Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Corbon ammo, as it seems to always be loaded with a reduced muzzle flash powder. I am going to work up some loads for a Model 66 .357 (4" bbl) and the Cast Performance 200 grain hardcast. I was wondering if anyone has #1 loaded this same bullet/results and #2 if you have found a powder that burns clean/reduced flash? I am leaning toward AA2400, but I have only used this in rifles and of course it burns up in the barrel! ha. I just don't want a 3ft flame thrower like the little SP101 I had years ago!

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Re: Reduced Flash .357 mag powders?

The least amount of flash I have ever gotten from heavier loads in a handgun was from VihtaVuori powder. In the .357 Mag, I have had good results from V-V N350. Haven't tried any V-V N110 yet, but would like to get some and give it a go.

In the .40 S&W, I used to use a lot of Alliant Power Pistol, which was pretty clean, very accurate, and the burn rate matched the .40 well for bullets from 155 gr to 180 gr, but the muzzle flash is pretty impressive with that powder. I tried the V-V N350 in the .40, but I think it might be a tad slow for that cartridge. Perhaps, if I ever run across some, I might try V-V 3N37 in the .40 cal.

All of the Vihtavuori powders I have tried so far have been very clean and pretty darned accurate - - so long as I pay attention to the burn rates, relative to the cartridge I am loading for. Some of the biggest problems with Vihtavuori powder (around here) is continuous availability, which is spotty, and the cost, which is higher than Hodgdon, Alliant, Accurate, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DWB. I use VVN140 in a 22-250 AI, I like their powders alot. I have data for the N110, which is supposed to be a great magnum powder for heavy bullets, however, I'm not sure about the muzzle-flash?
I know I'm not going to find any 'zero" flash powder, but that SP101 lit up the range around 6 PM one night,ha! In the woods, I'd like to have more than one shot before going blind, especially if that old sow bear is a problem! :eek:

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Looking at the burn rate chart from the VihtaVuori web-site, they are showing N110 right about even with IMR-4227, H-4198, W-296. For the N350, they are showing that just a fuzz faster than Blue Dot and about even with IMR-800X. So far, the N350 is the only V-V powder I have tried in the heavier loads for the .357, and it worked pretty well, with very little flash. I tried some N320 in the lighter loads for the .357 and some average loads in the .38 Spcl, with pretty good success, but it is hard to justify the expense of VihtaVuori for lighter loads, especially when I have a good supply of Bullseye and W-231/HP-38 on hand for loading the .45 ACP.

Hopefully, someone else will chime in and give us both some more insight with heavier loads in the .357 Magnum. Other than VihtaVuori powders, I have used good, old 2400 in the .357 with good success in heavier loads as well. Haven't cranked any of those off in the darker hours to see what the muzzle flash looks like, but 2400 in the .357 is a good fit for bullets from 125 to 158 gr. - - at least from what loadings I have put together.

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
Something in the mid range of powders is what you are seeking. Maybe Blue Dot.

·
Super Moderator
5,578 Posts
"it is hard to justify the expense of VihtaVuori for lighter loads,"

Boy, you can say that again. Every time I look at the price tag of those powders, unless they also do the dishes and massage my tired back I have a hard time justifying ten to twelve dollars more per pound of that powder.

Even if they left no residue whatsoever and you could eat off the gun after shooting (and clean burning is the only thing that seems to be talked about in justifying the very steep cost......and they aren't clean enough for that) I would question that cost increase.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I've been curious about Vihtavuori powders myself, but like others the price has kept any from following me home.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not to highjack my own thread,ha, but I found the N140 in my 22-250AI to give great velocity with the Hornady 68gr, w/o heating my barrel up. If I shot it alot, the cost would be prohibitive. I don't plan on using/shooting alot of the 200gr loads out of this Model 66 anyhow, so I'm not worried about cost as much. I use BlueDot in my favorite 45 Colt/270 keith load, so I think I'll start there, thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I always worry about Blue Dot, after seeing some warnings for this cartridge or that cartridge. Can't remember the details of the warnings involved with Blue Dot, but I haven't replenished my supply of that after I finished the last can. Made the switch to V-V N350 for a suitable replacement and have been happy. Other than the V-V N350 (if you can put up with the additional cost), I still think 2400 is a great fit for the .357 Magnum, at least in my experience.

In the past, I have used H-110/W-296 for heavier .357 loads as well, and they worked well at getting some pretty impressive velocity, but the muzzle flash was quite something else.

For my lighter, target loads, I am satisfied with W-231/HP-38 in the .357, Bullseye in the .38 Spcl, making the switch to Unique for mid-range loads in both, and 2400 in the .357 when I want more "thump" - - still might have to get out one of these evenings and see how it flashes at or after dusk.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've read reports that AA#9 has pretty low muzzle flash and even though that's what I use I can't verify it, as I've never done any comparisons in low light situations.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
2400 seems "dirty"...in my .35rem w/ 180gr.xtp reduced load.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
2400 has always had a reputation for being a little dirty. Still a darn good powder though for pistol calibers.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Over the course of time I have found that if I want lots of muzzle flash, I use a light copper jacketed bullet and a crap load of a slow burning powder. You could take pictures in a dark room with this combo and get good exposure.

So, if you want less flash, and I do, I found that cast bullets are a big improvement, even with slow burning powders. Increase your success with a heavy bullet and a medium powder like Unique or 2400.

FWIW, Blue Dot has a checkered history in a couple calibers with factory warnings and .357 is one of them. It's the only powder I have thrown out, well, into my garden actually. That stuff is downright scary IMO and when you get to the top of the load limits, all bets are off. Use it if it floats your boat, but I won't use it.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well sir, I do like 2400 in these light charges in the 45-70 and the .375 win. I have a good load with the few handloads I have left for my 45 colt (270 keith) Now you guys have me spooked about BlueDot,ha. I think I'll try the 2400 for the 357 and the next load workout with the 45 colt. Thanks guys. Picked up the little 66 today, all is well so far. Will report back later "when: I fianlly get to the range, snowing again today here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts