Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the plunge and bought a sp101 with the 3 inch barrel. I have already loaded a hundred rounds (38's) but haven't found a sweet spot. I have discovered that I like 158 gr bullets over 125 gr bullets. I am using Unique and have tried a bunch of combos with the 125's - not as many with the 158 gr bullets. Anybody have a Unique158 gr load the really like? I realize every shooter and gun is different, but I feel like I am swimming in the ocean and need a starting point to work around. Any thought's?

·
Banned
805 Posts
already loaded a hundred rounds (38's) but haven't found a sweet spot
The last time I load developed with a pistol, I loaded 6 rounds and found a load that shot 3 5/8" at 100 yards. I only load 10 rounds at the most with any firearm, and will usually discover 2 sub-moa loads with scoped rifles.

Google, "Audette Ladder Test"

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Stick with the Unique and 158s but go to the mag case you'll like the gun better. I had a SP101 I loaded for my wife and it seemed to like the heavier slugs I tried 110s to 158s with Unique. It seemed to favor the moderate to heavy grain loads.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
swany said:
Stick with the Unique and 158s but go to the mag case you'll like the gun better.
Yes, I didn't catch that... I only use .357 cases in my .357's. My standard plink load for the 158grn cast SWC is around 6.2grn Unique with a roll crimp. Unique is fairly position insensitive, even in the bigger .357 case.

I don't have any recent load data with Unique and a 158grn jacketed bullet, although I've done it with good success.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use 4.5g Unique with 158 lead bullets for about 760fps from a 4" Ruger security six. Its a light .38 Spl level load.
M.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am using only jacketed bullets. I feel bad about asking a question and disappearing for few days. I have loaded up all my brass, so now I have to get to the range and empty my brass. Are you suggesting that I just save that brass for something else and not use it in the SP101?

When you say stick with the mag cases, can I still load 38 type loads, or only 357 loads? I want a load that me and my 14 year old can plink. I will load some of the 158 grn jacketed with 6.2 grns of Unique in 357 cases and see what happens.

I spent my weekend range time doing a trigger job on my Ruger. I put in the 9 lb wolff spring, so I am curious to see if it still makes a bang when I pull the trigger. It would have been a quick job if I hadn't taken the trigger apart and spent two hours looking for the little spring and plunger that do what springs do when they are set free.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
My SP101 is VERY fond of 4g HP38 and 158g LSWC in .357mag cases.

It's a nice, light, friendly shooting round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my favorite and most accurate load in my .357, 2 inch Sp101 is,7.8 grains of Unique,under a Hornady 140grain hollow point. I shoots to point of aim and gives just over 1,100 FPS,and doesen't give a fireball or sting your hand. biker

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
When you say stick with the mag cases, can I still load 38 type loads, or only 357 loads? I want a load that me and my 14 year old can plink. I will load some of the 158 grn jacketed with 6.2 grns of Unique in 357 cases and see what happens.
I no longer load 357 rounds for pistols, but if I did, I'd load five grains of Unique in a 38 case, and six grains in a 357 case, with a 158-grain bullet. If you're already set up for 6.2, go ahead and use it, but I wouldn't go much over 5 grains in the shorter case.

I'm also about to tackle the trigger on my 3" SP-101, so I'll heed your warning out keeping all the parts together. I have a big plastic bag already set aside for the job. What did you use to smooth and polish the trigger parts?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I had an SP101 several years ago. It followed Bill Ruger's adage of, "Let's build it as strong as we can & then ADD 30%!. I loved it but not a cc weapon, for sure! Fixed-sight guns like this are sight-regulated for a certain bullet weight, thus yours liked the 158s rather than the 125s, which must've shot way low, as they did in mine. 5 grains of Unique in a .357mag case would be fine, IMHO. Get some Hornady swaged 158SWCHPs....... their lube seems to keep the bore cleaner. jd45

1 - 12 of 12 Posts