Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is a bit recoil sensitive and just does not like 12 gauges or the 444. She does shoot her AR and Henry 22 well. I came across a reduced loading for the 444 and now it's one of her favorite guns to shoot. She can go thru 50 rounds in a sitting and has a ball shooting it.
Load is:
240grn sierra HP
11.0 grains Trail Boss powder
Win Large Rifle primer.
Case 444 marlin mfr. unknown.

These seem to leave the barrel at 44 mag speeds but I have not chronographed them yet. Recoil is very light and accuracy at 50yds from my microgrove is pie plate sized which is fine for what we are doing.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I use a 240 grain cast SWC on top of 12.4 grains of Trail Boss for 1,275 fps and is much more accurate that that at 50 yards and better in a Microgrove barrel. No sign of leading but just make sure you get any lead and copper fouling out before switching to make sure you don't get different types of bullet fouling on top of each other. Very pleasant load to shoot for plinking.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
First let me say welcome to Marlin Owners.

It sounds like you and the Misses are having fun with the 444. If the wife is happy, everybody is happy. Keep up the good work.

PS. For plinking loads you might want to try some cast boolits. It would save you a fist full of dollars. Sounds like a good movie title??

·
Registered
336 Posts
You can load down the 444 to close 44mag levels and have a manageable load.

A friend suggested Trail Boss powder ,load it down to 44 mag levels.
Then it wont kick the tar out of you and still kill deer/hogs.

Disclaimer :
Do your own research ( refer to loading manuals )and stay with in specs for what ever caliber you choose to load.
Err on the side of safety if nothing else.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm guessing that you don't cast. If that is the case, may I suggest the Remington 240gr. It is a solid bullet if you ever go for deer and it is cheap. I think they sell them by the peck.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Be careful!!...if you make the 444 any more fun to shoot, you may not ever get it back from her ;D

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CalvinMD said:
Be careful!!...if you make the 444 any more fun to shoot, you may not ever get it back from her ;D
All part of my plan my friend. :)
It let's me by duplicates and mods easier.
But then again she might be getting a small stainless lever action in 357mag for Christmas.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You sly devil!!...I like your way of thinking

1 - 10 of 10 Posts