Marlin Firearms Forum banner

reloading for 45/70

Tags
reload
8K views 32 replies 24 participants last post by  MICAH 
#1 · (Edited)
hi all Im hoping some one can tell me what i really need and what i can do with out to hand load for my 45/70 guide gun the bare minimum I dont have a lot of money to spend here so if you could tell me about how much each item i need is and recomened brand names if thats allowed on this site ever thing i need to hand load I plan on loading 350 grain Aframe bullits at about 2200 ft per sec i have once shot brass so i,ll use that never hand loaded so i will be learning as i go

#2 ·
boredintr:biggrin: we are here to enable you too (just give me your credit card and we will load ya down:biggrin:).

Honestly I don't know what you have in used supply's. Years ago i bought a RCBS partner Press kit... Later i got a Rock chucker press.

IMO buy the starter kit, Just a single stage. In Hornady, RCBS. later you will need a trimmer and a tumbler. There is also a hand press :hmmmm:
You will need a good veneer caliper.
:top: you will save because you know what bullet you want and you will use standard primers... Lets see what powders you have available up there...
I'm sure you will bet plenty of advice here.

#3 ·
The first thing I would get is a reloading manual. Lee, RCBS, and Hornady I think all offer starter kits that have most of what you'll need. The rest you'll pick up along the way. If I might offer this advice....moderate level loads will do anything that needs doing. You'll also have a little more peace of mind. Have fun and enjoy it. It's addicting!!

#7 ·
what i really need and what i can do with out to hand load for my 45/70 guide gun the bare minimum
What you really need is a Lee classic loader

Tool Knockout punch Cutting tool Die set Set tool

Read the little data sheet. Figure out the powder drop size, that scoop only works while with some load combos.

Then go buy some pirmers, and powder, and you off and reloading, Maybe $60 if you have to pay a lot of them.

So darn easy you can do it on a stump ( I use a TV tray)

I do not load like this guy, I add wads and such. But it will give you an idea.

#9 ·
It sounds like .45-70 is a caliber that can be hand loaded very simply without lots of equipment or skill. I realize one has to know enough to be safe.

Am I correct that .45-70 can be loaded with a press, a scale and cartridge supplies (bullets, casings, primers, etc.)? What about all the other stuff you guys talk about, like a trimmer. Does the straight wall .45-70 eliminate the need for all the other fancy loading tools? Surely I must be missing something here.

#16 ·
Well, this guy is skilled but he is not checking the weight of his charges. I would never do that and I don't care for the Lee kit. I guess I have been spoiled as I have been using an RCBS Rock Chucker kit for 30 years and it still keeps putting out great shells. The 45/70 reloads great in the single stage RCBS.

A trimmer is needed when the case has been fired and resized enough times that it is too long to be safe. I have found that I need to trim 45/70 after about five fire/resize cycles. Others may have found more/less. This also brings up the issue of a case measuring gauge or caliper. I still think you are better off just buying an RCBS kit with everything you would need from press and scale to caliper.

#11 ·
thank you the video makes it look so easy i am really only looking for one load that does it all i think a 350 Aframe should be that load at about 2200 ft per sec with one load the sites will never have to be adjusted it will be up to me to adjust for distance moose and deer elk will be self limited to 150 yrds and bear a lot closed the 350 gr will take down a griz if you think or know diffrent please let me know as i am betting my life on this thanks again to all who have replied

#12 ·
For a little more money than a Lee Loader you can get a Lee Hand Press kit and a set of 45/70 dies. Get their little cheapie scale or just their set of measuring dippers and you are all set. Should the reloading bug get you, you can upgrade the press, and the dies will work with any press. Also if you have another caliber you may decide to reload for the Lee hand press will work, just get more dies.. This is the route I went and my 45/70 Lee Loader sits in a drawer. YMMV

Breech Lock Hand Press Kit

Attachments

Reactions: boredintr
#14 ·
The hand press is the next step up, it uses dies, which gives you more bullet and powder combos.
It does cost more, and is not a self contained kit, like the Classic loader.

Cheap scales are just that, they take longer to use, are fustrating, and wear out.
Once more the OP wanted low cost.

Lees low end press kits, are Chinese made junk. The scale and powder drop wont last a year.

Cheaper bullets, jacketed
InterLock Bullets 45 Cal (458 Diameter) 350 Grain Flat Nose Box of 50

Id stay away from cast, until you get more knowledge about reloading. There is more to do with cast.
The speed the OP wants exceeds cast with out special considerations.

#15 ·
The hand press is the next step up, it uses dies, which gives you more bullet and powder combos.
It does cost more, and is not a self contained kit, like the Classic loader.

Cheap scales are just that, they take longer to use, are fustrating, and wear out.
Once more the OP wanted low cost.

Lees low end press kits, are Chinese made junk. The scale and powder drop wont last a year.
The Lee scale may not be the best, and is a bit frustrating at first but wearing it out? I can't imagine where the wear points would be or how many pounds of powder it would take. As for China made, that could be, I was always told Lee made their stuff in the states. Anyway, regardless I have been using my Lee Hand Press, Lee scales, trimmer and what not on a weekly basis for over 2 years now loading mostly 45 Colt as that is what I shoot most often, but also some 45-70 as well. Nothing is showing any signs of wear, or has broke down etc. Maybe eventually or if I really tried to break it it would, but for me it has saved me a grand and probably more already over factory so if something did take a dump I wouldn't have been hurt too bad all in all. again YMMV.

Reactions: boredintr
#18 ·
To the OP: The bottom line is everyone is going to have an opinion as to what they think is the minimum you will need to load ammunition. Some people have found satisfaction with Lee stuff such as myself, others would only use RCBS while someone else, maybe Hornady, and yet someone else is fine with a good mallet and a Lee Loader. Bottom line is they all will work, and furthermore they all likely will produce quality ammunition for years provided the person hand loading does his job. Let your own needs and budget concerns be your guide!

#19 ·
Id say eaglesnest has made a good point. Opinions vary. I have a classic loader for 45-70. I also have a RCBS press, which was given to me. I would use the press any day of the week over the classic loader. Now the hand press is something I haven't tried. But, I bet it's way better and more versatile than the classic loader. Yes, the classic loaders work, but if you can afford to spend a little more, you will likely be saving more in the long run. What I am trying to say is you are most likely going to LOVE reloading. And if I'm right, you will quickly outgrow the classic loader in very little time.

Just another opinion.

#21 ·
Well, I'm a big fan of the Lee Loader kits and have been for years.

Other than the kit and a good mallet the only three tools I'd say were must have would be a 1) a scale, 2) a caliper set and 3) at least one reloading manual.

It's been my experience that you can dip most powders pretty darned accurate with the dippers if you dip each dip the same way. That is, no tapping to settle it, just an even sweep or even better, put the powder in a bowl and push the dipper straight down into it and let the powder flow over the sides until level. The reasons I say to buy a scale are twofold. One, powder weight per volume varies from lot to lot and two, it takes practice to dip consistently. The scale lets you compare each dip and fine tune each charge. I've "practice dipped" many many charges but honestly, I've never loaded a round without weighing the charge. But then, I already had a scale when I bought my first Lee Loader and weighing the charges was an ingrained habit. I am confident though that if I were in a situation where I could NOT weigh my charges, I would be able to load quite usable ammo without it.

The caliper set would be to check case length and the overall length of your loaded rounds to be sure the seating depth was correct. Changes in seating depth change case capacity and in turn effect pressures. The 45-70 is a bit less critical of this though as most bullets have a crimp groove and you just locate off of that. I still like to measure things though to compare with the manual data.

And of course, there is no substitute for a good manual. One of the cheapest and useful you can buy is the "One book one caliber" books. Cabela's sells them for about $6 or $7 and they have load data from most of the powder manufacturers and bullet makers for the given caliber all in one booklet. The "big" manuals like Lyman, Speer etc, will have a ton of info on calibers you'll likely never need but they also have a lot of info on how to reload that is great for (and much needed by) beginners.

When buying a mallet, get the little bit heavier one and preferably with harder plastic faces. The lighter ones or ones with softer rubbery hammer faces do not work as well in my opinion.

