Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Refinished the Stock

1K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  Travis 186 
#1 ·
Last week I acquired an 1894c that was made in 2020. I hated the original finish, so I disassembled it the day I brought it home.

I used Tru Oil, pretty happy with the way it turned out. It has some imperfections, but it's better than it was in my opinion.
Blue Wood Musical instrument Air gun Shotgun
Blue Wood Air gun Shotgun Hardwood

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
This is what I used to strip the stock because it's what I had on hand, but it didn't work very well. The Marlin finish is extremely hard, I applied the stripper at least 6-7 times, and it was still a struggle.

I picked up this https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/birchwood-casey-tru-oil-gun-stock-finish-kit when I was at Cabelas and used the stain. The front piece on mine was a good bit lighter after I stripped it, the walnut stain did help even things out.

The instructions say to wait at least 7 days before using the stock sheen and conditioner, not sure if I'll do that or not to reduce the gloss. I finished a scrap piece of walnut with the tru oil, so I can experiment with that.
Liquid Plant Tin Automotive tire Fluid

#10 ·
Nice job and Welcome from Pennsylvania!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.