Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
I usually just grit my teeth and drop the $ on the counter for the Wild West Guns trigger happy kit because I like other things about that trigger besides the ~3# pull weight.
The last 1895GS (Remlin) I bought had a < 4# trigger out of the box so I'm leaving it alone.
If it ain't broke I don't fix it.
Now I have a spare WWG happy trigger kit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just inherited my 1968 RC and had read all the bad trigger info!Thought this was a little odd? because while floppy, I found it light and crisp breaking so i pulled out the old RCBS trigger gauge and low and behold tried it three times! two checks were 3 lbs and one was 2 3/4 lbs! This was after I had stripped the gun of all parts and cleaned everything with hoopes #9 and put it back together dry no oil! so I assume all is well?, and I will not be fooling with any springs or stoning anything... must have already been done by the previous owner?...When i looked at the hammer surfaces where the sear rides there was absolutely no rubbing marks any where all bluing present "NOS"?.
didn't check the springs or sear surfaces to see if anything was stoned or polished I'm just going to live in ignorant bliss that this is perfect as is.Jim

·
Banned
286 Posts
Am I missing the pics on this? I was reading about the Swany trigger and see the two stickied threads but no pics in either are showing up for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here -- I wonder if all of Swany's pictures were lost when Photobucket went commercial? Used to seeing broken links in that case however. I just got a 1894 and along with my 336 would love to tackle this project one weekend!

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
IMHO--a light trigger belongs on a target competition gun but a hunting gun should be in the 5-10 lbs range for safety especially when in the field with a chambered round walking around with your hunting buddies. We always have a brief discussion before we embark in the field to go over our own agreed upon safety rules. It serves to remind all of safety and zone shooting rules.

Reactions: Kevin.M

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
^^^^^^^^Ah,no!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
After learning to shoot a Ruger M77 with a 10 lb trigger and now doing some of my own smith work and having some with adjustable triggers I say 3-6 lbs on the trigger pull and no creep. I want it to surprise me when it goes off. Even when sighting in on the bench its muchmo betta.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow - a 10lb trigger? A 10lb trigger would make precise shooting virtually impossible for me. I generally hunt with Ruger revolvers that all have 2.5lb triggers or my Sharps 45/90 with an 8oz double set trigger. A trigger finger does not belong anywhere inside the trigger guard unless read to fire. If hunting with others, no round in the chamber is our rule.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Old tang safety Ruger M77's were notorious for hard triggers.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I like my 2+lb triggers on all my Marlins. I have done work on all the triggers and they all have passed rigorous bump tests. I am not a shooter that wants to be surprised when my rifles fires. I want my rifle to fire when my sights are on the target with the least movement possible from the trigger pull. When I have shot a rifle enough to get used to the trigger even when it was heavy and creepy I still had a good idea of when it was going to fire, with training I could also keep movement to a minimum tell it fired but once the trigger broke the extra pull destroyed my follow through. I have dry fired with both heavy and light triggers and I think if you try it you will see the amount of movement with a heavy trigger after the shot is a lot more than with a light pull.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Even for hunting my triggers are not much over three lbs,for target not much over 1-2 lbs or lighter depending on the sport.i have little use for any rifle with a pull over 5 lbs except as a candidate for a...trigger job! Being raised in the era of guns ,even cheap ones ,being qood rifles,maybe not fine rifles but good rifles capable of accurate shooting and an avg.factory pull at of about 3lbs being normal has a lot to do with this..this is also why I don't have many rifles under thirty years old ,and my newest is a1997 production most are from the 50s and 60's,

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks for the help! I took my 1970 anniversary edition 336 chambered in 35 Remington apart and polished the trigger group and mating surfaces a few weeks ago. Got out my Dremel tool, my mothers polish, and my stone. I took that thing apart about 10 times if not more trying to slowly lighten it. The best I had it was about 3 1/2 pounds. But the problem was every time I shot it a handful of times it would resort back to about 5 pounds. I didn’t read the sticky about bending the return spring. I did one tweak and put it back together and it now breaks crisply at 2 1/4 pounds! It’s been collecting dust in my gun safe for the last couple weeks while I’ve been turkey hunting so hopefully it stayed the same.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thanks for the help! I took my 1970 anniversary edition 336 chamberlain 35 Remington apart and polish the trigger group and mating surfaces a few ago. Got out my Dremel tool my polish my mothers and my stone. I took that thing apart about 10 times if not more trying to slowly lighten it. The best I had it was about 3 1/2 pounds. But the problem was every time I shot it a handful of times it would resort back to about 5 pounds. I didn’t read the sticky about bending the return spring. I did one tweak and put it back together and it now breaks crisply at 2 1/4 pounds! It’s been collecting dust in my gun safe for the last couple weeks while I’ve been turkey hunting so hopefully it stayed the same.
Sounds like you did it right. Doing little by little is the way to go. I think having it apart 10 times was about the amount I did on my first one.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I tightened my groups. The same load that shot MOA at 100 yards with cast hollow points I casted up all shot in one little hole today with first three shot group I tried with the lighter trigger pull.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently stoned the trigger on my year old 336....took the trigger from a measured 17lb to 3.5lb.....lost count of the number of times i fitted and removed the trigger to test it while working my way from stupidly heavy trigger to a nice light & crisp trigger.......it had to somewhere on the high side of 40 times

It took my rifle from a not able to stay on an A4 sheet at 100yds with any factory ammo or hand load...... to grouping 2" with a 'just make it go bang and see if this thing has improved' handload.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts