Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all have a reloading ? is there a different die set you must use when decapping and reshaping the 444lever evolution? reason i am asking is i just tried to use my rcbs die set and now the case is stuck in die. case was lubed well felt a little hard when i ran the case up in to the decapper help thanks in advance:dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
23,569 Posts
I know that Ranger Point Precision used to customize a special shorter Lee crimping die for FTX reloading. I think you can use the regular set for everything else. I don't reload the FTX bullets for my Triple-4s--hopefully someone who reloads FTX bullets will see this thread.

·
Registered
540 Posts
...decapping and reshaping .444 Leverevo. can be done without big troubles with Lee dies and Imperial Wax_ _ with my Lee, the worst will come when you try to flare the mouth, Universal Xpander or not, and insert anything larger than .429, in my case. I even tried to help myself with .44 mag. dies, but every time it's like playing roulette.
if shipping delays continue for my Redding, I will try to get Hornady...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info on the lee set i may just have to get the lee for now. thanks again dch.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the depriming/resizing die should be made to the cartridge dimensions.
the leverevolution brass is shorter in length and identical in diameter to the " standard " cartridge case.
your case could be stuck due to being overlubed, corrosion inside the die or the die being set too deeply in the press.
time to get a stuck case remover.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
No special die is needed for sizing or decapping LVR brass.
A shorter crimp die is necessary, but that's it.

What you likely have done is stuck a case due to inadequate, inappropriate, or incompatible lube (lubing the case with something that didn't get along with the preservative in the new die); or had a loose decapping stem that missed the flash hole, got bent over inside the case by use of excessive force, and is now wedging the case in the die.

There's a small chance that the die was bad. But I've never had an RCBS die that was that bad, out of the box. I've seen plenty of Lee dies that were absolute garbage, right out of the box, but not RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, Bair, etc.

What did you use for lube?
Were you using the correct shell holder?

Reactions: 35 shooter

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rcb 2 resizing lube #18 rcbs shell holder. According to the rcbs shell holder book this was the the wrong holder this was for a 44 mag the one i should have been using was a#28 for the 444 shell holder. wrong shell holder may have been the the cause for the stuck case not sure or maybe some thing else?

·
Registered
540 Posts
wrong shell holder ?
...no: as exemple,#11 Lee shellholder is the same for .44mag as for .444marlin, as per Lee chart and as in my leverevol.(?)experience_

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
wrong shell holder ?
...no: as exemple,#11 Lee shellholder is the same for .44mag as for .444marlin, as per Lee chart and as in my leverevol.(?)experience_
Lee shell holders have really sloppy tolerances in order to be "okay" for multiple cartridges, where other manufacturers actually care about making a good product and tolerance for a specific cartridge, so the shell holder is "right" instead of just "okay". This is why Lee only has something like 21 shell holders in their catalog, while RCBS and Hornady have in excess of 50 each (not including the special purpose ones).

I have gotten more perfectly good used dies from people that stuck a case while using a Lee shell holder that slipped off the stubborn case, than any via any other means. With only ONE exception, every one of the cases was easily removed by tapping the screwed up case head and rim back into shape, sliding an RCBS, Redding, Lyman, or Hornady shell holder over the damaged case head, and carefully lifting the press handle. (The exception was a moron that drilled a .223 Rem primer pocket out and thought he would "fill the case with solder and all-thread" and pull the case out. All he did was solder the case to the die body. I sent it to RCBS with a $5 check. They sent me a new die. ....I bought three sets of dies from the guy that day. All had stuck cases. All were stuck on Lee equipment with Lee shell holders or shell plates.)

If you want good shell holders, don't buy Lee. They're the sloppiest, loosest option on the market. "Jack of all trades, master of none."
Pretty much any other brand is good. If you want better, the most dimensionally consistent and in-spec shell holders are Hornady, followed closely by Redding and Forster.

As far as the RCBS shell holders go, the .44 Mag shell holder should be fine, as long as the .444 Marlin cases will slide into it freely and fully.
.444 Marlin has a larger base diameter and slightly different extractor groove dimensions that could, potentially, cause an off-center condition in a .44 Mag shell holder, depending upon how well each manufacturer stuck to SAAMI specifications.
An off-center condition is unlikely to stick a case. But it could very easily be a contributing factor to a decapping pin striking the case web and getting bent and jammed.

Reactions: wilecoyote

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got the casing out of the die today. pulled decaping rodcaseshell out of die rod and pin looked ok cleaned everthing reinstalled rod tried again same problem shell doe,s not want to go in to the die. i reload with rcbs for other cals and have no problems, Time to try a different company for 444 the rcbs are not what they use to be.

·
Registered
540 Posts
ok. about Lee everyone has already said his, I ordered Hornady here, now, because who knows when my Redding will come from there_
we'll see who quits first

·
Premium Member
18,003 Posts
Say what you want about Lee dies, I've never had a bad one in 35 years and a boatload of calibers.

The ONLY bad dies I ever bought were RCBS, not one but two sets. Everyone's mileage is a little bit different! :bandit:

·
Registered
540 Posts
...my worst Lee set has been this last .444_ before that, never had problems with Lee dies or shellholders, even more considering their low price_
I've learned to stay away from RCBS dies years ago, but, again, maybe it's me.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Well got the casing out of the die today. pulled decaping rodcaseshell out of die rod and pin looked ok cleaned everthing reinstalled rod tried again same problem shell doe,s not want to go in to the die. i reload with rcbs for other cals and have no problems, Time to try a different company for 444 the rcbs are not what they use to be.
I would try another shell holder first.
But it's your money.

What's the part number on the box for the die set?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The part # is 20704 3 die set .444 marlin all 3 dies are marked on top 444 Marlin rcbs ??:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Same as always.
I was wondering if perhaps RCBS changed something, which would lead to a new part number.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts