Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I own plenty of lever guns with all kinds of peep and iron sights, but I think I'm going to join the NEF club. Maybe start out with a ultra varmint in 223rem and scope it up, and tripod, too. I understand this model can not handle 5.56 mil ammo for pressure reasons. Am I correct to assume that handloads for the 223 must be kept on the lower side.? And what about the other chamberings available, like the 243 do handloads need to be kept on the moderate side? Is this a design parameter of these rifles?

thanx...............TM7

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
As with any rifle, use starting loads and work up slowly, the handis are no different. I'm shooting 2000+ fps, 300gr loads in my .45-70 handi with no problems, working towards 2200-2300fps. I've already shot 350gr loads at over 2000fps, shoots real good. Just use good common sense and don't break any rules. With high pressure calibers like .25-06, .270 and .280 available in handi-rifles, they are built pretty well.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/saami_pressures.htm

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've never had a problem with reloading for it.. well, I only load for one chambering the 45-70. Never had a disire to stand behind a kicking horse and have never had a desire to over load or super-charge the 45-70 to kick like one :lol:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts