Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972 Marlin 336 that I usually load with MBC #4 Whitetail coated bullets, but I want to load some light loads. I have a bunch of Hornady 100 gr Short Jackets and 110 gr RNSP that I use to load for my M1 Carbine. Now here’s my question. Will the shortened overall length (2.435“ and 2.490” respectively) using these bullets have an adverse effect on feeding from the tube? I’ve run into that problem with my Henry .357 mag using .38 Special, but it has a removable inner magazine tube. I don’t want to jam some cartridges and have to disassemble the rifle because they might be too short and not feed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,810 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I can't help you with your reloading question because I use the standard 150-170gr jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Will the shortened overall length (2.435“ and 2.490” respectively) using these bullets have an adverse effect on feeding from the tube?
I cannot speak for your Marlin but I load both of these bullets routinely for my WInchesters and have no feeding problems. Extremely accurate as well with 10 - 12 grains of Unique!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you asked this question because I'm a new reloader and I'd like to load some light plinking rounds for my 30-30's as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made up some of both (100 gr SJ and 110 gr SP) using 8 gr Unique for both. I didn‘t chrono them, but I’m gonna guess about 1200 FPS with very light recoil. A real pop can killer at 25 yards.

83C32CE3-090D-4359-8C76-C5B94F7E2592.jpeg

I did have a problem with one round not wanting to chamber. I believe that it didn’t get sized exactly right though. It was a Hornady case that I got in a bag of once fired brass, and as hard as steel going through the full length sizer. I almost stuck it in the die, and it was well lubed.

065957BE-FCAD-401A-B0A9-B6F82D01F3F5.jpeg

Notice the bright rings on the shoulder and base of the neck. All the other head stamped brass chambered fine.

Back to the loads... They were a little light. I think I’d like to push them a little faster, but not too fast; maybe about 1700-1800 FPS or so. On the accuracy side, I wasn’t target shooting, but every shot hit a Mountain Dew can at 25 yards; a very nice plinking round. I think I might try some IMR 4227, Win 231, and H4895 a little later to see if I like them any better than Unique.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I made up some of both (100 gr SJ and 110 gr SP) using 8 gr Unique for both. I didn‘t chrono them, but I’m gonna guess about 1200 FPS
I was loading 100 grain Speer 'Plinkers' with 12 grains of Unique and chrono'd one and it was at 1700 + FPS and incredibly accurate.

Still pretty light recoil but I have backed off to 10 grains to lighten it up a bit more and a noticeable reduction in report.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I believe that it didn’t get sized exactly right though.
It also does not appear to have been trimmed & chamfered either as the case mouth appears to be uneven.

Also the base of the neck appears to be bulging slightly as well. Just what I see is all.

Also the half jacketed bullets need to be seated with a bit of the jacket above the neck so it provides a firm surface for the crimp.

This is the 100 grain Speer 'Plinker'.
IMG_1265.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It also does not appear to have been trimmed & chamfered either as the case mouth appears to be uneven.

Also the base of the neck appears to be bulging slightly as well. Just what I see is all.
It was not trimmed because I measured it after sizing and it was 2.035”. I’m guessing it measured shorter because it didn’t size correctly.

As for the neck, I think the entire case was too long. It must have stretched in whatever shot it.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome from Idaho!
I use a plated 110 gr. carbine bullet over 8 grs of green dot & makes for a pleasant chicken & pig silhouette load. Functions fine.

Reactions: Oakscool

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
I shoot more 100-115 gr bullets than I do 150s in 30/30. While I do a lot of 100gr 1/2 jackets my favorite bullet is Speer 110 Varmiter HP. I have shot 77gr cast bullet intended for 32acp. All these bullets cycled in 336. I load the jacketed bullets to go down the road as fast as I can crank them and get accuracy. The 1/2 jacket I shoot at 1200-1300fps for small game and plinking. Latest thing I have picked up are Hornady 90gr XTP, bullets intended for pistol that go .309” dia. Have loaded any yet.
I have found with JHP pistol bullets , are explosive when driven at rifle velocities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also have a lot of .312“ 95 gr Cast Performance (Brinnel 18-21) bullets that I bought for my .32 H&R Mag revolver that look like they would probably make a good plinking load. Would .312” be OK? What do you guys think?

E5F1BE5F-2E24-442C-B21E-C49077D4C9F5.jpeg

·
Registered
13,469 Posts
I have similar bullet molds in 98gr & 115gr. I have shot these in 30 cal rifles but sized them .310”. I wouldn’t be afraid to try ,312” bullets but I don’t know about leading or accuracy. One thing I have found that is a myth is Marlin Micro Groove barrels being no good for cast. You find the right bullet diameter and load for your Marlin and all I’ve owned shot cast well, that’s a good many rifles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 1972 Marlin 336 that I usually load with MBC #4 Whitetail coated bullets, but I want to load some light loads. I have a bunch of Hornady 100 gr Short Jackets and 110 gr RNSP that I use to load for my M1 Carbine. Now here’s my question. Will the shortened overall length (2.435“ and 2.490” respectively) using these bullets have an adverse effect on feeding from the tube? I’ve run into that problem with my Henry .357 mag using .38 Special, but it has a removable inner magazine tube. I don’t want to jam some cartridges and have to disassemble the rifle because they might be too short and not feed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I use the short 110 gr. In my marlin they feed fine. I load them with 21 gr. N110

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have one more question if you don’t mind guys. Is there any danger of “detonation” using these light loads in a 30-30 case? I know some people say this is a possible issue, and others say there is no such thing. Regardless, some powders are more position sensitive than others. Would using less than a half case full of Unique, 2400, or IMR4227 pose any problems in a light 30-30 load?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I would only used data published from bullet or powder companies.

A half case of Unique would be a surprise.
More of a worry about accidental double filling when using pistol powders in rifle cases.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts