Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,063 Posts
I have one more question if you don’t mind guys. Is there any danger of “detonation” using these light loads in a 30-30 case? I know some people say this is a possible issue, and others say there is no such thing. Regardless, some powders are more position sensitive than others. Would using less than a half case full of Unique, 2400, or IMR4227 pose any problems in a light 30-30 load?

We actually have a 32 page thread on just this topic. Click where it says "Lighter Bullets in 30-30".

With that being said, anyone that knows me, knows I shoot a lot of cast boolits, especially out of 30 calibers. For that reason, I keep a lot of non-position sensitive powders around that fill up a case at least half way, and don't need a filler. 2400, Accurate 5744, Unique, Red Dot, Blue Dot, RL7. If you stick with these powders, there isn't much you can't load in a reduced manner. Ed Harris also has some great literature as well as load data on this as well. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to help any further. Lightest I've gone in my thutty-thutty's is 165gr but the lee soup can bullet, which is close to a 30 carbine bullet, is on my list.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, my two favorite loads that I’ve found so far for 110 gr jacketed bullets in 30-30 are 15.5 gr IMR 4227 (supposedly from Hodgdon #25) @ 1850 FPS, and 12 gr Unique (from Sharpe 1937) @ 1850 FPS.

We actually have a 32 page thread on just this topic. Click where it says "Lighter Bullets in 30-30".
I intend to check that out as soon as I finish this post. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You will find hours of good reading in that thread. Take lots of notes and always be careful

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
I have a 1972 Marlin 336 that I usually load with MBC #4 Whitetail coated bullets, but I want to load some light loads. I have a bunch of Hornady 100 gr Short Jackets and 110 gr RNSP that I use to load for my M1 Carbine. Now here’s my question. Will the shortened overall length (2.435“ and 2.490” respectively) using these bullets have an adverse effect on feeding from the tube? I’ve run into that problem with my Henry .357 mag using .38 Special, but it has a removable inner magazine tube. I don’t want to jam some cartridges and have to disassemble the rifle because they might be too short and not feed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mr Fred,

Good choice. There is also a Jacket HP and Berry's plated bullet for more 110gr options. I have shot all. For the money, I landed on the Berry's plated 110 gr. No feeding issues with any combination. The most accurate formula for my rifle.

Unique 10.2 gr. CCI-200 primer, bell the case mouth like you are loading cast bullets and finish with a taper crimp, not roll crimp, on the plated bullet.

Very light recoil and the above combo should give you 1,600-1,700 fps depending on barrel length.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
5DE3C58F-5A27-455A-9BB5-C5397564F376.jpeg

I found this by accident looking for a good image to put on my “Miniature” ammo boxes. It was in a discussion about Savage headstamps instead of .30 WCF on 30-30 cartridges. I thought I’d share the picture. I don’t know what book it is from, but it talks about Unique powder charges of Short Range and Miniature cartridges by Marlin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
How about 15-16 grs of 2400 under a speer 110gr hp?
I’ve been planning to load some of those when I get more 2400. I had found the data in Sharpe, 1937. With old data like this I’d be hesitant to load at the top end, so your suggestion is right in line with what I found. Thanks.
FCCDA44D-B07D-48B5-A0B2-ED99E39AC636.jpeg

·
Registered
141 Posts
I’ve been planning to load some of those when I get more 2400. I had found the data in Sharpe, 1937. With old data like this I’d be hesitant to load at the top end, so your suggestion is right in line with what I found. Thanks.
View attachment 821739
I loaded up 20 rds of 15gr 2400/ 110 Speer hp yesterday @ 2.340, crimped with Lee crimp die.
My groups @ 50yds were around an inch and 6" low and 2" left which I find normal in a 336.
Reset my Williams peep and still had 10rds to play with.
This is a very nice shooting round, it's possible to double charge so you have to pay attention, I looked inside every case when done dropping the powder. This is a keeper. I found old reference of going up to 21 grains of 2400 with heavier lead bullets, I think I could go to 17-18grs pretty easy if I was careful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I loaded up 20 rds of 15gr 2400/ 110 Speer hp yesterday @ 2.340, crimped with Lee crimp die.
My groups @ 50yds were around an inch and 6" low and 2" left which I find normal in a 336.
Reset my Williams peep and still had 10rds to play with.
This is a very nice shooting round, it's possible to double charge so you have to pay attention, I looked inside every case when done dropping the powder. This is a keeper. I found old reference of going up to 21 grains of 2400 with heavier lead bullets, I think I could go to 17-18grs pretty easy if I was careful.
That’s about what I was going to try next. I’m glad to know they worked out that good.

I give all mine a second look as well. With the small amount of powder in the 30-30 cases, I have to use a small flashlight sometimes to see down into the cases.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That’s about what I was going to try next. I’m glad to know they worked out that good.

I give all mine a second look as well. With the small amount of powder in the 30-30 cases, I have to use a small flashlight sometimes to see down into the cases.
Just set em in a tray faceup, then after charging em and tiny little flashlight is all you need to take a gander at a bunch. I want to try the 100gr half jackets at around 2000fps or so, I hear they shoot pretty good with around 18grs of 2400..

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
Going the opposite way to gallery loads, I've shot 71 grain .32 Auto FMJ bullets over 9 or 10 grains of Unique. I put a small wad of cotton on top of the powder to keep it by the primer. Never stuck a cotton ball in the barrel, but I always checked. May not feed from magazine. but they are dandy tin can shooters, loaded single shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Going the opposite way to gallery loads, I've shot 71 grain .32 Auto FMJ bullets over 9 or 10 grains of Unique. I put a small wad of cotton on top of the powder to keep it by the primer. Never stuck a cotton ball in the barrel, but I always checked. May not feed from magazine. but they are dandy tin can shooters, loaded single shot.
Thanks. I may try some. I tried some 86 gr Hornady .30 Mauser SP bullets a couple days ago over 8 grains of Unique. They were real popgun loads, but shot true to aim at 40 feet. I may have to check on some kind of filler.

·
Super Moderator
4,933 Posts
why do you need filler with Unique?

jd

·
Registered
14,089 Posts
why do you need filler with Unique?
jd
You don't.
You may not, but I did it to keep all the powder near the primer. It was a small ball of cotton, and like I said, never stuck a cotton ball in the barrel. They were excellent plinking loads. I'm pretty sure you could shoot cottontails and squirrels if you got the sights adjusted correctly, or if you lucked out and it shot to the sights.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts