Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the forum just barely bought a 1895sbl RMEF gun off gun broker. I am going to reload some 325gr ftx bullets, I already have the hornady dies and the special seater for the bullet and know i have to trim the brass, but i don't have Hornady #9 reloading manual i was wondering if someone could scan a copy for me or just let me know the powders and loads. Im sure there has been a thread on this before but i could not seem to find anything. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Jeremy

·
Banned
49 Posts
One Option from Hodgdon:

325 GR. HDY FTX
Manufacturer Hodgdon
Powder H322
Bullet Diameter .458"
C.O.L. 2.590"
Starting Load
Grains 51.5
Velocity (ft/s) 1,951
Pressure 26,000 CUP
Maximum Load
Grains 59.4C
Velocity (ft/s) 2,250
Pressure 37,600 CUP

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
j_gingue,

Don't get overly committed to the Hornady FTX bullet as you may well find as others before you have, that there are just better directions to go!

While the FTX is very accurate in many rifles, and it will kill game, that kill will come at a price. The price being that with any thing like a hit in heavy muscle or bone there will be EXCESSIVE meat loss. And yes I have seen it.

Penetration will also suffer on larger game due to the over expansion, which according to folk that have seen it, tends to leave lots of bullet fragments behind.

Hornady is a much better company then this bullet indicates, and could if they would make a better bullet. Then there is that stupid thing of using non-standard length brass. Duuuuuuuuu!

So, with there being just much better options, a good 400+grain Wide Flat Nose cast bullet for example, you may well find the FTX Moving to the bottom of your list.

They also make the Mono-Flex bullet which at about 250gr may if any thing be worse then the FTX.

At that weight and dia., no matter how fast you start it, it will shed energy and velocity like water off a ducks back.

I use Hornady dies for loading my 45/70 with cast bullets, so that should make the switch to better bullets with no problem.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
You may find that this load and bullet are accurate but like Crusty said there will be a price. I found that a good cast bullet 400gr and up traveling between 1500 and 1700fps will kill anything you are wanting to hunt and as stated you can eat right up to the hole. Using a good cast bullet and a well placed shot it's pretty much a bang flop. And welcome to the forum. Any questions or help you need just ask there is usually someone here that can help you out.

Reactions: j_gingue

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anyone tried loading the Hornady Leverevolution brass with a 405gr lead bullet? Would it feed correctly in a levergun like the Marlin 1895?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't u have to also cut ur brass short to use the Hornady bullets? I know the factory ftx rounds use shorter than std brass in 45/70. Has to do with the polymer tip I think.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Don't u have to also cut ur brass short to use the Hornady bullets? I know the factory ftx rounds use shorter than std brass in 45/70. Has to do with the polymer tip I think.
Has to do with the crimping cannalure. If the brass isn't trimmed your crimp is too far forward and not in the proper spot.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Has anyone tried loading the Hornady Leverevolution brass with a 405gr lead bullet? Would it feed correctly in a levergun like the Marlin 1895?
Haven't tried it but I would think the groove for crimping would be in the wrong spot. Then you would have to seat the bullet deeper and then your pressures and velocities would change on your reloads. Also your OAL would be much shorter than necessary and the bullet would be traveling a short distance prior to hitting the rifling. Maybe someone that has tried this can chime in with their results.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I'm hoping someone has, I've got like 200 rounds of hornady lever brass that I'm tired of buying FTX bullets for....lol
Put it up for sale. There is always someone looking for that brass. Then go and buy some Starline brass for your new loading.

Reactions: GunsAndHarley

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
j_qingue,

Bullet to bore fit IS IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!! IT is highly recommended that a person slug their bore then go 1 or 2 thousands over the resulting measurement.

I use a .460 in my 45/70 and a .431 in the .44 handgun and rifle and that is the size we will at least start with in the son's .444.

Then, be aware that the term "hard cast" means LITTLE and if the company selling a "hard cast" bullet does NOT give an accurate hardness measurement, it means almost nothing.

Harder then what, harder then who's.

I am use just plain clip one wheel weight alloy, water quenched to velocities over 2000fps and with the 45/70 an alloy of 50/50 WW/lead, also water quenched.

The 45/70 alloy would not likely qualify for "hard Cast" even if there were an established scale by which to compare the hardness.

I am using gas checked bullets in the heavy .44 loads, handgun or rifle, and in the 45/70.

Have shot/tested the 45/70 to velocities just over 2500fps with cast bullets, and the recent tests with the 77/44 rifle are already reaching to over 1700fps.

The point being, providing your barrel is good, your bullet to bore fit is correct, and of course your using a good lube and alloy, those that say you can't successfully shoot cast bullets at velocities of 1500 and greater FPS simply are miss informed.

Forget the largely unreliable thought of needing expansion with cast bullets. Success is HIGHLY dependent on alloy and impact velocity and once your out of the sweet spot for reliable expansion you will be faced with over expansion or on the other side, no expansion at all.

It took many years to arrive at reliable expansion with jacketed bullets, and without the controlling factor of the jacket your back to the possibility of questionable results if you rely on expansion with cast bullets.

Just simply use a cast bullet of 400gr or more in the 45/70 and use a design with a LARGE meplat many times called a Wide Flat Nose.

It is highly effective on game!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first photograph shows that WFN style bullet in .30 cal, the second shows a 275gr WFN loaded in .444 brass and these are also being used in my .44 handgun an rifle and the third image is a before and after WFN 465gr used in my 45/70. The "after" is the only cast bullet I'll likely ever retrieve from a critter and was found in a big cow elk after a quartering shot which took out the BIG upper front leg bone on the way in. End result is 327.9gr.

006.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG

It should go without saying that the larger the meplat, the more effective it will be without expansion.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can't imagine that there is any reason why you can't load any 45-70 bullet in the shorter Hornady cases. Case capacity would be slightly reduced but unless you are using max book loads it won't be a problem.

A few shooters are using 45-70 brass that is cut significantly shorter then the Hornady brass. They do this to meet maximum overall length rules in their state. This would require careful load development.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm hoping someone has, I've got like 200 rounds of hornady lever brass that I'm tired of buying FTX bullets for....lol
Depending on the particular bullet, you may be able to use the shorter brass, and crimp into the first lube groove instead of into the traditional crimp groove, thus maintaining the OAL without seating the bullet too deep in the short cases, and bumping pressure up too high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts