Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at a LGS today, they had picked up an estate of a couple hundred guns I guess, I asked about vintage Marlins.

The guy goes to the back, and pulls out a 94 with a 28" octagon barrel, everything original, dust, rust, and cobwebs. Even had the "original" varnish someone had slopped on the gun, complete with original paint brush marks.:biggrin: Serial number 350XXX something.

Either a 38 40, or a 44, would not be my left one which, the room was so dark and the finish rusted at one time, a distinct caliber mark was so indistinct even he wasnt sure, and he actually had his glasses on. We both thought it was closer to 44, but again not comparing it to a round to be more certain.
An S shaped butt, I suspect the metal had been douched with Naval jelly in the distant past, the action being typically blotched where the case had worn and rusted in varying degrees.

The wood was actually in good shape, under all that varnish. No major dents nor splits nor oil contamination.

He hadnt even logged the gun into his books yet, but admitted the bore was so grungy, he had no clue as to the rifling. I didnt want to act too interested, so gave him my number to call once he decided what he figured it was worth.

I am guessing a 44 40 in a "trap" barrel, like this, has to be a bit rare. But just wanted some other opinions.

I have too many project guns now, but figured if I could snag it for maybe 3 bills, it at least would draw a lot of customers to the table to take a double look if nothing else. And a guy might strip the old varnish off, maybe discover some figure in the wood, and use a lot of Kroil and patience and fine wire rust blue carding brushes by hand, it might clean up a lot better than imagined possible.

I have seen a long barreled 93 or two, I actually have one with a 28", but simply cant recall ever seeing a long one on an 1894 or 94 model, of any caliber, other than in the books.

Reactions: drjjpdc

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't think the 28" is rare, I think scarce would be a better word. I have seen a lot of 26" and 28"s, the 30" and 32" may be rare. I have 1889s and 94s with 26" and 28" barrels. In the 1889 production figures their were 3729 26" and 2268 28" 164 30" and 99 32", they don't have numbers for the 1894, but I think the relative rarity would be the same.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the thoughts amigos. scarcity or rarity is of course a bit subjective. Considering all the guns one sees over the years, that were rifles originally, and circumcised to a more practical length, certainly I dont think all of them were damaged to cause the operation?

So a guy has a hand gun size round, that doesnt need 28 inches of barrel in the first place, its rather obvious as too why the long ones are in fewer numbers. And technically, the 44 40 etc were in reality "rifle" rounds, though we tend to call them "pistol rounds", I am betting the 25 20 at least, might actually be slowing in velocity, by the time it left a 30 " tube.

All of these inane issues are simply the things I think about at times, I have never been to a shrink, as I am sure they would put me in a home ASAP.:biggrin:

I just wish this gun was a bit better condition. I have seen some doggier weapons over the years, but this is right up there with the top 40 or so.

The same collection allegedly had a "restored" takedown, 30 30 93, checkering etc. I didnt see the gun, but doubt the LGS guys really know a good restoration, from a reblue.

The more experience I gain, I prefer them original. Might be getting a bit jaded or something?:tee:

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Last time I was near Kingman, if hasnt changed that much....:biggrin:
Perhaps one of the few spots on earth, that the wind blows about the same amount as over at Elko, NV.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
28" barrels are scarce on a 1894/94, but I wouldn't put them into the "rare" category. I've owned 5-6 with 28" barrels, so they don't seem extremely rare to me. Wind has my old .32-20 1894 with 28" barrel, and it's a tack driver in his hands. The longer sight radius, and the way they hang, has always appealed to me a lot! The long barrels look great too!
I'd put the 30"-32" into the rare category, as I've rarely seen them, and never owned one in a 1894.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Wind has my old .32-20 1894 with 28" barrel, and it's a tack driver in his hands. .
I've had the pleasure of shooting that rifle, and you are correct, in Wind's hands it's a tack driver. I saw him hit a dinger at 800 yards with it at the first WDRA shoot.

It's a beauty indeed.

B

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I've had the pleasure of shooting that rifle, and you are correct, in Wind's hands it's a tack driver. I saw him hit a dinger at 800 yards with it at the first WDRA shoot.

It's a beauty indeed.

B
Wind seems to have magical powers when it comes to long range shooting. The gun is a pretty gun, but it's accuracy makes it even prettier!

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
We used to keep a few cans of that beer in the coke machine at the gas station I worked at in the late sixties. I called it "the fringe benefit department".

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Looks like a couple of Schlitz beers sitting there. Never my favorite but I knew the can as soon as I saw the picture.
I used to like Schlitz beer back when it was sold..and back when I drank alcoholic beverages

Reactions: Mike Leck

·
Banned
393 Posts
I have 2 1894's Marlins in my collection. One is a 44-40 with a 32" barrel. It is very accurate. My problem is the sight are too far apart & they get blurry(63 years old eyes). I plan on a putting a tang sight on it someday. The other 1894 is 25-20 with a 30" round barrel. This gun is one of the first Marlins I bought when collecting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Last time I was near Kingman, if hasnt changed that much....:biggrin:
Perhaps one of the few spots on earth, that the wind blows about the same amount as over at Elko, NV.:biggrin:
I'm fifty miles from Elko, and here to tell ya, Elko has nothing on Murdock Mountain.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have only been up that far N E once or twice, its safe to submit, NV gets its share of wind, over several parts of the state.:biggrin: Tonopah summit for example. Winnemucca can get a good breeze too.

I often wonder what those old time Paiutes and Shoshone did back in the day when the wind blew in the spring. I cant really imagine them having much luck hunting in a 50 and often 60 mile breeze whipping across the flat parts. And as you know, it can do that for a couple weeks at a stretch.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess the guy found another buyer, I never heard back from him. I learned some time back, gun buys are either "meant too be" or they arn't" If the deal doesnt go down on the spot, it rarely comes around later, though one or two rare occasions a guy would call me weeks after the fact.

Just as well, I have 5 or 6 major gun builds, and restoration projects laying around in parts already. I certainly didnt need another, unless he might have said "I take 100 bucks" or some such number. And being a gun store owner, that werent likely either.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Mike, I talked to about that photo before, it's great!
Here's one of my grandad, younger brother and me, in Kingman, AZ 1964. I have grandads colt buntline 22
View attachment 117951
Great picture, cj! You were a pretty desperate looking shootist. Grandfathers are great, aren't they? (Didn't know either of mine - both died years before I was born. Dad set me on the path...)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts