Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

has anybody used Accurate 5744 in a 45-70? I'd like to know whether it's sensible to try it out. I use N130, and it's my first powder I use for reloading. It performs quite well, but maybe there' s a better powder out there? E.g. 5744...
What do you think?

Tom

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
So far all I've ever burnt in the 45-70 is TrailBoss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know this link. This is where I got my reloading data for N130. It is good and safe, but maybe there's a powder around that burns a little cleaner, doesn't heat up the barrel etc. Reloading means testing, trying, at least for me. I won't stick with one powder which happens to be good running in my rifle,because there could be a powder that runs a little bit better.

TrailBoss ain't available here

·
Super Moderator
9,280 Posts
I have some 5744 but haven't used it yet. Bought it based on all the lever gun loads Mike Venturino uses it in when Unique was so hard to find. It appears to be about as universal as Unique for black powder era cartridges.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
What's your velocity goal and bullet weight?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's your velocity goal and bullet weight?
I use 2 types of bullets:
500 grn lead bullet for fun and target shooting, velocity ain't critical
350 grn. Hornady Interlock #4502 for hunting, velocity maximum available

The target shooting is more important at the moment

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
For the 350 I would use H322. For accuracy I found Varget very good but it is dirty.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
5744 is my go-to powder for my 45-70; I use 30 gr under a 405 gr cast bullet, which gives me velocities in the low 14's according to the folks at Accurate. What I like about 5744 is it's bulk. It does a great job of filling up the monstrous 45-70 case. Now, 5744 is known for leaving unburnt powder in the bore, so don't be concerned if you have some in yours. It has no effect on accuracy & wipes right out.
GH1:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I want to avoid: unburned powder. This is a problem of N130 too. Don't know whether it affects accuracy, but as I wrote it's my first powder since I began my reloading career

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
With a straight neck case that large running at low pressures it is very hard not to get unburned powder. You would probably have better luck going to a faster power like Reloder 7.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The XMP and Accurate 5744 powders work very well with cast bullets. I bought my first lead bullets (300gr) from Oregon Trail 12 or 13 years ago and called them for load info because my load books did not list the 300gr. They gave me a load range for XMP 5744 and it worked fine. If you will look in the Lyman's 48th you see 5744 as a suggestion on almost all lead bullet loads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts