Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I finally got around to slugging my 1894 44 Cowboy Limited. It's big - almost .433. I have some cast bullets labeled as .431 that are actually .432 so I started making some test loads with them. Unfortunately they are too big for my Lee seating die. They jam on the crimping shoulder, get pushed down into the brass and sometime get pulled back out.

My .431 bullets pass through the die body with no problem but the .432s won't, so they are just a tad to big. I can re-adjust the die and crimp as a separate step but in the long term I want to seat and roll crimp in one step.

Apparently it's not an uncommon problem and I have read a number of posts where people have used different brand dies that work with no problem. Redding, RCBS and the RCBS Cowboy dies were mentioned. Can anyone confirm what die will work with .432 diameter cast bullets?

Thanks

·
Registered
17,047 Posts
I use an RCBS seater die I've had since 1978,it will seat .431 and .432 bullets,and then crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp die as a separate step. It's a whole lot easier for me this way,but you'll get a lot of input both ways from our reloading members. I like setting the seating depth for the various bullets and not fiddling with the seat and crimp adjustments at the same time.
Sometimes as you're seating the larger diameter bullet,the crimping shoulder will shave bullet lead. This is easily avoided by using a crimp die from any of the major manufacturers.
What do you have against crimping as the fourth step?

Rob

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been my preference to seat and roll crimp in a single step. I don't use a progressive press so it saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die also post sizes. I want to retain the full size of that .432 bullet so I am not sure that die would be appropriate for this application.

I just reposted this in Reloading as it may be more appropriate there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts