Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post here I have a new to me 336 cowboy 38-55 on the way and it is pretty aparent that I am going to have to load for my self if I want to shoot. Iam new to reloading and not sure about dies have looked at RCBS Cowboy 3 die set and Redding 3 die set 38-55 wcf ballard. I am not sure about case length,powder charge, bullett weight/dia. what primmer to use my manual has no info on 38-55. any info greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
38-55 itis

Hey Charlie,

Congratulations on a fine rifle:congrats:

Shot these, at 100 yds., with an "as dropped" .381", 245 gr bullet, lubed with Wind's Wonder Wax, from Penn Bullets. https://www.pennbullets.com/ Using 10.0 gr of Universal Clays, with the Federal 210, in the Starline "long" brass, trimmed to 2.123". Clocking at 1150 fps. Very low recoil, and plenty accurate.

Skinner Alaskan rear sight, with the Factory 9MOA "bead", on the front. (since replaced with the Skinner Front Sight). About Us

A lot of guys are having success with the Laser Cast bullets, with 10.0 gr of Unique. Some are reporting success with 4759 powder.

Here is a link to six loads I will be testing, as soon as I can get to the range. http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/3...n-standard-calibers/140667-38-55-bullets.html

Am thinking this rifle will "like" the .382" bullet. Also lubed with Wind's Wonder Wax.

You may want to check with Midway, or Starline for brass.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Thanks msharley still trying to decide on dies leaning toward RCBS cowboys long way to go but looks like a nice trip.
Hey Charlie,

Apologize for my omission. Am using the RCBS Cowboy Dies, and since I load on a Dillon 550B, the Redding Profile Crimp Die. (have had good service out of the Redding Profile Crimp Die in 45/70, and am getting good use out the 38-55 model).

Best results (however you do it) are obtained seating and crimping in separate "steps". (this will save a lot of grief, with cast bullets)

The 38-55 Starline case is very "thin", and easily damaged. (can ding the mouths up in the tumbler)

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Hey Charlie,

Remind me to take a couple of pics of my old Lyman Manual. Has some good info on "vintage" ammo.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I'm going to be loading for this as well, gotta find some of the long 38-55 brass, I have the shorts now, might have to seat my bullet a little shallower to make them work, hate to throw out the brass...have to see how it goes I guess.
Bulletwise i'm leaning towards a 255gr for target and a 265 gas checked for hunting, I HAVE to try this rifle out for Hogs!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks msharley sorry about slow responce Stupid Demanding Job I am ordering a set of cowboy dies and thinking about a Lee crimper.I will see how it goes, much to do.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Thanks msharley sorry about slow responce Stupid Demanding Job I am ordering a set of cowboy dies and thinking about a Lee crimper.I will see how it goes, much to do.
Hey Charlie,

For cast bullets, you will not need the Lee Crimp Die.

Forgot to take pics of the old Manuals. PM me, when ready.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
I'm going to be loading for this as well, gotta find some of the long 38-55 brass, I have the shorts now, might have to seat my bullet a little shallower to make them work, hate to throw out the brass...have to see how it goes I guess.
Bulletwise i'm leaning towards a 255gr for target and a 265 gas checked for hunting, I HAVE to try this rifle out for Hogs!
Hey Mazer,

Did you check Midway?

Later, Mark

·
Registered
348 Posts
Charlie-----bout the most vital thing ya can do IS SLUG THE BORE of that Marlin when ya get it---that'll save ya from buying stuff ya don't need ( like cast bullets w/ too small diameter!)----The later models can have larger diam bore-------the RCBS dies are made for larger diam. bullet---measuring size of chamber can be helpful too----sometimes larger diam. bullets don't chamber too good ---thinner walls on Starline brass generally takes care of that----Starline brass can sometimes be hard to get--so best thing to do is call Starline & if not in stock get on back order list!------Ya can trim the longer brass if it's too long for ya 336 but ya can't make the shorter ones longer!----My 336 cb does good w/ the shorter brass but what does in one might not do in another--------Ya listed ya self as TnCharlie that mean ya in Tenn.??

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have been using Winchester brass and 260 gr hard cast gas checked bullets. The bullets started out at .381 but would not chamber. I finally got them sized down to .379 and everything works great. Using Lee dies and crimp die. So far I have used H4895, H4198 and Unique powders. 38-55 is the first caliber I have loaded for that everything I try shoots good. One of the H4895 loads will shoot under an inch groups every time. Oh, the rifle I am shooting is a 336cb also.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I haven't ordered dies yet, I have about 200 factory rounds to shoot first. Probably all the short brass, but I'll try to make use of it and reload it. I'll go with the RCBS Cowboy dies for this one. I'll start with either IMR-4198 OR maybe RX7 OR whatever I can find that's available!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts