Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove from West Wales to Yorkshire (not far by USA standards!) to pick this up today: (JM) Marlin 1895 Cowboy with dodgy Malcolm repro scope:

Here in the UK, these things don't grow on trees and tracking down a "JM" hasn't been easy (had one false start with what turned out to be a "REP" on inspection!)

The serial no. starts with a "91" so I think it's 2009, ie: one of the later JMs, correct me if I'm wrong?

I have everything I need for reloading except brass but tomorrow I'm going round to a mate's place to pick up the only ammo I could find- Remington 405gr SP. Low pressure stuff that will at least let me fire the gun and generate some brass for homeloads. Wouldn't be my choice but he's giving me mate's rates on it and beggars can't be choosers!

I've already taken the scope off it: any idea what size dovetail blank I'll need?

I've put a Williams Ace-in-the-hole rail on it (not sure this will work with the cowboy front site) and will put a 1-4x24 scope on it at some point.

Stripped it for cleaning this evening and installed a trigger-happy kit: lighter break and no "waggle" now!

Took a few rough edges off but proper "slicking" will have to wait til I am home and have my own tools.

I hope I fall in love with this one like I did my 45Colt 1894 Cowboy and .357 1894.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Beautiful Rifle! Congratulations, I know you're going to enjoy it! :tee:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Cheers! Nice rifle!

·
Premium Member
16,773 Posts
Hey Bang,

That is a real beauty!

Skinner Sights has dovetail blanks, Marlin peep sights as well as a variety of excellent sights.

13.7 gr of Universal Clays, under a 405 gr LFP, is giving 1150 fps combined with excellent accuracy. Rings the dingers nicely. Oh, Fed 210 primer.

If you have Unique, same everything, and somewhere between 13.0 and 14.0 gr you will "find" the "sweet" spot.

And yes, you will fall into a severe case of "Marlinitis". LOL

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
Man that's a nice one congrats ..:congrats::congrats:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
After looking at your photo's again, I think I would have left that scope on for a while as an attention getter and conversation piece. Around my area, it would surely draw a crowd!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After looking at your photo's again, I think I would have left that scope on for a while as an attention getter and conversation piece. Around my area, it would surely draw a crowd!
I know where you're coming from but the mounts are missing some screws and I want to get on with load dev and hunting. The scope was effectively free; the dealer who sold me the gun doesn't know if the scope is functional and it was
"Sold-as-seen."

Looking through the scope it appears ok. In time I'll give it a go, for curiosity's sake.

I filed down the dovetail blank this morning so that's one less job to do. I'm about to head over to my mate's place to fire the gun for the first time...

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Excellent find on that rifle!

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
Congrats on a very nice rifle! There's nothing wrong with those Remington 405gr factory loads. I'm sure you'll enjoy your 45-70.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Great catch bangbangman. Hope that scope checks out OK. Even if you don't want to use it they don't come cheap. Could be a good installment on another sweet rifle. Enjoy.

Yesterday afternoon my '06 DOM fired off a few handloads with cast 405rnfp that equal the Rem 405 factory round. Those are just plain fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Great looking gun. The factory Rem 405's should do a good job. I reload some 405 CL's but run them about 1550 fps. Great load in my guide gun.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Love this rifle. Nice optics too. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Nice rifle! Good Luck with her. Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
16,195 Posts
YEHAW ! BY GOLLY IT'S A MARLIN 1895 COWBOY 45-70 !........

CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTIN' THE COWBOY MODEL !

You're gonna love it and be the envy of all your friends! WAY TO GO!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts