Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Well, It looks like you are off to a great start!!! I use Winchester and CCI primers and have never had any issues...

Good choice of powder as well.

Doc

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your going to have fun ! Good powder choice, I use 38.5 grains for my multi shoot load with 405 hard cast and I have had very tight groups with mag. primers, I know standard will do but that load shoots so nice I'm not going to mess with that.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Class? What is this class of which you speak?

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
If you are familiar with Sportsmans Warehouse they offer beginning and advanced reloading classes, for free. At least they do here in Colorado.
Neat idea. Never heard of such. Learned it old school myself. Books, articles, and doing it the hard way. Started with a nail, a board, a dowel and a mallet. That was about 30 years ago. If the ammo went bang and you didn't blow yourself up you were considered successful! Groups were secondary. We've come a long way!

·
Registered
726 Posts
Unless Winchester make better rifle primers i would never buy Winchester. Large Pistol primers I have had over 50 not go off in out of a 1k box. I check evry rifle and pistol charge with a lee perfect powder measure and every charge gets weighed. I use only Remington or CCI primers now

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
So I finally took a reloading class! I plan to take these View attachment 113707
Back them with this View attachment 113708
Insert into these View attachment 113709
to make a bunch of this View attachment 113710 ! Just have to decide which primers to use and will have details when done!
I would recommend a New" Lyman reloading manual , so you will understand the difference in primer's , along with a 100's of other thing about reloading your on ammo , and use of the equipment ....

Magnum

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Got a friend that went to a reloading class and came home and sold all his reloading equipment with out ever setting it up. Never figured out why.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Unless Winchester make better rifle primers i would never buy Winchester. Large Pistol primers I have had over 50 not go off in out of a 1k box. I check evry rifle and pistol charge with a lee perfect powder measure and every charge gets weighed. I use only Remington or CCI primers now
We're half way thru a case of 10,000 Winchester Large Pistol primers and haven't had one FTF loading 45 ACP with a Dillon 550. Case was purchased late last year. Now I'll go out tomorrow and have multiple failures.:hmmmm2::vollkommenauf::hmmmm2:

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Be careful with mag primers and max loads. One powder company reports a difference in pressure over standard primers to be as much as 13,000 PSI. That is enough to wreck your rifle with continued use. The reloading manuals list the primers along with other components. Follow the manuals.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Welcome to the reloading madness, it's as bad as Marlinitis. When reloading go with the primers stated in the reloading manuals, if they specify standard primers use them, if magnum are specified then use them. Reloading is fun and easy, BUT follow the reloading manuals, the loads were developed and tested by professionals! They have been tested for pressure, too much pressure and you can disassemble a fine firearm without the benefit of a gunsmith's services. Take care, John.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Looks like you have a running start at this hobby. Not sure what kind of bullets you have but appear to be Speer 400 gr. do your research but the most accurate load I have found with this combination is the elmer keith load of 53 gr 3031 over speer 400gr projectile. I use winchester Large Rifle primers and have been satisifed with those and have not had any FTF in hundreds of loads. This load is on the heavy side so expect a bit of recoil with this load but I can get 1" groups at 125 yds, some were close to the same hole.

Enjoy the new hobby and we are waiting to hear how it went so a range report is anticipated.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like you have a running start at this hobby. Not sure what kind of bullets you have but appear to be Speer 400 gr. do your research but the most accurate load I have found with this combination is the elmer keith load of 53 gr 3031 over speer 400gr projectile. I use winchester Large Rifle primers and have been satisifed with those and have not had any FTF in hundreds of loads. This load is on the heavy side so expect a bit of recoil with this load but I can get 1" groups at 125 yds, some were close to the same hole.

Enjoy the new hobby and we are waiting to hear how it went so a range report is anticipated.
Actually that happens to be one of my bucket-o-Remmington 405 grain bullets(scored a few thousand from midway a few months back)!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Great combo you got there. Any manual will have good data from mild to wild for you. My go to is 40gr of 3031 under a 350 to 500gr cast bullet.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
WLP primers are harder than most. They are not for guns with a lightened mainspring that is for sure. I have had no problem with 1911s but tuned revolvers are a no go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts