Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my new 45-70 Cowboy gets out of FFL jail. I have a very good relationship with my LGS, and they have agreed to let me shoot my 45-70 in their indoor range, as long as the loads do not exceed 44 mag levels (they allow other rifles such as 44 mag, 45 Colt +p and M1 Carbine, but they hold the line at 454 Casull revolver or rifle. I current have 458 cast bullets 300g, 350g and 405gr. Right now I have reloaded some of the cast 350g at both 15g 2400 and 18g 2400, but I would like some advice as, while reloading for decades, I'm new to 45-70. I'm guessing reloading the 300gr bullets would be closer to 44 mg loadings, but the darn the things are coated red (my other bullets are bare cast), and the loaded rounds look like a lipstick tube with a red tip. Saying this I will probably go with the 300g next time and save the larger bullets for higher velocity loads. Again the point is not to duplicate a 44mag loading, but creating a reduced load similar to 44 mag loading. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
985 Posts
How will your LGS know what level your home-rolled loads are? You may need to find some .45-70 Cowboy Action loads such as Ultramax Cowboy Action or the like.

Tim

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
19,715 Posts
We've been shooting 350 grain LaserCast bullets and 14.7 grains of Unique,standard(non-magnum) primer. Very mild with excellent accuracy. Never chrono'd this load,but it's milder than my .44 Mag rifle loads.

·
Registered
872 Posts
agreed to let me shoot my 45-70 in their indoor range,
as long as the loads do not exceed 44 mag levels ....
Uuuuuuhh.... I can't figure out what they're talking about, and I have a feeling they don't know either.

That said, look at Kingstrider's data, and this limit:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Uuuuuuhh.... I can't figure out what they're talking about, and I have a feeling they don't know either.

That said, look at Kingstrider's data, and this limit:
Today they clarified to shoot Cowboy loads over full power hunting loads. I'm thinking they are referring to ammo such as Federal Fusion in 45-70 as being overpowered for their range.

Cartridge 45-70 Government
Quantity 20 Round
Grain Weight 300 Grains
Muzzle Velocity 1850 Feet Per Second
Muzzle Energy 2280 Foot Pounds

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just buy an 1894 44 Magnum and use it for an understudy to the 45-70.
Why would one buy a 44 magnum rifle when a 45-70 can be handloaded to anything between a plinking load to a dangerous game loading? I tried my plinking load 15g of 2400 behind 350 gr cast bullet yesterday, which was very accurate but seemed under powered; recoiled less than a 44 mg. I have done some more reading and I've settle on Unique as the best pinking load; 10-11 grains behind a 300-350 gr bullet. Beyond that I have loaded some rounds with medium 3031 loadings and will also experiment with IMR 4198 and IMR 4895 to see what this rifle can do.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those "Cowboy" 405 loads will (and did) kill anything/everything on this continent.
:ridinghorse::rock:
..< smile >..
I believe a Cowboy or Cowboy Action load, is not meant to replicate the black powder loads of yesteryear 45-70-405; the loads that were used to kill bear and Buffalo. Rather they are a reduced load meant to produce less recoil. IOW a plinking load..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why did I buy a 44 mag after I had a 45/70 - Because I can!!! Can load down to pipsqueak 44 special level for plinking in the hood.
LOL! I was not downplaying a 44mag rifle, rather if I was going to pick between 45-70 and 44 mag, the 45-70 is a more versatile if one handloads. If one does not handload, than I would agree that a 44mg in a rifle or handgun would be a better choice.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
How will your LGS know what level your home-rolled loads are? You may need to find some .45-70 Cowboy Action loads such as Ultramax Cowboy Action or the like.

Tim
When it goes through the wall?

Reactions: V1Rot8
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.