performs like a powder completely ill-suited to the task. I've tried several bullets design and weights (no cast bullets, by the way, which is another matter altogether), as well as various charges and OAL. "Good" results for me using RL-7 are 2" groups, and most are 3" or even larger.

OTOH, IMR3031 acts like it was made for my guns (and that includes my 30-06s). It doesn't appear to be exceptionally efficient; oftentimes there are un-burned granules of powder in the just-fired case. But, man, is it accurate! I really like 3031.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
3031 is what I use in all of my 45-70s. 405 Remington soft point and 46 gr of 3031 for my sharps, and 50 gr for my 1895. With the 1895 I am 1 inch high at 50 yards, 3 inches high at 100 yards and dead on at 150 yards. I have never even had the urge to try any other powder as these are very accurate in my rifles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.