#22 ·
The one downfall of the dipper that comes with the Lee kits are they are on the low end of the fps chart.
The 45/70 has a 3.7, and you need the 4.0 (per their powders)

If you buy one dipper from lee its $7 with shipping, if you buy the dipper set its $12 shipped.
I bought the entire set.
I use Reloader 7 in the 45/70s, and its not on thier chart.
I removed the 3.7 from the kit, and replaced it with a 3.1 for use with R-7

#23 ·
Suggestions from an old reloader, not an expert, but experienced. On a limited budget the Lee Loader makes a good start. To that add a reloading manual, as stated the "manuals for one caliber" are very good. Buy a plastic faced mallet, a Lee case trimmer, and opt for the "ball" as the small metal handle the cutter screws into is hard on the hands. The wooden ball (about the size of a pool ball) makes it a lot easier. A loading block to hold your brass. After charging your brass look into the cases with a good light (no open flames please). All the brass with powder in them makes it easy to see the powder levels. It is easy to double charge brass as large as 45-70. Lastly, if you take your reloading kit to a shared hunting camp, reload in the evening hours before "lights out". All the required tapping with the hammer gets on some guys nerves. It will keep you from having your gear set out on the front porch. (Don't ask me how I know). Search the web sites and get a rough idea of costs, then haunt flea markets and garage sales for used reloading equipment. 50 cents on the dollar are not uncommon prices and reloading equipment will last a lifetime. The Lee loader shown is a "bare bones press" but a close second in portability. An advantage of the dies allows you to get used brass that shoould be full length resized to ensure they fit into your rifle's chamber. The Lee loader, mallet, some bullets and a small amount of powder packs into a small package. Pack the primers seperate. Never had a problem, but why tempt fate? With a little experience you can reload 30-40 rounds in about 90 minutes. Do each step for all the cases before you go on to the next step. It will speed the process. Good luck and happy reloading. Shenandoah

#25 ·
I'll second what Shenandoah said.

Lee believes in KISS engineering and make great products with the least amount of complication.

#24 ·
midway has the lee chalenger press kit on sale for $105.00,press ,scale,everything youll need to get started, add another $125 for dies,powder,primers,cases,and heads and you are ready to get started,you can add a trimmer,calipers ect.as you go.My dad got me this set up when I was 15 ,I've added alot of equipt.sence but I'm still using most if not all of it,by the way I'm 44 so almost 30 years

#27 ·
Unless you are shooting things that bite back the A-frame really isn't needed. Honestly the 300gr speer at 2200 is just fine for anything that doesn't bite. H-4198 is a hard powder to beat for power and accuracy. The 400 speer or 405 remington at 1800 fps will do the job too. Don't try to push them faster as they won't tolerate more speed without overexpanding.

Reactions: SteedGun
#28 ·
Agreed. 300gr HPs of Hornady, Speer, Remington all shoot very well with H4198 behind them. I am also now experimenting with a 420 Crater-Lite bullet that looks to be very acccurate. This is a very good thread with very good feedback. I hope you take it to heart.

#29 · (Edited)
When I first started I did not have any load books I used the Hodgdon web sight. Its free and its the same information they put in there books that should save you about $25-$35

only use loads from official sights such as Hodgdon or IMR. I have seen a few loads posted on other internet sights that would blow up a Ruger #1.

#30 ·
You have received a lot of good advice, particularly regarding a loading hand book as a first purchase. Second is a set of quality brand scales which are available used for $25 to $50. Following that almost anyone's press and dies will work though some are better than others. Cheap calipers are handy but for this project not necessary nor is the case trimmer. I say this as I load about 2000 .45-70 cartridges a year and have to stretch them to fit the chamber. .45-70 brass tends to be too short and does not stretch on firing (for me at least).

I don't think you will shoot many 350 grain bullets at 2200FPS as the result is flat painfull. A 350-400 grain slug at 1500 will kill any thing that walks the western hemisphere inside of 200 yards and will be pleasant enough to shoot that you can get good with the gun and load.

After reading and rereading the loading manual that you are going to buy, please look for a quality used bench mounted press, a scale and some new dies. Buy a pound of powder, some primers and bullets and you are in business. There are thousands of dollars of other essentials that will follow you home as you gain experience but the above will put you into the safe and economical production of ammunition.

hi all Im hoping some one can tell me what i really need and what i can do with out to hand load for my 45/70 guide gun the bare minimum I dont have a lot of money to spend here so if you could tell me about how much each item i need is and recomened brand names if thats allowed on this site ever thing i need to hand load I plan on loading 350 grain Aframe bullits at about 2200 ft per sec i have once shot brass so i,ll use that never hand loaded so i will be learning as i go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.