Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cobra Pro Caliper release aid. It has anodized aluminum calipers.

I've shot my bow conservatively 3,000 times, probably between 4,000 and 5,000 times. My release aid is in almost new condition except that the anodized finish on the inside of the calipers where the D loop rubs across the calipers upon release has worn off.

It seems that the harder anodized finish that remains on the two flat caliper faces have formed knife edges that wear my D loop very quickly. It seems the original loop lasted about 1,500 shots. I'm on my fourth loop now and it is frayed to the point I need to replace it again after only a few hundred shots, maybe less than 200 shots. I wish the calipers were stainless steel but they're not. Cobra doesn't seem to sell replacement calipers. It appears I have to buy a new release aid or keep replacing the D loop every couple hundred shots.

What is your all's experience with anodized aluminum release aids?

Is there anything I can do to keep them from tearing up my D loops so fast short of replacing them? I've thought about putting something tough like nail polish that sticks to raw aluminum on the caliper tips to cover the edge of the anodized finish. My friend suggested sanding them but I think that will just make it worse since the aluminum will sand away much faster.

Do y'all just live with replacing D loops often?

·
Registered
805 Posts
If the hard anodizing is gone, there is not much you can do that would be cost effective. Sanding and polishing the caliper where it is worn will help the loops last longer but you will be trading your time polishing instead of tying a new loop. It's probably time for a new caliper. It is really not worth taking a chance on a loop letting go. After knocking myself flat to the ground when my last loop let go, I would have easily coughed up the money for a new caliper to not walk around looking like a losing boxer for a week. That is why I now spend most of my time shooting with my fingers on recurves and longbows these days. I still have a gaggle of compounds but I only shoot them a couple times a year just to prove I still can.

I would say if you can't get 1000 shots with a loop it's time to change the release.

Keith

Reactions: MDTrailrider

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Bronco is correct. Retire your old release and pick up a new one. After five years of using a Tru Ball caliper release, the cuff started going bad and was digging into my wrist. I switched over to a True Fire Hardcore Max that has a single hook for the D loop. It releases much smoother and the cuff is exceptionally comfortable.
Keep your old release as back up.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking online at the Hardcore Max and the Cobra Honey Badger. They're similar, both have an SS hook and cost about the same.

For now I'm waxing generously the new D loop I installed on Tuesday and counting how many shots I get before it frays. I'm just trying to confirm it wasn't my fault the loop wore out so quickly and buying time to see some of these other releases in person. I'm up to 99 shots with no wear.

Reactions: Bronco Archer

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
I hope it stays fray free. I do not know anything about the Cobra, but the Hardcore Max is very adjustable for length and trigger pressure.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ditch the cobra and buy a new one with a hook. Your accuracy will probably improve as well
Can you elaborate why my accuracy will improve? My logic says hooks should be less accurate. I don't know what I'm missing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts