Remington JHP 300 .458"
2.550"c.o.l.
Reloder 7 55.3gr
CCI 200
2200fps
3225m.e.
1.3"group @ 100yds
test gun Marlin 1895GG 18.5" barrel

Any opinions before I start this load. I was planning on starting at 50 grains and working towards the 55.3 grains

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's an article by Real Guns after he published those loads. He talks about the 45/70 lever action's limitations. He says that HE NEEDS TO BACK DOWN FROM HIS LOADS. He also explains how in Reloading Manuals under the Modern Lever Action the margin of error appears to be much less than other calibers. He said Speer even has some loadings that are borderline.

Article: http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar52.htm

·
Registered
101 Posts
On Real Gun's load, I dropped the data into my Load from a Disk. They don't have a 300 grn Remington, but I ran the program with Sierra's 300 grain Pro-Hunter. I'm using fireformed Remington case measurements. Real Guns uses Remington cases also. If you set your COL at 2.525" (Sierra) and use 55 grains, you will get 2213 fps according to my program out of your Guide Gun. CUP is 43,000 so I wouldn't go over with RL-7 that amount. I would do as you say, start at 50 grains and work up. If you substitute the 300 Remington Bullet, then I would make the COL 2.550 and make sure you start at 50 grains.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'd be sure to use the exact components as well. I was thinking about your post and didnt see it list the case type/brand. Stick with what they are using if you are going to the limit. If switching components rework the load for safety.

Let us know how the load works out, I'm interested in the rem 300jhp.

Perferator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts