Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
I got my tactical Marlin 馃檪 up and ready so now I need some good load data for hunting hog and deer. I am casting using a RCBS 300gr fln gas checked lead is mostly ww with just a bit of soft lead. View attachment 720864
Western Powders has loads published (free PDF, or you can order a hard copy of the PDF for about $3) for 300 gr FNGC with a bunch of Accurate and Ramshot powders, from trapdoor loads through to full pressure (almost 40K psi). I just received some Ramshot X-Terminator.

Such wide variability in WW, I still expect your BHN to be not higher than maybe 12, so pretty soft.

You should be able to get almost 2000 fps with 300 gr FNGC and that stubby barrel, but I'm not sure you want it that fast if the bullets are as soft as I expect them to be.

Nice thing about shooting lead is that any load published for a jacketed bullet is a safe load for the same weight lead bullet. Lyman #49 doesn't have any loads for 300 gr lead, but they have a bunch for jacketed 300 gr

If you don't have a membership to loaddata.com (about $35/year), I highly recommend getting one.

RL-7 has always been my go-to for 45-70.

RL-7: 38 gr should get you around 1500 fps, and 45 gr should get you to around 1650-1700. Note that the published velocities are much faster, but Lyman uses a 24" universal receiver, not an 1895 GBL. Also, these loads will keep you under 27K PSI. You could go to 57 gr and still be under 40K PSI. That would give you a velocity of between 2000 and 2100.

Ramshot X-Terminator/Accurate 2230 (same powder): 40.3 gr up to 44.8 gr will have you between 1550 and 1700 fps, and at 27K PSI. If you want to get closer to 40K PSI, you could go to 56.8 gr and be just north of 2000 fps

It's always tempting to try and push your bullets as fast as they will go, but with 45-70, it just isn't necessary. Think about how many American bison were killed in the 19th century when "fast" was 1300 fps and frontiersmen cast all of their bullets out of pretty much pure, soft lead, or at most, paper-patched them. And white tails aren't as tough as bison, not by a very wide margin.

Registered
Nosler also has published data for their 300 gr silver tip here: https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/45-70-gov-sao/

But take note that these are just short of 40K PSI loads

When you find an accurate load between 1400 and 1600 fps, call it a day and be happy with it.

Registered
Greast looking rifle. sgt zim has some great info for you. dh2 is real close to the loads you want with that powder. Good luck and let us know how your range trials went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.